Aleste is coming back?!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Majima_Kai

Re: Aleste is coming back?!

Post by Majima_Kai »

I bought my collector from Hobby Genki here https://hobby-genki.com/fr/playstation- ... ition.html, last time i bought with nin nin games and had a terrible customer service experience.

Pretty happy with this collector, my wallet less, but well feels good to be back in shmup communauty.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Are you just a shill for that company or something? All but one of your posts is about your preference of hobby genki over nin nin games.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Nin-nin-game's customer service is pretty awful. I've ordered from them several times, and paid $20 for 2-day shipping on each order. They say on the site that you should expect 5 business days of processing time, but every single time I've ordered from them, it's gone into 6, 7, or 8 business days before they ship my product. Each time I've had to message them to ask what's up, and each time they offer some excuse and then ship it the next day. It's super frustrating when you place an order well above $150 and they can't be bothered to get it in the mail for over a full week.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

xxx1993 wrote:https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1318482439958769664

Something's coming on the 21st.
Following the links through Twitter came up with this update to GG Aleste 3 and Darius Extra MD version:

M2 Co., Ltd. announces that the latest information on "GG Arresta 3" will be released on the live broadcast program "M2STG Live Broadcast # 2" from 20:00 on October 21st.

This broadcast will release new information on "GG Arresta 3" included in the latest "Arresta Collection" of its own brand "M2 Shot Triggers".
In addition to "M2 Shot Triggers", we will also invite Yuichi Toyama of Taito Co., Ltd. to introduce and demonstrate the MD / MD compatible version "Darius Extra Version".
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

I'm generally looking forward to the collection. GG Aleste 1 and 2 were great main draws, but GG Aleste 3 was very unexpected and it could be great.

Also that GG Micro. I'm a sucker for things like that.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Footage of GG Aleste 3 played on original Game Gear.
Not that there's much to look at on the glare blurry GG screen, just cool that they're playing it on an original GG.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

So is GG Aleste 3 actually going to be released for the Game Gear or not? At this point I don't really care about the collections.
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

pegboy wrote:So is GG Aleste 3 actually going to be released for the Game Gear or not? At this point I don't really care about the collections.
I imagine if cotton can be released on X68k in today's day and age, a real GG release wouldn't even be that big a stretch.

Collections like these are still excellent and probably better for visibility and streaming tho. Easier.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I'm gonna bet it does get made, but it'll be something stupid like a Sega Store exclusive. They'll make a tiny print run, and it'll be $400 on ebay before the year is out.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

pegboy wrote:So is GG Aleste 3 actually going to be released for the Game Gear or not? At this point I don't really care about the collections.
In that video, "Cartridge not for sale" is what's written on the label they stuck on the Game Gear. Not sure if that means just that cartridge, but that would be weird.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

StudioMudprints wrote:
I imagine if cotton can be released on X68k in today's day and age, a real GG release wouldn't even be that big a stretch.

Collections like these are still excellent and probably better for visibility and streaming tho. Easier.
Since I already own all 4 of the original versions of those games I don't really care anymore about this collection. Originally I wanted to support the developers but as soon as this tuned into the typical scalper bullshit I'm out. If they end up releasing GG Aleste 3 on a real cart I might buy that, but other than that I'm done with these guys.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Super hyped for GG Aleste 3.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Thanks, that's much better:

I had lots of fun playing Super Aleste / Space Megaforce on the SNES, especially playing on the Wild difficulty. Sadly, it won't be included in the Aleste Collection.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

So the news on GG Aleste 3 was just showing off the game on an actual Game Gear?
Habieru

Post by Habieru »

Still no news regarding if the games include M2 Gadgets like the previous releases?
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Habieru wrote:Still no news regarding if the games include M2 Gadgets like the previous releases?
They have created an "Easy" version of Master System Aleste
1 - Does not power down on a mistake (after being hit?)
2 - Weapon level is maintained even if you pick a special weapon.
3 - Extended invincibility when acquiring items."
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

They updated MS Aleste but skipped MSX Aleste. Why???
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

SuperDeadite wrote:They updated MS Aleste but skipped MSX Aleste. Why???
You'll notice they are all originally Sega published Aleste games in this collection.

The other Aleste games had an array of publishers. Do they still control the rights?? I don't know. It seems pretty obvious why this collection only has the Sega published games.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Doesn't D4 still own the MSX games or whatever? I know they're on Project EGG
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Sengoku Strider

Koa Zo wrote:
SuperDeadite wrote:They updated MS Aleste but skipped MSX Aleste. Why???
You'll notice they are all originally Sega published Aleste games in this collection.

The other Aleste games had an array of publishers. Do they still control the rights?? I don't know. It seems pretty obvious why this collection only has the Sega published games.
They're also all essentially on the same hardware.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Wait, so Manubu Namiki is directing the new game and doing sound? Damn, now I might have to buy this.

Only M2 would make a new GG game in 2020 just for this collection. It's total madness, but I like it.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Also, I wonder how the porting works. Do they program the game for the Game Gear hardware first since it can run on that, then run it on the collection via the same emulator as the other GG games?

I really dig that they are going with an authentic approach and seeing how much they can pull out of the original hardware instead of going for an enhanced retro look like Shovel Knight and so many others.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Rastan78 wrote:Also, I wonder how the porting works. Do they program the game for the Game Gear hardware first since it can run on that, then run it on the collection via the same emulator as the other GG games?
That's most likely. Apart from the VDP, Master System and GG are basically the same hardware, so it makes sense that all titles included in the collection run on either one or the other, so they can use the same emulator for all of them.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

They have a really good track record of master system emulation, so I'm sure that aspect will be spot on.
Sengoku Strider

Rastan78 wrote:They have a really good track record of master system emulation, so I'm sure that aspect will be spot on.
It shouldn't be super tough. I don't think there's a more used, cloned or well-explored processor in the history of Japan than the Z-80. In some form or another it made its way into most 8 & 16-bit Japanese PCs, all of Sega's consoles until the Saturn, the Gameboy, Neo Geo, Neo Geo Pocket, tons of arcade boards, the list goes on & on.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I remember hearing their recent Phantasy Star conversion for switch had some weird audio popping on the PSG music. But thats about it. I never noticed it on my own.
Sengoku Strider

Rastan78 wrote:I remember hearing their recent Phantasy Star conversion for switch had some weird audio popping on the PSG music. But thats about it. I never noticed it on my own.
There's something weird about Phantasy Star, it famously didn't work with the Power Base or Master Gear converter for some reason. I forget, but it might have been the only game that didn't.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Rastan78 wrote:I remember hearing their recent Phantasy Star conversion for switch had some weird audio popping on the PSG music. But thats about it. I never noticed it on my own.
There's something weird about Phantasy Star, it famously didn't work with the Power Base or Master Gear converter for some reason. I forget, but it might have been the only game that didn't.
I had no problems playing the US cart of Phantasy Star on a model 1 Genesis with the Power Base converter. The game even had its own cart for the JP Megadrive, that is nothing but the SMS game in a Genesis cart. I heard some SMS adapters for GG had problems with larger carts, but I'm not sure if that as an issue with the adapter or the system. One weird thing with Phantasy Star 1 is that it's one of the few games (the other being Ys) that had the FM sound removed for the western release.