Horizon Shift '81 now on Switch eShop - Flipgrip compatible

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DirtyOstrich

Horizon Shift '81 now on Switch eShop - Flipgrip compatible

Post by DirtyOstrich »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know my new switch SHMUP, Horizon Shift '81 was just launched on the Switch eShop.

It's basically a mix of all my favorite 80's arcade games squashed into one, to make something that hopefully feels a bit fresh.

Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/DaKhkTYu5UM

It's been reviewing surprisingly well so far too.

Defunct just reviewed it and had this to say "This is one of the best shoot 'em ups available on the Nintendo Switch"!
Here's his video review: https://youtu.be/8d5rS_12yQ4

And here's some screens.
GFoyle

Re: Horizon Shift '81 now on Switch eShop - Flipgrip compati

Post by GFoyle »

Hi! Bought it out of curiosity and to show support to all shmup developers!

Anyway, positive first impressions from first 10 minutes I had to try it, definitely enjoyed the gameplay, though I need some time to adjust to the controls.

Only thing I found strange is that I don't hear any sound effect when I hit a boss, is that intentional design choice for some reason? Also I would really like the sound effect from shooting to be a bit louder to give better feedback (I raised the overall sound effect volume to be same as background music, but it didn't help in this regard).
Marc

Post by Marc »

Got this on my watch list, payday today so will be picking up later for sure.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
DirtyOstrich

Post by DirtyOstrich »

Marc wrote:Got this on my watch list, payday today so will be picking up later for sure.
Oh wow, thank you :)
I hope you like it!
DirtyOstrich

Post by DirtyOstrich »

GFoyle wrote: Only thing I found strange is that I don't hear any sound effect when I hit a boss, is that intentional design choice for some reason? Also I would really like the sound effect from shooting to be a bit louder to give better feedback (I raised the overall sound effect volume to be same as background music, but it didn't help in this regard).
Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it

Regarding the audio...originally I did have audio on the boss hits and the ship shot itself was louder, but I found it really annoying.
Playing again though, I think it might have been because I was using headphones and playing the game for 100's of hours :)

I'm putting together a patch now, so I'll see if I can get these added. Thank you for the feedback :)
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

DirtyOstrich wrote:
Regarding the audio...originally I did have audio on the boss hits and the ship shot itself was louder, but I found it really annoying.
Playing again though, I think it might have been because I was using headphones and playing the game for 100's of hours :)

I'm putting together a patch now, so I'll see if I can get these added. Thank you for the feedback :)
Good! It feel's really strange, almost like a bug because there is no audio feedback with bosses, especially because you have feedback from other types of enemies. I have always thought that some audio feedback from hitting enemies is a good thing as well as sound effect from shooting.
DirtyOstrich

Post by DirtyOstrich »

GFoyle wrote:
DirtyOstrich wrote:
Good! It feel's really strange, almost like a bug because there is no audio feedback with bosses, especially because you have feedback from other types of enemies. I have always thought that some audio feedback from hitting enemies is a good thing as well as sound effect from shooting.
It is officially on the patch list :)
I'll drop a message here when the patch goes live. Takes a while to get approved by Nintendo though :(

Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Could you consider adding custom button mapping feature at some point? The current setup is fine when playing with a joycon/pro controller, but I tend to play all shmups with arcade stick and the setup wasn't that great for that (in the Hori sticks, R and L are in reserve order, you have R on left and L or right, which makes it even more annoying in this game).
DirtyOstrich

Post by DirtyOstrich »

GFoyle wrote: Could you consider adding custom button mapping feature at some point? The current setup is fine when playing with a joycon/pro controller, but I tend to play all shmups with arcade stick and the setup wasn't that great for that (in the Hori sticks, R and L are in reserve order, you have R on left and L or right, which makes it even more annoying in this game).
Yeah man, I'm looking at adding that in a patch a bit further down the line, but won't be able to add in the next one as it's due next week.
I could add another option just for arcade sticks though. What would the ideal setup be for you?
DirtyOstrich

Post by DirtyOstrich »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop off a few codes for Horizon Shift '81 on the Switch...Merry Christmas!!!

EU:
C018XXG5QFD0KSGG
C018XXG6MJ4VTT4G

US:
C018QY22SMFKQWW4
C018QY237SJ0TF71

Aus:
C018XXKGFYG1VWC5
C018XXKH9F8PCHQQ

Please can you leave a comment to say you've taken a code?

Cheers,

Paul
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

DirtyOstrich wrote:EU:
C018XXG5QFD0KSGG
Well thank ye and Merry Christmas to you as well, I took this one.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Kanara

Post by Kanara »

Thanks, used AU:C018XXKGFYG1VWC5
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Just a heads up that both US codes have been used. I guess people can't be bothered to say they did.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

DirtyOstrich wrote:
GFoyle wrote: Could you consider adding custom button mapping feature at some point? The current setup is fine when playing with a joycon/pro controller, but I tend to play all shmups with arcade stick and the setup wasn't that great for that (in the Hori sticks, R and L are in reserve order, you have R on left and L or right, which makes it even more annoying in this game).
Yeah man, I'm looking at adding that in a patch a bit further down the line, but won't be able to add in the next one as it's due next week.
I could add another option just for arcade sticks though. What would the ideal setup be for you?
I didn't realise there was already few different button setup options available in the game as those weren't under the settings, where one usually finds those... I have to try the existing ones first to see if there is one which would be ok for me already.