loving Raiden Fighters

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Durandal

Re: loving Raiden Fighters

Post by Durandal »

Biggest pet peeve I had with the Raiden Fighters series is that the bullet sealing range on enemies doesn't appear to be relative to the speed of the projectiles they fire, so it's very easy to get point blanked by a tank shell which was only present on screen for about 20 frames by an enemy which only appeared on screen for a brief second in one of the giant vehicle stages when you scrolled a bit to the side. Proper telegraphing before firing could have also worked.
Still love it though
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

Yes, that's a good point. Some kind of signal would have been better in these kind of sudden and close-range appearance of enemies.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Personally I like it, it kinda adds a sense of realism, like the game is a world and you're in it, rather than the world was made for you. Also it's one of many things in RF that you're supposed to just memorize the situation, so it doesn't really feel out of place.

Plus I like when a game is cruel :lol:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

Yes, it isn't a big issue. Though I forgot to mention one other thing ..... the auto-scrolling in stage-6. That was very nice.
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

I love shmups with lots of playable ships so the Raiden Fighters series is right up my alley. It's such a tragedy that Dotemu's compilation port of the series is so terrible and disrespectful to the property. It's probably time that I finally get an XBOX.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

scrilla4rella wrote:
FRO wrote:
2dvertical wrote:I still kick myself for not picking up the 360 jp disc of raiden fighters aces, the prices are insane now, fack..
It can still be had for a decent price, if you do a little digging. GameStop is still retailing it for around $40 or less, I believe, when they have a copy. I'd check to see if your local location can get it in house.
JPN version is crazy expensive tho. I scoured Tokyo game shops for years only to find it in the wild once. I think it was going for about 8,000 JPY, easily making it one of the most expensive 360 games. This was back in 2012 or so. I'm sure prices have only risen since then.
Why not just pick up the NA version? It's pretty affordable at roughly 25$ to 30$ USD
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

trap15 wrote:Personally I like it, it kinda adds a sense of realism, like the game is a world and you're in it, rather than the world was made for you.
Considering bullets are moving at visible speeds already, I don't think a little bit of barely noticeable telegraphing would hurt the realism any further.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Telegraph icons are dramatically more out of place than impossible bullets, man.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

trap15 wrote:Telegraph icons are dramatically more out of place than impossible bullets, man.
Arguable! Though there are a million and one ways of doing telegraphing besides just targeting icons and such. Some of which can fit "in-universe" and such.

Though "icon" telegraphs could also be interpreted in-universe as your ships targeting computer warning you of dangers :P
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

LOL, gotta respect the "pop-out" tanks! To me, that's classic Raiden. So much so that you often see other similar games from that era replicate/pay homage to this exact aspect.
I wouldn't change it for anything. Keeps ya on your toes. The monkey wrench among screwdrivers. The change-up among fastballs.

And how about a round of applause for those choppers from the earlier games in the series that enter the from the top of the screen, swoop behind you, then shoot!?!? Love those sneaky mutherfuckers!

In a way, I think these turn-out to be some of the most devious bullets in shmup history. Not even the small, nearly invisible, bullets from Battle Garegga catch me off guard as often. And most "bullet hell" type games usually "telegraph" flow, pattern, and speed and have a totally different feel/approach.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The issue with this port is that it's localized, JP and US compatible only with respective regions 360's.
Correct me if I'm wrong but last time I've looked into it this was the status;

- You own a JP 360 (many here do) you need the JP release, then download the patches/fixes that specific region release needs.
Afaik it is no longer available on demand so get your wallet ready for the prized physical (150€~180€)

- You own a US 360, you're okay (I don't remember if it needed the patches too or not)

I'm in the first case and living in Europe it's either buying the expensive JP version, or a US 360 + US release just for playing that compilation.
Both cases are a bit ridiculous considering I only enjoy a few credits occasionally, so I gave up, should have bought the game when it was widely available and affordable back then.

Now as I said before a new version of RaidenMAME http://raidenmame.wordpress.com/ based on GroovyMAME would be a satisfying alternative, we would have the samples support for much better audio, plus all the benefits of GroovyMAME like the possibility of playing smoothly at the native refresh speed, and lag reduction.
It's a matter of porting the old patch source code to current Groovy (or rather the next 0.206 which should be out in a few days)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
dannycheeto

Post by dannycheeto »

Xyga wrote:Now as I said before a new version of RaidenMAME http://raidenmame.wordpress.com/ based on GroovyMAME would be a satisfying alternative
This is the first i've heard of raiden mame, a semi related question for someone who doesn't understand these things how much effort would it be to implement raiden 2/dx into shmupmame for example? I'm not fortunate enough to have the pcbs so mame is my option atm but i felt both were a little bit laggy with my setup.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I don't care about shmupmame it is a very outdated and accuracy-breaking build, the RF games aren't perfectly emulated no reason to pick a build that will play them worse, but backporting to it could be more complicated than porting a samples patch.
For me Groovy is the only rational choice here, up-to-date rigorous build with all latest MAME drivers updates and roms (all emulated Raiden franchise roms including latest clones, there's even a new RF2 jp one coming with 0.206), and all the advantageous yet non-damaging features.
RetroArch would be a second choice but that might mean porting the raidenmame patch to another outdated MAME core or FBA first, which is perhaps even more convoluted than the shmupmame route.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Xyga wrote:
- You own a US 360, you're okay (I don't remember if it needed the patches too or not)
Don't think the North American version needed any patches. I never had to patch mine. I'd assume this version would be the version to get considering that the JP version needs a patch.

Also consider JP Xbox 360s are so expensive and hard to find these days it's just better to pick up a NA 360 and the NA version
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Well I didn't write the option "get a jp 360 + the jp release" lol, which would be silly.

For someone who missed on buying a JP/Asia 360 like a decade ago when they were easy to find at ok price and we had plenty of interesting games available physical or not at normal prices too, what's the point of trying today?
Indeed lots of JP 360-related things, console or games, seem to have caught collectorAIDS some time maybe around 2~3 years ago? dunno, the era when that console was great is well over.

PS: But also consider that getting NTSC-U/C consoles isn't that easy outside of N-A either, it's pretty much eBay only, with all the typical eBay shit we have to deal with and pay on top by default now.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Lol "collectors AIDs"

yhaa JP 360s are so hard to come by these days at a reasonable price. I've tried looking for a back up JP slim for the longest time and no luck. Even had bodies look for one in Japan and none there.

My JP 360 collection would be useless once my JP 360 goes. We all know it'll go eventually
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I've looked around for one too, same conclusion... how far has Xenia emulator gone ? iirc some shmups were playable.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

A third option is getting an RGH or JTAG 360. They are region free.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Don't know how to RGH or Jtag a 360
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Indeed used modded 360s aren't too expensive on eBay so that's an alternative, except maybe in the cases where games need patches, if your console is banned then what ? (or can you still get the patches dunno, thats a question ^^)
It's even cheaper to hire a modding shop, went to check and to my surprise there's still a decent number of them active around that do 360s.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

You can patch games on banned/modded consoles. Just download the patch and put it on a USB stick.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

How would I go about to doing that?

I'm actually in the process of buying a modded console that has been banned
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Finally got Raiden Fighters Jet but what's up with the practice mission stuff?
Special World

Post by Special World »

Really love the Raiden Fighters games. To me they feel very Garegga-esque. Dunno if there was something in the water in '96, or if that's just where STGs were at, then. I don't get the same vibe from any other shooters really, but I might just be missing out on that slice of history.

One thing I especially love about Raiden Fighters is that bombs tear through the bosses. I hate boss battles in 95% of games, so it's just nice to have these short, intense battles. Of course, I haven't played them in a while, so I could be remembering wrong. But yeah, just all around great games. Kinda butt ugly maybe, a little bit. But just possessing that purity of vision that makes a great STG. Perfect balance between gameplay purity and scoring mechanics. Most games lean very heavily one way or the other. Raiden Fighters gets it right.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Special World

Post by Special World »

shmupsrocks wrote:Finally got Raiden Fighters Jet but what's up with the practice mission stuff?
If I remember correctly, it just calls the first [X] number of stages a practice mission. Then when you get to the "real" mission things ramp up a bit. It's a flavor device.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

The earlier parts of the game are supposed to be a training sim your pilot's participating in, then shit hits the fan and he gets sent into real combat for the finale. The guys at Raizing probably got the idea from Image Fight.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I just can't stand how medals work. I just wanna play it like Garegga. Please, game.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

It's super-intense. You really have to manage 10 things at once if you want to get on the road to 100,000-point medals by the end of the first stage.
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

oh man.. this game.. its soulcrushingly hard! (for a noobcake like me)

But damn its good!! I hate it so much but I cant stop playing.

All the point blank shots when you just let your focus go for 1 sec to possition for the blue bonus dude. BAM!

I have only gotten to stage 3 boss 1 time, and usually die on stage 3 about 75% in, when going backwards over the top of the boat, with a embarrasing highscore of around 11mil.
the music is so intense and I am mashing the shoot button as fast as I can, keeping a finger on the bomb in case..
At this moment I usually am so pumped that I cant stay still, my feets are moving in sync with the base, and my heart is beating so damn hard it presses the air out of my lungs.

And the from nowhere (actually not, its from same place every time, but in my mind its from blody nowhere) BOM!! One of the big cannons enter the screen with 1 subpixel and instantainiously snipes me!!

and its all over.. in a heartbeat! god damnit! Counter counts down to Zero.. *preparing to tableflip the whole cab thru the wall*

Swearing to never ever touch this godawful piece of crap game EVER AGAIN!!!

*takes a sip of grogg*

*inhales a deep breath*

*inserts another coin and pushes start*.......
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
Special World

Post by Special World »

ZacharyB wrote:It's super-intense. You really have to manage 10 things at once if you want to get on the road to 100,000-point medals by the end of the first stage.
I don't think it's that bad in Jet. That's the only one I really remember well. Kind of a neato medaling system, imo. Like a pseudo minigame to start things out so the first stage isn't as boring as it is in every other shmup.