Aleste is coming back?!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Aleste is coming back?!

Post by BIL »

Mortificator wrote:Well the Japanese pronuncion of the name is Arrester...
Blast off, ARRESTERS! (■`ω´■) Challenge the TLB, HANU-SEN KURISU, and his RAITONING TAZERU FORCE (■`W´■)
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Looks more Cave than Compile from the teaser. But looking forward to it nonetheless.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Challenge the TLB, HANU-SEN KURISU
Why don't you take a seat?
Would you like a cookie?
So you drove all the way down here, you brought some wine coolers, pizza. So you weren't planning on playing Arrester tonight? What were you planning to do with that arcade stick?
BIL

Post by BIL »

U WANT DO IT RAW
Raw?
YES
What's that?
NO AUTOFIRE
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

You know what? I don't like where this is going. Ima take a walk outside.

I SAID TAKE A SEAT!!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

They just updated the official site to say the location test for Senjin Aleste is postponed indefinitely, so who knows what the fate of it will be now. Will they just skip the arcade version and release at home? Doubtful, but who knows.

https://m2stg.com/senxin-aleste/
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

Nah, HEY is opening up again so they will have the location test later - details to be announced on M2's twitter account.
darklavos

GG Aleste 2 Stage 3 Glitched

Post by darklavos »

I don't know if this happened to someone else or is common knowledge but I encountered a graphical glitch while playing GG Aleste 2 on the Aleste collection on the switch (I assume this can happen on the original too?)

Most of the sprites glitched right after stage 3 started. For reference I was playing on easy speed 8 when it happened. I tried to replicate it afterwards without success.
Graphics returned to normal on stage 4 onwards.

Here's a video of my run: https://youtu.be/EWPCDhQ9SpU
Also, if you have the game you should also be able to see a replay of the whole run in the leaderboards. (I was ranked 35 on easy at the time of recording, player name: DarkLavos)

Note that there are some weird cuts throughout because I tried to string together video capture from the switch capture button.

Just thought I'd share this since it was kinda weird lol
Herr Schatten

Re: GG Aleste 2 Stage 3 Glitched

Post by Herr Schatten »

darklavos wrote:I encountered a graphical glitch while playing GG Aleste 2 on the Aleste collection on the switch (I assume this can happen on the original too?)
I had the very same thing happening a couple of times, although it was always stage 4 that glitched out on me. You can actually watch it in my online replay on the leaderboard, too (player: Kagesan).

I have heard reports from people who experienced similar on real hardware, so it's safe to assume it's some kind of bug in the original release. There seems to be some pointer pointing to the wrong address when loading in new graphics data at the start of the stage. Or maybe it points to the right address, but doesn't switch to the correct ROM bank. The result is that it loads garbage data in the places where the sprite and bg tiles for the stage are supposed to go.
Overall, GGA2 gives a strong impression that it may have been rushed out the door, so this fits right in.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:They just updated the official site to say the location test for Senjin Aleste is postponed indefinitely, so who knows what the fate of it will be now. Will they just skip the arcade version and release at home? Doubtful, but who knows.

Japan is kind of having a thing with covid right now. Vaccination rollouts have been clumsily mishandled and the government refusing to cancel or postpone the Olympics has people rightfully pissed off (even though the IOC are probably the true villains here).
darklavos wrote:I don't know if this happened to someone else or is common knowledge but I encountered a graphical glitch while playing GG Aleste 2 on the Aleste collection on the switch (I assume this can happen on the original too?)

Most of the sprites glitched right after stage 3 started. For reference I was playing on easy speed 8 when it happened. I tried to replicate it afterwards without success.

Also, if you have the game you should also be able to see a replay of the whole run in the leaderboards. (I was ranked 35 on easy at the time of recording, player name: DarkLavos)

Note that there are some weird cuts throughout because I tried to string together video capture from the switch capture button.

Yep, I've had that happen to me too, twice I think, though the second time wasn't as total.
SF Kosmo

Post by SF Kosmo »

Special World wrote: I really didn’t know M2 had this in them—their arrange modes leave me cold.
Fantasy Zone II DX was pretty good evidence. That game is honestly one of my favorite shmups, without qualification, less a remake as an attempt to rewrite history and give FZ the sequel it always deserved.

I'm less convinced with Branch and whatever the other one is called though, they look okay, but don't seem like Aleste and don't stand out as special to me.
darklavos

Re: GG Aleste 2 Stage 3 Glitched

Post by darklavos »

Herr Schatten wrote: I had the very same thing happening a couple of times, although it was always stage 4 that glitched out on me. You can actually watch it in my online replay on the leaderboard, too (player: Kagesan).

I have heard reports from people who experienced similar on real hardware, so it's safe to assume it's some kind of bug in the original release. There seems to be some pointer pointing to the wrong address when loading in new graphics data at the start of the stage. Or maybe it points to the right address, but doesn't switch to the correct ROM bank. The result is that it loads garbage data in the places where the sprite and bg tiles for the stage are supposed to go.
Overall, GGA2 gives a strong impression that it may have been rushed out the door, so this fits right in.
Sengoku Strider wrote:Yep, I've had that happen to me too, twice I think, though the second time wasn't as total.
Interesting, thanks for the info. That bug's pretty annoying.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:They just updated the official site to say the location test for Senjin Aleste is postponed indefinitely, so who knows what the fate of it will be now. Will they just skip the arcade version and release at home? Doubtful, but who knows.

Japan is kind of having a thing with covid right now. Vaccination rollouts have been clumsily mishandled and the government refusing to cancel or postpone the Olympics has people rightfully pissed off (even though the IOC are probably the true villains here).
darklavos wrote:I don't know if this happened to someone else or is common knowledge but I encountered a graphical glitch while playing GG Aleste 2 on the Aleste collection on the switch (I assume this can happen on the original too?)

Yep, I've had that happen to me too, twice I think, though the second time wasn't as total.
Damn... Don’t tell me we won’t be able to see Senjin for a while either...
SF Kosmo

Post by SF Kosmo »

Covid really feels like a final nail in the coffin of the Japanese arcade business. G.rev mentioned really being hit hard by this and needing to pivot as well. And it's not as simple as just containing the pandemic, like people form new habits and come back slowly, it's not like they cut the ribbon and say "call me on back" and it all goes back day one.

You hope the devs that focus on arcades can survive and come back but when you consider how that market was teetering already who knows.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Location test is currently going on
If anyone has any videos, post them here

https://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv332457238
Sengoku Strider

So, I am 100% buying this regardless...but that just looks like a Cave game where the power up icon rotates between different letters.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Yeah it does. I’d love to see some higher quality video come out so the gameplay systems are bit more discernible.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The Aleste name does seem a litte tacked on here. It's almost like if there was a new Gradius and it looked like Progear, or a new mainline Street Fighter that was an anime style FG. Part of the heritage that comes with a franchise is also the core gameplay style, not just the title. M2 did nail this perfectly with GG Aleste 3 IMO. That felt like a true Aleste sequel.

That being said this does look like it has potential, and I hope it turns out great and sells well for them.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I am a big fan of Aleste, having finished Aleste 2 like at least once per year since its release for more than 15 years into it. :D

Musha was a game I finished on my first go at it (also GG Aleste 2). I am big of Compile shmups in general, and AFAIK every Compile shmup except by Guardic was designed by Takayuki "Jemini" Hirono. Guardic was fully made by Pac Fujishima, but even its pseudo-sequel The Guardian Legend/Guardic Gaiden on NES was made by Jemini Hirono.

I've always been amazed by how much stuff he made through the years and always keeping a good quality.

I never have too much hope when someone tries do a sequel of a game it wasn't made by them. I hear M2 made a good job with GG Aleste 3 (Which I can't play because... no PS4 or Switch here)...

But this thing here really looks like another attempt at copying Cave and having nothing to do with Aleste :/

I remember 20 years ago, when Compile released ZanacXZanac (And I was already on this Forum... Jesus Christ), I really hoped for an Aleste X Aleste to follow up. Heh.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I never have too much hope when someone tries do a sequel of a game it wasn't made by them. I hear M2 made a good job with GG Aleste 3 (Which I can't play because... no PS4 or Switch here)...
Luckily they pulled together sort of a dream team of former Compile/Naxat/Hudson/Raizing staff for GG Aleste 3. Can't recommend it enough with the caveats that it does fit in more with the GG Aleste series in style and difficulty than with the main Aleste games.

Would love to see them take the same approach again but with different hardware, especially PC Engine or Mega Drive.

I think on games like MUSHA and Spriggan the main role of design and programming fell to Yuichi Toyama, but Hirono was definitely involved in those too.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Yeah, I must be corrected, I don't think he was on the FRONT of the design of each of their shmups, though his name appears on al of them :D
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Not impressed.
  • bio bosses look super out of place and terrible
  • bosses in general have almost zero animation
  • half of the music ranges from bad to just ok (other half ranges from good to bangers)
  • game start flow is excessively complicated (4 menus, then a tutorial, then 2 more menus before you start the game???)
  • gameplay systems seem messy and unnecessarily complicated
  • half of the ship types are absolutely terrible to play as (type B's aiming system makes it a huge PITA, and type D does such low damage that you'll timeout bosses and midbosses even with 100% hit rate)
  • completely baffling game screen size inside of the display (only 80% of the screen height is used???)
  • no shadows on air units at all
  • uninspired ending sequence that is just 3 nearly static shots and a book's worth of text
  • a lot of derivative ideas and designs that don't feel like they're building on their origins, but instead aping them
  • 2 difficulty modes that are so easy that even low-tier players are clearing on their first time (pretty sure everybody getting to play 35 minute credits is not a good revenue flow for an arcade game)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

I see you need to pay the price for niconico premier to watch...
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

One thing I absolutely hate about Japan is how insular they are with their internet usage...
Like, Nico Nico? Seriously? It’s trash. I’m sorry I had to post it, but it was the only video out there (and at the time it was streaming, you didn’t need to sign up)

Here’s the only other video I’ve found so far;
https://youtu.be/02oHRF4nAZ4
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

kid aphex wrote:One thing I absolutely hate about Japan is how insular they are with their internet usage...
Like, Nico Nico? Seriously? It’s trash. I’m sorry I had to post it, but it was the only video out there (and at the time it was streaming, you didn’t need to sign up)

NICE! Thank you so much, kid aphex.
Sengoku Strider

kid aphex wrote:One thing I absolutely hate about Japan is how insular they are with their internet usage...

That still looks like off-brand Dodonpachi, but it looks more fun than the fuzzy segment I saw on Nico.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Oh god, it really is a lite Cave game. Even the enemy positionings and timings look like such typical Cavey stage design. What a weird direction to take with this name.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

trap15 wrote:Not impressed.
  • completely baffling game screen size inside of the display (only 80% of the screen height is used???)
I'm guessing M2 wanted to make the game look 3:4 vertical aspect ratio and to keep pixels sharp shoved it into a smaller window. That happens on lots of modern ports of vertical shooters. That doesn't excuse it in this new game though.