Aleste is coming back?!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Aleste is coming back?!

Post by BrianC »

Kiken wrote:$360 US!!

LOOOOOOL! I must be out of my God-damned mind! Pre-order placed.
ugh. I ended up pre-ordering the PS4 LE from Amazon.jp (about 160 dollars). Not sure why the switch editions aren't available for shipping to the US from Amazon.jp. The switch versions are even hidden when doing a regular search.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

I got one of the LEs for PS4 and it was only about $160. $360 seems like scalper money.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Wait a second... the non- game gear-micro, game-only version is $160 dollars?
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

All I see is the scalper things on Amazon, and they don't even ship to the US?

Is there a legitimate listing for the LE version? What's the deal with that mini Game Gear anyway, is it actually playable? Any details on this stuff? I'm a big fan of the Aleste series but don't even own a PS4 or Switch, so not sure which one to buy.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

pegboy wrote:All I see is the scalper things on Amazon, and they don't even ship to the US?

Is there a legitimate listing for the LE version? What's the deal with that mini Game Gear anyway, is it actually playable? Any details on this stuff? I'm a big fan of the Aleste series but don't even own a PS4 or Switch, so not sure which one to buy.
Play-Asia has the LE listed, but it's not available for pre-order yet (SE is available now). The Game Gear is playable, but very small so your milage may vary depending on hand size.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

kid aphex wrote:Wait a second... the non- game gear-micro, game-only version is $160 dollars?
No, it's the GG micro edition sold by actual amazon, but it sold out fast. For some reason, all of the switch ones sold on actual amazon aren't shipping to the US, though the official Amazon sold PS4 versions are.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

pegboy wrote:Is there a legitimate listing for the LE version?
There was.
It sold out in less than 12 hours I believe.
And yes the mini Game Gear is playable. It is reported to have the 4 Sega 8-bit Aleste games and maybe a 5th new secret version.
There haven't been any hands on reports with the mini-GG, so details are limited on functionality etc.

Play Asia had some available at $360, which Kiken referenced. It looks like even those are gone now.
I imagine the PlayAsia inflated price and extremely limited stock was because they had to buy them from Amazon and then resell to their customers.
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

What is exactly going on with this LE ???
It also sold out in 3 hours on amiami, on Switch & PS4.
As I did not strike F5 every 5 minutes, of course I didn't get one...

Are there really crazy Game Gear collectors (or so called "Retro Gamers") willing to be scalped for this thing ?
The device looks like fun, but as fun as a Capcom Cute. Unusable.

Aleste games can't be the reason of this insanity as the regular edition is available for all.

M2 needs to supply more of the LE. It's THE release of the YEAR. Forget about PS5 or XBOX X !!! :lol:
fumanchu

Post by fumanchu »

Aleste 3 confirmed to be released on sega game gear and also coming to the switch and ps4 as part of the collection.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/ ... ndo_switch

aleste 3 trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0XMJTT ... e=emb_logo
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

So, who is our mystery girl in GG Aleste 3?
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

Physical GG Aleste 3 Game Gear cart incoming also...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Apparently the new girl is Luna Waizen. Yes, another member of the Waizen family. I don’t know if the girl is Ellinor’s sister or cousin... Either way, female pilots seem to run in the family, doesn’t it?
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Honestly that gg aleste 3 game gear cart is all im interested now.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

djsheep wrote:Physical GG Aleste 3 Game Gear cart incoming also...
Are you sure there's a real cart? The only tweet I saw called the box "fictional"... https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1309760767361597440
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

xxx1993 wrote:Yes, another member of the Waizen family. I don’t know if the girl is Ellinor’s sister or cousin...
This seems like a conundrum that we'd better start investigating!
Neorebel

Post by Neorebel »

Apparently, the cart is real?? Not sure if this is a reliable source:

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1309819575228223488
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Neorebel wrote:Apparently, the cart is real?? Not sure if this is a reliable source:

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1309819575228223488
:shock: :shock: :shock:

If this thing is real, it's gonna be THE hottest collectible of all damn time. Here's hoping it's something we can reliably pre-orders, as scalpers are gonna pounce so hard.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sumez wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Yes, another member of the Waizen family. I don’t know if the girl is Ellinor’s sister or cousin...
This seems like a conundrum that we'd better start investigating!
Either way, it looks like the Waizen family might just be the most badass family in the history of shmups, even if most of them are female.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

That's amazing if they've made an actual Game Gear game.

Hopefully this gets released outside Japan or at least in Europe on the strength of Power Strike II.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Could be just a mockup/prototype they did for the fun of it. Like the System16 PCBs running Fantasy Zone 2.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Really excited for this collection - MUSHA and PowerStrike2 are a couple of my favs in the genre.

On related topic, what’s considered the best games in the Aleste series? How would you rank these?

Aleste Gaiden (MSX2, 1989)
Aleste 2 (MSX2, 1989)
Musha Aleste (Mega Drive, 1990)
GG Aleste (Game Gear, 1991)
Super Aleste (SNES, 1992)
Dennin Aleste (Mega-CD, 1992)
GG Aleste II (Game Gear, 1993

Thats the list I pulled from Wiki - not sure if it’s missing any of the mainline games.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

soupbones wrote:Really excited for this collection - MUSHA and PowerStrike on a couple of my favs.

On related topic, what’s considered the best games in the Aleste series? How would you rank them?

Aleste 2 (MSX2, 1989)
I haven't played the import-only ones, so I'm going to cheat a little and add a couple of games which aren't technically part of the series, but throw the word Aleste in their title and nobody would blink. They're essentially the same thing:

1. Space Mega Force/ Super Aleste
2. Blazing Lazers/Gunhed
3. MUSHA
4. Robo Aleste/Denin Aleste
5. Zanac

It's kind of wild to me that Power Strike II was released after all of the 16-bit games were.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I like Spriggan myself on the PC Engine, which imo is the best Compile game for the system. You can definitely tell the game has the dna of the future Mahou Daisakusen. It is an Aleste game for all intents and purposes. It has its issues with wonky difficulty and over/underpowered weapons (like every Compile game) but it is a fun time. Luckily it's on the Mini to be enjoyed at anyone's leisure.

I need to really give Dennin Aleste a shot one day; a number of people say it's one of the best games in the series.
Austin

Post by Austin »

EmperorIng wrote:I need to really give Dennin Aleste a shot one day; a number of people say it's one of the best games in the series.
A number of people are also wrong. :lol:

Not a big fan of it myself. Felt like a downgrade from MUSHA in pretty much every way to me.

Spriggan is also significantly better in my eyes. Will be curious what you think though whenever you do try it.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

Austin wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:I need to really give Dennin Aleste a shot one day; a number of people say it's one of the best games in the series.
A number of people are also wrong. :lol:

Not a big fan of it myself. Felt like a downgrade from MUSHA in pretty much every way to me.

Spriggan is also significantly better in my eyes. Will be curious what you think though whenever you do try it.
+1 Never got the hype for that one. MUSHA is the GOAT Aleste.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Hopefully, Power Strike II SMS can be played in the correct speed in the collection. I played a bit of it on Mega SG and I'm under the impression, that unlike some other JP made EU SMS games, it plays better in 50Hz. I noticed that, like Super Aleste, it gets sneaky with the difficulty mode and has the suicide bullet mode before easy mode in the options.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

soupbones wrote:Really excited for this collection - MUSHA and PowerStrike2 are a couple of my favs in the genre.

On related topic, what’s considered the best games in the Aleste series? How would you rank these?

Aleste 2 (MSX2, 1989)

Thats the list I pulled from Wiki - not sure if it’s missing any of the mainline games.

Of the ones I've played:
1. Musha
2. Spriggan (It really should count, very similar to Musha)
3. Super
4. Powerstrike II (If GG aleste counts this should count too)
5. GG 2
6. GG

I played Dennin for an hour or so and disliked it.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

BrianC wrote:Hopefully, Power Strike II SMS can be played in the correct speed in the collection. I played a bit of it on Mega SG and I'm under the impression, that unlike some other JP made EU SMS games, it plays better in 50Hz. I noticed that, like Super Aleste, it gets sneaky with the difficulty mode and has the suicide bullet mode before easy mode in the options.
Apparently, main programmer Takayuki ”Jemini” Hirono has confirmed that the game was indeed supposed to be played at 50 Hz.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Space Megabore

Musha and Aleste 1-2 (on msx) are the best imo.
Dennin kinda sux cause it's an unbalanced mess, and the localization tried to fix that and ruined it even more.

Gaiden it's just Image

Speaking of Musha, is this true?
if you get to that point with all powerups you shoot so much shit that the game can't calculate collisions correctly
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Aleste 2 MSX is the best of the series. Its really intense on the intended difficulty. If you start the game with the intro disk you get the real difficulty. If you skip the intro and boot from the game disk directly it uses easy mode. 99% of youtube videos are in easy mode. Lol.