Do you think that playing shmups improves your patience?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
El_Capitan

Do you think that playing shmups improves your patience?

Post by El_Capitan »

I was wondering if playing shmups helps you deal with frustration.

I'm too new to shmups to be able to tell or not. There have been times in which I was playing a shump a little bit everyday and I got to a really difficult part that I stop playing for an entire week. I got so frustrated with playing, especially with bullet hells that I start to develop a negative connotation to playing.

I was wondering if you guys have develop the quality of patience and dealing with frustration. What has been your experience?
Craft_XIII

Re: Do you think that playing shmups improves your patience?

Post by Craft_XIII »

I guess it all depends on how you approach playing them. I play them mostly for the phantasmagoria and moment to moment action. I've never really gotten caught-up in the 1cc mind frame. If I do get stuck in a particular section of a game I usually switch games, come back to it later with fresh mind/eyes.

I grew up in an era where most games were very-much trial and error/rinse and repeat. There wasn't any internet, and video game magazines only covered a small portion of games once a month. If you wanted to play a game, you had to figure it out. If you were lucky a kid at school, or at the arcade, may have played the same game and could give you a few tips on how they played.

So, I guess that maybe I've just been conditioned to have a bit more patience when it comes to games.
Not sure if my patience can be fully credited to shmups/shooters genre, but I do think that playing "retro" and "arcade" type games may have contributed to a more patient approach.

However, outside of gaming? I have very poor patience.