Which of the following PC engine shooters is more difficult?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ajora

Which of the following PC engine shooters is more difficult?

Post by Ajora »

Image Fight or Tatsujin? I know that Image Fight on the PC Engine is often regarded as the hardest shooter of all time, but from what I've played, Tatsujin seems a little harder.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
professor ganson

Re: Which of the following PC engine shooters is more diffic

Post by professor ganson »

I have been tempted in the past to buy tatsujin for PC Engine, but the crazy price... I did have the PCB for a time and that was pretty insane. I can imagine a cropped version would be even more difficult.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

I'm only really familiar with the arcade versions but this list Perikles made has a section for 16-bit games where he put a Tatsujin PCE 1-ALL just beneath an Image Fight PCE ALL, but ranks a 2-ALL of Tatsujin higher. It seems like the PCE version of Image Fight isn't quite as brutal as its monstrous arcade cousin.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

I own both of these in the PCE, and IMO Tatsujin is harder. Anyone who 1 cc's that is a serious badass 8)
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I did a 1-Life clear of the PCE Image Fight on Leader Class and I’d say that Tatsujin is definitely harder. Image Fight is a little more methodical and once you have a game plan sorted out it isn’t too bad, whereas Tatsujin relies more on faster movement and precise dodging, with dense bullet patterns. They’re both pretty brutal, though.

Here’s a the replay I did last year for a reference.

https://youtu.be/QdPreeaM6v4

My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Freaking amazing video-- thanks for sharing that!
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

I can't speak on either of the PC Engine versions... therefore, I probably shouldn't speak at all... BUT... this is the internet.

I own both Image Fight on Saturn, and Truxton on Genesis(not sure if difficultly was tampered with in these versions) but, Image Fight was too much of a fight for me to care about my image.
That game seems to be in the era of "boom you're dead" type shooters. Which I do like. The "pop-out" tanks in the Raiden series I've always respected. However, I couldn't get an foot-hold in Image Fight to propel me past the second stage. It has too many ship variables; speed, options, that cursed "move in the opposite direction you intend to shoot" non-sense. Anyone of those alone would have been fine, but due to the type of "surprise you're dead" game it is, coupled with the amount of variation in firepower/navigation it always seemed a tad too overwhelming for me. I always had something more interesting to play that had a more tolerable learning curve. Basically, I never gave it a real good chance to impress me in the long run. Usually ended up playing X-Multiply when that disc was in my Saturn.

Turxton on the other-hand... I love the feel/look/sound of that game too much. I've never put in the time to try and "git gud" but I've casually made it several levels in many-a-times. Fire Shark is my true Toaplan love, but Turxton is cut from the same cloth.

I feel like Turxton as opposed to Image Fight allows the player a stiff challenge without overwhelming them with ancillary constructs. Granted, for a seasoned Image Fight player, these "ancillary constructs" may be seen as added depth. I just never had a reason to care about them because the game dosen't nurture growth, it merely gives you the tools.
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:I did a 1-Life clear of the PCE Image Fight on Leader Class and I’d say that Tatsujin is definitely harder. Image Fight is a little more methodical and once you have a game plan sorted out it isn’t too bad, whereas Tatsujin relies more on faster movement and precise dodging, with dense bullet patterns. They’re both pretty brutal, though.
Interesting

This makes sense to me. Perhaps the reason why I found Image Fight more difficult. I am very much a moment-to-moment "scramble" type player. I usually never try to plan and plot when playing shooters. Hence why I may have found Truxton more tolerable. And perhaps why Zanac and Zanac Neo are some of my favorite games.

I do feel there is a happy middle ground, and I believe that to be the early Raiden series(including Fighters). For me it's the perfect mix of "scramble" and "routing".
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:I did a 1-Life clear of the PCE Image Fight on Leader Class and I’d say that Tatsujin is definitely harder. Image Fight is a little more methodical and once you have a game plan sorted out it isn’t too bad, whereas Tatsujin relies more on faster movement and precise dodging, with dense bullet patterns. They’re both pretty brutal, though.

Here’s a the replay I did last year for a reference.

https://youtu.be/QdPreeaM6v4

Your videos never cease to amaze me, fantastic run * really needs to be a clapping smilie on here*
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

professor ganson: Cheers, it was a stressful run :)

garrz32: Cheers, that’s why I got walked off when the last boss was exploding :)
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

ImageFight has real difficulties. The port is kinda jank, so the highest difficulty is out of control.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

garrz32 wrote:I own both of these in the PCE, and IMO Tatsujin is harder. Anyone who 1 cc's that is a serious badass 8)
Ok, I gotta bump this thread to ask...what game is this ship from? It's so cool.

Craft_XIII wrote:I can't speak on either of the PC Engine versions... therefore, I probably shouldn't speak at all... BUT... this is the internet.

I own both Image Fight on Saturn, and Truxton on Genesis(not sure if difficultly was tampered with in these versions) but, Image Fight was too much of a fight for me to care about my image.
That game seems to be in the era of "boom you're dead" type shooters. Which I do like. The "pop-out" tanks in the Raiden series I've always respected. However, I couldn't get an foot-hold in Image Fight to propel me past the second stage. It has too many ship variables; speed, options, that cursed "move in the opposite direction you intend to shoot" non-sense. Anyone of those alone would have been fine, but due to the type of "surprise you're dead" game it is, coupled with the amount of variation in firepower/navigation it always seemed a tad too overwhelming for me. I always had something more interesting to play that had a more tolerable learning curve. Basically, I never gave it a real good chance to impress me in the long run. Usually ended up playing X-Multiply when that disc was in my Saturn.

Turxton on the other-hand... I love the feel/look/sound of that game too much. I've never put in the time to try and "git gud" but I've casually made it several levels in many-a-times. Fire Shark is my true Toaplan love, but Turxton is cut from the same cloth.

I feel like Turxton as opposed to Image Fight allows the player a stiff challenge without overwhelming them with ancillary constructs. Granted, for a seasoned Image Fight player, these "ancillary constructs" may be seen as added depth. I just never had a reason to care about them because the game dosen't nurture growth, it merely gives you the tools.
I only own MD Tatsujin so I can't compare, but since this thread was made, Shmup Junkie has done a pretty thorough video comparing the MD & PCE ports of Tatsujin:

https://youtu.be/vUzHoJSLn4A

His conclusion is that the PCE version is tougher than MD.

Continuing with his stuff as a resource, in his "Top 5 Hardest PCE Shmups" video he includes Image Fight II, but doesn't place the first one in the top 5. He does rank Tatsujin up there though (and ahead of Image Fight II), saying ultimately the only way to get through is to memorize where every bullet will be before it's even fired:

https://youtu.be/_d4-6NrvI90
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I believe that's the ship from Lethal Thunder. If not, then it totally looks like it.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
MJR

Post by MJR »

Megadrive version of Tatsujin as Truxton is the easiest version existing. On the arcade, Tatsujin is harder than Truxton, which is slightly harder as the megadrive version (I know, because I changed it by changing the jumper leading on my PCB board so I have been able to play both and compare). PCE version of Tatsujin I have on my everdrive card, and it is easily the hardest version I have played. Not 100% sure if I am ever going to need original copy of that one.
ShmupJunkie

Post by ShmupJunkie »

Just as a side note, since I randomly came across this thread. I wasn't placing the games in order of difficulty in my Top 5 videos I made way back. More just what made sense and which I wanted to feature first. Also why I didn't number them. I would agree Tatsujin PCE is definitely harder than Image Fight, which is absolutely easier than the arcade and the Saturn port. Image Fight II is about on par with the first so I featured it being a PCE exclusive. I also find it's penalty zone pretty insane, forcing you to clear it with a pea shooter and no power ups. But if we're discussing hardest PCE shooters, Rayxanber II takes top billing. You can continue forever and eventually finish it, but for a 1-All it's as much luck as it is skill starting from Stage 4. That's not a game I ever personally 1CC'd nor care to attempt to. Cool game with great music, but the gameplay balance is out of whack with a lot of RNG in certain moments. It's not a game anyone can pick up and know they'll reliably 1CC on any particular run.
Creating Shmup Content for the Masses
https://www.youtube.com/shmupjunkie
MJR

Post by MJR »

I definitely second the insane difficulty of Rayxanber II. I tried it for half an hour but was left scratching my head. It's a pity, since the pixel work is fantastic on that one.