Dangan GB - free new Game Boy shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ghegs

Dangan GB - free new Game Boy shmup

Post by Ghegs »

Stumbled upon this.
Dangan GB is a short simplistic boss-rush/bullet-hell shmup released for the Game Boy to celebrate the console's 30th anniversary.

Some features:
  • 6 unique bosses with multiple phases
  • no bullet flicker
  • no slowdown
  • no tearing
  • plenty of bullets
https://snorpung.itch.io/dangan-gb

Didn't give it a go yet, but the video is certainly impressive.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
M.Knight

Re: Dangan GB - free new Game Boy shmup

Post by M.Knight »

I have given it a try earlier, and while danmaku style patterns on the Gameboy is rather unusual and welcome, I feel like the patterns are too slow to be enjoyable. They are not easy as you don't have a lot of space to move around, but they feel way too slow to get you on your toes. Besides, the bosses move around a whole lot in obnonxious ways while your shot is super narrow. I like having to move a lot but here it doesn't work too well with the very dense patterns.

I am not fond of the shot accuracy mechanic where your end-of-boss bonus gets penalized if some of your shots miss the boss. At least the girl that appears on that bonus breakdown screen is rather cute though lol.

Also, I am not sure bosses actually time out. The furthest I've gone to is Boss 3 and I wanted to bypass his obnonxious pattern by making it move to a side and then move on the gigantic safe zone on the upper half on the opposite side where no bullets are fired at all, and just peacefully wait until the phase is over. Not only did the attack keep going on and on as the patterns only seemingly change depending on boss health and not also time, but when the timer reached 0, the boss was still there, spewing bullets.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
FRO

Re: Dangan GB - free new Game Boy shmup

Post by FRO »

I haven't had a chance to play this yet, but with my affinity for the Game Boy, I will definitely be doing so! I need to get a flash cart at some point, so I can actually try this on real hardware.