Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei remakes announced

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
professor ganson

Re: Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei remakes announced

Post by professor ganson »

Gamer707b wrote: This is the main reason Ive kept my original Xbox. Orta was an amazing experience for me when it came out. Man, I haven't touched it in years. I might have to change that.
Same here! I still have an original XBOX and a few games that were most meaningful to me, with Orta at the top of the list (and Project Gotham Racing up there as well).

Orta was my original exposure to the series, and I'll admit: it was hard to go back to the Saturn games because they didn't have the same eye candy. I guess that makes me a shallow gamer. So be it. The PS2 release of PD was on my list for a long time and then I never quite got excited enough to actually spend the cash.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Oh yes this brings back memories of my first time playing a Sega Saturn. It was at blockbuster and they had Zwei running at a kiosk. I was a kid then and I decided to give the game a try. I don't know how long I was playing but at the end of my session I had reached chapter 5. The game took my breath away and from there left a gaming experience I will always remember.

The experience at the time felt like I was playing a VR game. My favorite chapter was in the forest battling it out with that monkey ape type boss swinging from the branches. I felt like the dragon rider himself.

As for the news of this port. I am not hyped one bit until we get some developers with a good reputation involved.

I'd actually like to see Smilebit re-make these titles to be honest. They did a fantastic job with Orta.
Smilebit exceeded my expectation when they made Orta. I felt as if I played Zwei for the first time again.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Shelcoof wrote:Oh yes this brings back memories of my first time playing a Sega Saturn. It was at blockbuster and they had Zwei running at a kiosk. I was a kid then and I decided to give the game a try. I don't know how long I was playing but at the end of my session I had reached chapter 5. The game took my breath away and from there left a gaming experience I will always remember.

The experience at the time felt like I was playing a VR game. My favorite chapter was in the forest battling it out with that monkey ape type boss swinging from the branches. I felt like the dragon rider himself.

As for the news of this port. I am not hyped one bit until we get some developers with a good reputation involved.

I'd actually like to see Smilebit re-make these titles to be honest. They did a fantastic job with Orta.
Smilebit exceeded my expectation when they made Orta. I felt as if I played Zwei for the first time again.

Smilebit was awesome in the early 00's, but they and a bunch of other Sega owned teams got dissolved many years ago.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Gamer707b wrote:
Smilebit was awesome in the early 00's, but they and a bunch of other Sega owned teams got dissolved many years ago.
First Team Amdromeda and now Smilebit.... there is no hope for a remake of both Panzer Dragoon games. I mean c'mon Crimson Dragon was received horribly. It's better to just leave it alone to be honest.

That said I'm going to go now and pick up Crimson Dragon. Picked up an XBone not to long ago and forgot all about that game.
neontropics

Post by neontropics »

This is cool if only to get more people playing Panzer Dragoon.

I picked up a Saturn and Panzer Dragoon Zwei a couple months ago and damn that game is amazing. The gameplay is some of the best on-rail shooting (only SNES Star Fox or N64 Sin & Punishment come close IMO). The atmosphere is just fantastic - the dragon feels alive, as does the world which uses the blocky 32-bit textures perfectly to create a gritty, lived-in feel. It reminds me of Star Wars (OG trilogy) in how fully realized the world is, to the point where I'm almost considering picking up the $500 Panzer Dragoon Saga. I'll likely just try and get the action replay custom backup booting thing working instead.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

neontropics wrote:This is cool if only to get more people playing Panzer Dragoon.

I picked up a Saturn and Panzer Dragoon Zwei a couple months ago and damn that game is amazing. The gameplay is some of the best on-rail shooting (only SNES Star Fox or N64 Sin & Punishment come close IMO). The atmosphere is just fantastic - the dragon feels alive, as does the world which uses the blocky 32-bit textures perfectly to create a gritty, lived-in feel. It reminds me of Star Wars (OG trilogy) in how fully realized the world is, to the point where I'm almost considering picking up the $500 Panzer Dragoon Saga. I'll likely just try and get the action replay custom backup booting thing working instead.
who who who hold your horses for a second!

Panzer Dragoon Saga is an RPG btw lol
Nothing like the original action packed rail shooter you experienced.

That said though Panzer Dragoon Saga compliments both games really well. When you play the RPG you'll see references from the previous two games. I was loving every moment of Saga when I saw them.

The RPG is somewhat of a slow start and is very short! But as you play through the game it picks up and doesn't stop climbing until your done!

I'm not a huge RPG fan but PDS is by far my favorite RPG. The battle system is extremely fun and strategic. None of this Final Fantasy Turn base crap where you grind. Winning battles requires a lot of thought and it feels almost like an action game once the pace picks up.

I'd pay the asking price of 500$ easily but I already own the game though lol.

I'd also recommend getting Orta if you can. It's XBone BC and it's one of the best Panzer's available.

You really hit a soft spot when you mentioned the gritty graphics of Panzer. I absolutely love the graphics! The gritty saturn texture really add character to the style. Man I have to go back and play me some Panzer on the Saturn at some point.

As far as Rail shooters go I'd rate Starfox 64 as one of the best ones. SNES Starfox was fun for its time but it has aged greatly.

My favorite list of Rail Shooters
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei
- Panzer Dragoon [Sega Ages PS2 version my favorite]
- Starfox 64
- Sin and Punishment Star Successor
- Sin and Punishment

I can't think of anything else. Anyone want to add any that have not been mentioned?
neontropics

Post by neontropics »

Shelcoof wrote: I'm not a huge RPG fan but PDS is by far my favorite RPG. The battle system is extremely fun and strategic. None of this Final Fantasy Turn base crap where you grind. Winning battles requires a lot of thought and it feels almost like an action game once the pace picks up.

I'd pay the asking price of 500$ easily but I already own the game though lol.

I'd also recommend getting Orta if you can. It's XBone BC and it's one of the best Panzer's available.

You really hit a soft spot when you mentioned the gritty graphics of Panzer. I absolutely love the graphics! The gritty saturn texture really add character to the style. Man I have to go back and play me some Panzer on the Saturn at some point.
Hah yep I know it's an RPG, always heard it was amazing from the few people whop played it. I just really liked the Panzer Dragoon world and I do like the better 32 bit RPGs. Short and sweet is pretty perfect for me these days too.

The PAL XBOX 360 backwards compatibility with Orta was finally patched in April 2018(!!) apparently ( https://www.panzerdragoonlegacy.com/new ... xbox-360-s ), so looks like I can pick up that game now!
Shelcoof wrote: As far as Rail shooters go I'd rate Starfox 64 as one of the best ones. SNES Starfox was fun for its time but it has aged greatly.

My favorite list of Rail Shooters
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei
- Panzer Dragoon [Sega Ages PS2 version my favorite]
- Starfox 64
- Sin and Punishment Star Successor
- Sin and Punishment

I can't think of anything else. Anyone want to add any that have not been mentioned?
Omega Boost is a bit less on rails but is really good, definitely worth playing!

Otherwise I don't really have any - Rez is a great experience but not that amazing in regards to gameplay. I was in Japan recently and picked up Titan Wars for Saturn and Astro Trooper Vanark and Gamera 2000 for PSX which are all supposed to be pretty decent, but I haven't really delved into them yet.

I do like Star Fox SNES more than 64, mostly because the shooting and dodging still feels very tight to this day whereas 64 was mostly homing shots, which I don't feel are as satisfying, and there seemed to be less focus on pure dodging of shots and the environment. But I grew up with the SNES version and didn't play the 64 one much until the 3DS version, so maybe it's nostalgia.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I liked Rez but bored of the game. I played it to death on the Dreamcast. Bought on the 360 and played it a bit more and I guess I'm done with the game now. I know they released a new version for the PS4 but I'm all Rezed out.

Omega Boost I didn't like it much to be honest. Not sure if I was spoiled by Panzer Dragoon but something was missing from that game.

I did enjoy SNES Starfox but even when it first came out I was like this game looks really bad lol. My best memory of the game was trying to go through all three warps in that game to skip levels. It was a hard game when I was a kid but as an adult I was able to beat the game.

Orta on the Xbone looks really nice... I think much nicer than the 360 version as it displays at full HD and if you have the XBone X it scales up to 4k.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Shelcoof wrote:Omega Boost I didn't like it much to be honest. Not sure if I was spoiled by Panzer Dragoon but something was missing from that game
Funny enough my experience with Omega Boost was similar back in the day. I had played Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 heavily by that point and Omega Boost just didn't do it for me. Like you, perhaps I was spoiled. I wouldn't mind giving it a try again with a fresh perspective, but don't have a copy on hand.
Shelcoof wrote:I did enjoy SNES Starfox but even when it first came out I was like this game looks really bad lol. My best memory of the game was trying to go through all three warps in that game to skip levels. It was a hard game when I was a kid but as an adult I was able to beat the game.
The original Starfox is still great. Sure, it doesn't look the best, but it's still neat seeing it in action given the hardware it's running on. Really though, the big draw is the game is still tight and is still a ton of fun to play. There is a lot of variety and replayability with its three different routes, which feature lots of different stage themes, bosses and gimmicks. It has a nice, smooth ramp up in difficulty too, starting with the easy middle route, to the more mild left route, and culminating with the hard rightmost route (something I still have a difficult time with).

I agree with an earlier sentiment as well that Star Fox 64 relied a little too much on the homing and as a result didn't feel as engaging as the original. Still a great game, but the original title is always my first pick when it comes to that series.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

It's a shame no one ever talks about the Star Fox games after the 64 version :oops:

The first mission of the Cube version was great then it just went down hill from there. I wasn't even able to finish the game. That's how bad it was. Remember doing a land master mission and thinking... alright time to turn this game off.

As for my purchase of Crimson Dragon after 30 seconds with the game I had felt a bit of buyer's remorse. Just my initial first few seconds with the game I knew.... it wasn't going to be fun. Controls felt weird, frame rate was low, it felt like a chore even moving your Dragon around. I'll have to come back to this game at a later point. As of now the game sort of deserves all the negative reviews it got.