PC Shmups in Fullscreen

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Anim8

PC Shmups in Fullscreen

Post by Anim8 »

Couldn't find a topic on this so sorry if I missed it.

I noticed that many shmups look really poor(fuzzy/blurry) when in fullscreen mode on PC.
I went looking a better option and by changing the full-screen mode over to a increased scale factor it looks so much better.

So I took some screenshots and the difference is massive. (You may need to zoom in to get the image 1:1 on your monitor)
Game is Mushihimesama and my monitor is 1440p.

The game by default full screen looks like this: :?
https://i.imgur.com/ON77hkR.jpg

Using scale factor 2:
https://i.imgur.com/NCO4vuv.jpg

Using scale factor 2, with AA turned on:
https://i.imgur.com/mW4YWj8.jpg

After seeing the difference I plan on sticking with the scale mode turned on.
Does this not bother anyone else as I couldn't find a topic and why not include scale factor in all games options by default?
Jaimers

Re: PC Shmups in Fullscreen

Post by Jaimers »

Did you try turning off smoothing in the game options?
Because smoothing tends to make the games look blurry.
Anim8

Post by Anim8 »

Jaimers wrote:Did you try turning off smoothing in the game options?
Because smoothing tends to make the games look blurry.
All screenshots posted was with the smoothing turned off.
Switching between smoothing on/off made very little difference, in that it still looked blurry either way.

I had to use a 3rd party app to make the full-screen mode look nice and clear/sharp.
The app I was using is called Lossless Scaling for reference.

This: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9930 ... ss_Scaling
tate

Post by tate »

Scaling that is not integer, or at least non-nearest neighbor is a pet peeve of mine.

As I understand it, the problem results from programs using the GPU to scale from a non-native resolution, since all GPUs introduce filtering when scaling. There are threads on at least Nvidia and AMD forums that have been asking for integer scaling for years, which is why Lossless Scaling on Steam arguably came about. I use Borderless Gaming, which appears to operate similarly. In the case of Mushihimesama, since the screen is rendered at 720p, using Lossless Scaling at 2X provides a pixel-perfect image on your 1440p monitor. The problem, of course, is that not all games work with one or both apps. Many older 480p games don't work with Borderless Gaming, so I've settled for monitor scaling, which is at least better than what my GPUs serve up.
MathU

Post by MathU »

You know you can avoid all this, including the disgusting Steam DRM, if you just emulate it in MAME.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

MathU wrote:You know you can avoid all this, including the disgusting Steam DRM, if you just emulate it in MAME.
I'm a casual lurker, but whenever I see you post it's only to complain about Steam. Can you tell me what's wrong with the DRM, it would help me to understand a lot.
MathU

Post by MathU »

The problem with DRM is that it's an ancillary background process to police the user's legitimate use of software. There's not a lot of interesting gameplay discussion around here lately, but there is an unfortunately high amount of tolerance for anti-consumer behavior from a niche hardcore gaming community that ostensibly has a lot of self-respect. It's not like I enjoy being attacked for pointing this stuff out, but someone's gotta do it.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

MathU wrote:You know you can avoid all this, including the disgusting Steam DRM, if you just emulate it in MAME.
Isn't mushihimesama less accurate in mame? Resolutions can be a hassle in mame too.
MathU wrote:The problem with DRM is that it's an ancillary background process to police the user's legitimate use of software. There's not a lot of interesting gameplay discussion around here lately, but there is an unfortunately high amount of tolerance for anti-consumer behavior from a niche hardcore gaming community that ostensibly has a lot of self-respect. It's not like I enjoy being attacked for pointing this stuff out, but someone's gotta do it.
Steam isn't the worst DRM out there and there are many excellent games exclusive to it. Nobody's attacking you. We're just tried of seeing the same thing posted every time steam comes up. Bringing it up constantly isn't going to make people stop using it.
Anim8

Post by Anim8 »

I generally prefer GOG over Steam for digital but there is often not much choice outside of Steam legally.
Also not all games on Steam necessarily have DRM.

Anyway my topic was about PC versions of shmups(fullscreen) in particular, which MAME doesn't avoid/solve.