Shmup Goals 2019 - Doomsday Edition

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Plasmo

Re: Shmup Goals 2019 - Doomsday Edition

Post by Plasmo »

Shepardus wrote:(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2018:
Some guy was crazy enough to beat my Wing Force record.
He's most likely a cheater tho. He uploaded fake runs in the past.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yeah, AZK-BAC has put out many unmarked TAS runs, I don't believe any of his replays anymore.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

Goals from hardest to easiest:
(1) 2-7 on dodonpachi
No bomb of course. Haven't played this in a few years. I was never consistent with first loop (lonsing anything from 1 to 4 lives in a median run). Of course this leaves very little margin for second loop.

Another thing is, well, the 2-6 boss. It has two different "modes". And when it switches to the second mode, I "think" (I have kind of forgotten so I maybe incorrect here), the circular pattern (with small gear like bullets) just goes crazy. And I have no idea what (if anything) "causes" it to switch into this different mode.

Also I play it on 60fps, because it just runs too (visually) choppy for me on 58. This makes the A-type ship (which I use) very "slippery", further adding to inconsistency. I should also add that the relatively high length of runs is a huge factor here (as it is in any other game). The game is long, and even if I die as early as 1-5, the chance of a run reset would be low (you just don't want to go through 1-1 to 1-4 over again). Getting the same goal from start of 2-1 is much easier ..... like around two to three times easier (in fact, I think I might already have done it during practice before ...... I am quite sure I have gotten to 2-6 boss at least).

(2) 2-4 on progear
No bomb again. I think if I had a lot of time to play everyday, I would just want to clear it (or at least get to tlb) ..... very fun game. But I think, as it is, I would be happier with a realistic goal (also keeping in mind the other goals) ........ so that I won't be disappointed that I didn't even reach an easy goal do able with decent practice.

If I succeed in it this year, then probably next year 2-5 would be a good goal. But I think I am getting too far ahead of myself.

(3) 2-All Storm Blade
Haven't played this in a very long time. I have a no bomb from long time ago. Should give it some time and get a nmnb.

(4) Some other game
Perhaps clear two very easy games or clear a somewhat harder game.

===========

Finally, keep at it on Strikers-II, so I can get consistent enough that by the end of next year I would either be able to complete my goal (in this game) or significantly close to it. This is a bit too long term I think, but that's how it goes.

The goal is no miss, min. bombs (I think it should probably around 3+/- 1 in my route) and also significantly reduced use of charge shot. The bombs being 2-3 boss opening, 2-4 turrets, 2-6 boss second form. And then perhaps somewhere in first loop or in 2-8? Haven't played these particular parts in long time, so I don't remember.

===========

I expect to achieve only 1 or 2 goals if this is one of the "usual" years, where one of the following happens: (i) unfortunately, lose motivation or interest (ii) simply too many sporadic breaks, which leads towards (i) basically (iii) Being unable to play for extended duration (of few months or even more), which again leads to (i).

If I play consistently (which I have at least been doing for last 2 months), then I expect to achieve 3 or 4 goals. That's part of the reason for writing this, so at least I can "organise" more neatly the rough idea of what I want to do.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Personal Favourite Achievements of 2018:
  • No-Miss 2-ALL of R-Type
  • Clearing Raiden (US) despite it ruthlessly glitching out and eating my recovery full power-up
  • Getting some pretty neat PBs in Macross (7 Mil) and Macross II Medium Course (3.1 Mil)
  • Being alive in the same timeline as Gulf War II
Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2018:
  • Playing 30 minutes of Mars Matrix all year, even though it was supposedly my main goal
  • Failing to clear 1942 despite getting 65+ minutes through multiple times. More than one run ended on the final combat stage (31/32)
  • Failing to realize 1942 is lowkey c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶r̶b̶a̶g̶e̶ un-groovy and not dropping this goofy kusoge sooner
  • Dropping Storm Blade right before the 2-ALL due to boredom and random scoring nonsense
Favourite Achievements by Others of 2018:
As always, there's plenty of noteworthy achievements, but the ones that comes to mind are:
  • Fufufu and Y.Saito's Stunfest performances
  • Perikles' clear of Argus. This is a game I expect very few others will even attempt to clear any time soon
  • Dent's clear of Gun.Smoke. It was really fun to follow along for this one, I look forward more of your streams in 2019
  • BareKnuckleRoo's No-Reflect run of Giga Wing. Very interesting to see a game I'm familiar with being played from a completely different angle
Goals for 2019:
  • 300 billion + Clear in Mars Matrix, but for real this time
  • Let's go for another Psikyo 2-ALL now that Sengoku Ace is in the bag. Probably Strikers 1999
  • Mahou Daisakusen 2-ALL, even if the loop scares the living shit out of me
  • Clear Parodius Da!, Rayforce, Crimzon Clover: World Ignition (Arcade and/or Boost), and either Battle Garegga or Armed Police Batrider (Advanced)
[OPTIONAL] CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS:
  • Make lyrics for the Gulf War II soundtrack and upload yourself singing them
  • Put 5 hours aside to Reach the 11th loop in Vimana and beat my score. Give me a reason to play this game until my flesh rots right off my bones
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
horaceappleton

Post by horaceappleton »

Personal Favorite Achievements of 2018:
  • *Getting an A score with Silver Sword in Battle Garegga.
    *Not playing only shmups / letting go of games I don't actually like playing.
Goals For 2019:
  • *C or D clear of Garegga with Silver Sword.
    *Battle Traverse Hard 2-ALL.
    *Gradius V clear.
    *Play a wider variety of shmups: I have my eye on Night Raid, Twinbee Yahho and Detana Twinbee, and I want to look more into non-bullet hell doujin games.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Goal for 2019:

For the shmups coming out in “early 2019” to fkn come out already :lol: