Rolling Gunner (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonpachi

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch)

Post by Jonpachi »

RG OP may be the easiest 1CC I've ever experienced. Finished it on my first try, and I had already had a few drinks. I think I'll do another run for score and see if that adds much to the difficulty.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Correction, as I thought the previous post was the basic edition:

https://www.play-asia.com/rolling-gunne ... /13/70e3mz
Special World

Post by Special World »

Surprised to see so little buzz for this. Just a few weeks til release! Coming out one week before R-Type Final 2 and coming in strong!

Looking forward to something a lil easier with Overpowered. Fun, ugly ass game. Deathsmiles 3 in spaceship form!
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
guigui

Post by guigui »

Special World wrote:Surprised to see so little buzz for this. Just a few weeks til release! Coming out one week before R-Type Final 2 and coming in strong!

Looking forward to something a lil easier with Overpowered. Fun, ugly ass game. Deathsmiles 3 in spaceship form!
Maybe the buzz is small for the physical release because the digital version has been available for a long time now.
Reminds me that I should try it by the way.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Special World

Post by Special World »

> TLB calls you on the phone ring ring ring
> but you aint gonna pick up the phone for no butt ass ugly rolling gunner TLB [dialtone]
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Put on some Frank Sinatra during stage 6. That'll motivate ya to see what spring is like on Jupiter for a change... ;)
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Play-Asia has shipped my physical Switch copy. This generation has been so nuts for shmups. Excited to add another physical cart to the collection!
qmish

Post by qmish »

So i took a listen of OverPower Rolling Gunner soundtrack.

Daaaamn, what a RAVE!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Special World

Post by Special World »

Posted a retrospective on Rolling Gunner in anticipation of +Overpowered’s release! Give it a read here:

https://catstronaut.wordpress.com/2021/ ... er-switch/
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The cutscenes aside, Rolling Gunner's use of prerendered 3D sprites may not be pretty compared to some spritework in doujin shmups like Battle Traverse, however
Special World as Catstronaut wrote:Yes, it is the ugliest shooting game since Metal Black.

Apologize to Senba Takatsuna and Ohno Wepokichi this instant. (ง •̀ w •́)ง
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

great port, glad to feel it running with less latency than the PC version. wish the soundtracks were available digitally! as far as I know they’re only being sold with the special edition physical copy now?
SPM

Post by SPM »

@Special World: Something tells me that you don't quite like the artstyle, but I don't know what it is... :lol:

IMO this game manages to achieve both visual greatness and mediocrity, rather inconsistently.
But the former far outweighs the latter, not to mention the bullets and medals... a joy to behold! :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

This game is great. The any little complaining there is doesn't really make sense but whatevs.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I think it’s a really good game! Hence why I’m excited for Overpowered’s release. Yes, i do think it’s fairly hideous. The level transitions are great flair, though.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

There's just so many far worse-looking doujin shmups out there that used 3D or prerendered 3D sprites though (Blue Wish Resurrection, Die Slave, XSynergyGate). Rolling Gunner is far more successful graphically than they are that it's a bizarrely harsh comment to make. Some of the designs in CAVE's early forays into prerendered 3D sprites in DaiOuJou and Espgaluda (where colours are fairly desaturated and muddy looking compared to Dangun, Dodonpachi, Espgaluda 2, etc) don't hold up to Rolling Gunner either, IMO.

You also don't detail why you think the graphics look bad, you just assert it a couple of times as something we're supposed to take as a given fact. The bullets are crisp, there's options to turn off the glow effect or dim the background, to adjust the hitbox colour, the warning indicators as enemies come onscreen work perfectly, the effects in places like S1 and S5's clouds as well as thunder look good, the backgrounds look nice, bombs and shots look impressively powerful, and so on. The enemy designs are decent even if stuff like S4 midboss is not exceptional looking compared to other 3D/prerendered 3D shmups, or games with truly impressive or stylish bosses like Ikaruga, DDP, Battle Traverse, etc.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I am holding it to the standard of a commercially released game. And i think it looks worse than any Cave game that I can think of. You can disagree! Not a problem! Still a good game! Videogame opinions on the internet!
daphnid

Post by daphnid »

I find this game to be incredibly ugly and cheap looking as well. I put off buying it for a long time for that reason. Picked up Overpowered the other night and wow, it's so easy. It's fun and feels great though. It's nice to have a unique chillout mode for an otherwise insanely hard game.

Considering what Crimzon Clover and Zeroranger were able to pull off as doujin titles there's really no excuse for what Rolling Gunner looks like other than bad taste. The completely static perspective of the ship/objects in the cutscenes is just too much. It looks like iPad shovelware made for 10 year olds. That said I think Crimzon Clover (like a lot of late CAVE) looks like a slot machine.

Shmup aesthetics are in a weird place rn. I love the way the new M2 Aleste is looking though. Very late 90s/Saturn looking, which is hands down my favorite era aesthetically.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It looks like iPad shovelware made for 10 year olds.
If the prerendered 3D sprites aren't your cup of tea that's one thing, but your comments are the sort of tasteless and ungrateful remarks I'd expect from someone with absolutely no experience with Japanese doujin games and how much time and effort it can take to do graphics.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Yeah, I don't get where the "oogly" comments are coming from. Doesn't look any different from Crimzon Clover, and I never saw anyone complain about that one.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Special World wrote:I am holding it to the standard of a commercially released game. And i think it looks worse than any Cave game that I can think of. You can disagree! Not a problem! Still a good game! Videogame opinions on the internet!

Couldn’t agree more. Between this and Rtype final 2, recent releases have been very disappointing in the art/style department.

I know a lot of players on this board are able to disregard visuals if the gameplay is tight, but that isn’t me. A big part of the reason I was drawn to this genre in the early days were the visuals and presentation.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I don’t like the way Rolling Gunner looks, but I think it’s a kickass game and one of the best STGs on Switch (and STGs of the last ten or fifteen years, period). Super fun and great systems. I do find most of the bosses to be charming in their way, and I think the level transitions look great.

To be honest, the more I play it, the more I think it’s a lifer of a game. Even Casual mode is just super tight and enjoyable, and throw rank on top of that for original and expert? It’s a hell of a thing. Cave fans would do themselves a major disservice to write it off. It’s up there, is what I’m saying. If only I was about 250% better at STGs!

FWIW i actually do think Crimzon Clover is ugly as well because of the visual noise. Got that weird prerendered look in a very unique way. That being said it’s also a major graphical achievement at the same time. So to me it’s like impressive and unappealing all at once. I like that game okay too, just not as much as Rolling Gunner by any stretch. I should try the Switch version and see how it goes.
Jasonbartfast

Post by Jasonbartfast »

I started playing this recently and I'm wondering: is 4 lives the max?
SPM

Post by SPM »

Jasonbartfast wrote:I started playing this recently and I'm wondering: is 4 lives the max?
Nope!
Spoiler
2 extends and 1 extra life in stage 4
Spoiler
Don't bomb at the midboss
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jasonbartfast

Post by Jasonbartfast »

Cool, thanks! A few times now I thought I was at 4 lives and got another one in stage 4 and it didn't register but it's possible that I'm just wrong :) extends are every 20 million, yeah?
SPM

Post by SPM »

Depends on the mode. You can see them in the title screen, at the bottom
Jasonbartfast

Post by Jasonbartfast »

Cool, thanks again :) I'm going for a casual 1cc before hopping up to normal. Almost there!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Be sure to share your progress, even if it isn't a 1cc, in our score thread!
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

So is there pretty much no hope of a PC release that isn't physical for this?
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
SPM

Post by SPM »

Well... First there was the physical PC, then Switch, now PS4... I'm sure a digital release will come to PC at some point as well. IIRC the publishers were asked this and they said they couldn't share more info about it or something along those lines...