Aleste is coming back?!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sengoku Strider

Re: Aleste is coming back?!

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BrianC wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:
Rastan78 wrote:I remember hearing their recent Phantasy Star conversion for switch had some weird audio popping on the PSG music. But thats about it. I never noticed it on my own.
There's something weird about Phantasy Star, it famously didn't work with the Power Base or Master Gear converter for some reason. I forget, but it might have been the only game that didn't.
I had no problems playing the US cart of Phantasy Star on a model 1 Genesis with the Power Base converter. The game even had its own cart for the JP Megadrive, that is nothing but the SMS game in a Genesis cart. I heard some SMS adapters for GG had problems with larger carts, but I'm not sure if that as an issue with the adapter or the system. One weird thing with Phantasy Star 1 is that it's one of the few games (the other being Ys) that had the FM sound removed for the western release.
Ah, you're right (I never owned either). It looks like it's only the Master Gear it has trouble with.

Sega Retro says Phantasy Star, Outrun & Lord of the Sword don't work with the Master Gear. (And light gun & 3D glasses games will suck for obvious reasons).

The Power Base is apparently just incompatible with F-16 Fighting Falcon & Alien 3. And a bunch of other games require a Master System controller to be played.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sengoku Strider wrote: The Power Base is apparently just incompatible with F-16 Fighting Falcon & Alien 3. And a bunch of other games require a Master System controller to be played.
F-16 Fighting Falcon doesn't work because it uses the SG-1000 graphic mode. However, the sound of SG-1000 games still work. SG-1000 games work from a flash cart when played on a Mega Sg, oddly enough (perhaps not too odd since it supports the SG-1000 graphic mode, but GG games don't work from the Everdrive on the mega sg). The odd thing is that many of the SMS games that don't work with a Genesis controller, actually work with a Genesis controller when played on a JP system (using an adapter or flash cart).
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BrianC wrote:There's something One weird thing with Phantasy Star 1 is that it's one of the few games (the other being Ys) that had the FM sound removed for the western release.
The Sega Ages version on Switch let's you play with the FM sound on the US rom. Plus a ton of other cool stuff they added like maps and enemy and item lists in game.

Then for Alex Kidd which I think never had FM sound they did a really nice arrangement for FM. Like if that game did have FM on the cart back in the day what would it have sounded like? There are some new art screens between stages too that really fit with the look well. Pretty awesome attention to detail. Also they're the same price as an arcade archives release.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rastan78 wrote:
BrianC wrote:There's something One weird thing with Phantasy Star 1 is that it's one of the few games (the other being Ys) that had the FM sound removed for the western release.
The Sega Ages version on Switch let's you play with the FM sound on the US rom. Plus a ton of other cool stuff they added like maps and enemy and item lists in game.

Then for Alex Kidd which I think never had FM sound they did a really nice arrangement for FM. Like if that game did have FM on the cart back in the day what would it have sounded like? There are some new art screens between stages too that really fit with the look well. Pretty awesome attention to detail. Also they're the same price as an arcade archives release.
I have both of the Sega ages releases. PS is the US translation, but most likely a new hack with FM sound added back in. I liked the addition of FM and cutscenes to Alex Kidd too. They also added FM sound to the SMS Fantasy Zone in the 3D Classics Collection for 3DS. I like how a few of M2's recent additions to collections work on real hardware.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

According to Famitsu, they'll be showing off the M2 gadgets and the first press bonuses. https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1334090007603122176
Sengoku Strider

Rastan78 wrote:

I actually kinda like the OG PStar soundtrack better, I was a little disappointed when I heard the FM one.

For Alex Kidd, did they fix the awful hit detection & floaty controls at all? I tried so hard to like that game but it's just so sloppily made, even for the era. It's one of the only AGES games on Switch that I don't own.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Is the Aleste Collection even coming out here in the States? Because I don't want to have to pay even more money for this, let alone make a Japanese account just for this.
BIL

Post by BIL »

JP account's some good shit bro Image
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm currently focused on getting Crimzon Clover and Hardcore Mecha, though...
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Video's up: https://youtu.be/MUSDc5ay7Gw

This looks *great*. The M2 gadgets and challenge modes are shaping up nicely, and GG Aleste 3 is *so* cool looking. Honestly amazing they're managing to pull this off on the GG. Apparently Manabu Namiki is directing the game itself - is this the first game he's directed?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I want this collection to have a Western release.
fireflame

Post by fireflame »

Should we wait and hope for a western release, and otherwise is it worth the price? Hopefully there aren't many texts.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

We probably should.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

This is a really obscure collection for most western players. I would be really surprised if it got picked up and translated. Even something like LRG might struggle to get enough pre-orders to make it worth it.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Tell them it is LOVE LETTER TO THE GUARDIAN LEGEND (^ω´ )
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Jonpachi wrote:This is a really obscure collection for most western players. I would be really surprised if it got picked up and translated. Even something like LRG might struggle to get enough pre-orders to make it worth it.
One thing it has going for it is that as far as I understand the GG games are relatively easy. People are always asking about more accessible games in the genre.

Also a new Game Gear game in 2020. That's pretty cool.

I read some impressions via Google translate (so bear with me if this isn't accurate) of the new game at an event and a skilled player was able to clear it on the first or second play. They felt like the it worked best on Switch portable as the GG graphics are intended for a smaller screen to begin with.

I'm waiting for M2 to release a game that has a three monitor wide mode like Darius 1, but all three screens are taken up by gadgets. Actual gameplay screen is the size of a postage stamp in the bottom right corner of the third monitor. Gadgets will monitor and upload players heart rate, eye movement, and perspiration. I need a global clock as well that tells me what time it is in Tokyo, Munich, and Madagascar.
BIL

Post by BIL »

If anything, I hope this might lead them to a second collection with the MSX games. (or the 16bit games, I guess, but I've got those - I am console peasant 3;) M2 stuff is day 1 for me on principle but MSX Aleste 2 would be day 1er. Image
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BIL wrote:If anything, I hope this might lead them to a second collection with the MSX games. (or the 16bit games, I guess, but I've got those - I am console peasant 3;) M2 stuff is day 1 for me on principle but MSX Aleste 2 would be day 1er. Image
New Aleste for Mega Drive, not GG would be day 1est.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, now we're into dreamer territory. :mrgreen: Gimme that original console STG that poor Toaplan never quite got to make (glimpsed tantalisingly in Slap Fight MD's arrange mode) :cool:

(I'm recalling ol' Rob's prophecy that someday, it'd be big goofy MUSHA-likes we were eagerly awaiting, not the latest hardline CAVE scoring gauntlet... I did wonder at the time :shock:)
Sengoku Strider

Rastan78 wrote:
BIL wrote:If anything, I hope this might lead them to a second collection with the MSX games. (or the 16bit games, I guess, but I've got those - I am console peasant 3;) M2 stuff is day 1 for me on principle but MSX Aleste 2 would be day 1er. Image
New Aleste for Mega Drive, not GG would be day 1est.
NGL, major Sega fan, love the Genesis, but I'd rather they do a 16-bit tribute on hardware with better colour display.

M.U.S.H.A. was a fairly dingy affair. While it was clearly a stylistic choice, even the technical marvel games on the system that upped the colour display showed the sacrifices needed and how limited the hardware is in that area (and it will forever perplex me that the Sega CD didn't improve on this, the oatmeal FMV that resulted killed it imo).

With Blazing Lazers Compile nailed that "glowing in the darkness" look the TG-16 does so well.

And with Space Mega Force, Compile cracked the code on the SNES by getting tons of stuff happening on screen without sacrifice in a way that I don't think any other shooter on the hardware managed at the time (maybe Rendering Ranger, never actually played it). And unlike so many other action games on the system they didn't have to use DSP chips to pull it off.

kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

So, what’s the easiest way to snag this?
It’s gotten to the point where I wish we had a dedicated site to help people figure out which versions of these Japanese releases exist, and where to best buy them...
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Talking just the regular edition...

There's no DLC, so the digital version and the retail release have the same in-game content. The retail release comes with a book of interviews with the original Aleste staff, along with various art. The digital copy can be bought pretty easily using a Japanese Switch/PSN account and Japanese gift cards. The digital version costs Y4500 and the retail copy is listed at Y6800, though some stores have preorders for cheaper.

A few different stores have their own first press bonuses, but most stores selling them don't seem to ship internationally. Here's a few places that sell internationally:
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

That’s awesome, thanks for typing that out!
Hopefully it helps others also.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Rastan78 wrote: Also a new Game Gear game in 2020. That's pretty cool.
This is the actual GG screen resolution:

For fuck's fuck.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah those pixels would be huge scaled up on a larger monitor.

Here's another way to play for the extremely devoted shmuppers with cash to spare. GG Power Strike II on Mega SG with cart adapter to Analogue DAC to Sony CRT. That's legit lol
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

I just managed to place a pre-order for the Game Gear Aleste Collection for PS4 on amazon.co.jp without paying scalper prices.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08JBJ3233/

The version that isn't limited to Amazon is even a little cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08JBS56C7/

Haven't checked the Switch version, but for those looking for the cheapest price and missed out earlier go look now.
Sengoku Strider

I just got a notification from PlayAsia my order has shipped.
Meloin

Post by Meloin »

I just played a few rounds on my Switch. Struggling a bit with the menus,but there’s a lot of content.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I think getting ACA Gradius III and a brand-new GG Aleste on the same evening has broken me slightly, a bit like an old grossout tale that went around my highschool about some thugs beating down a rival hood savagely, then jerking him off before dumping his battered form outside the local ICU. I can't handle such extremes atm, I'm gonna get drunk and come back. Image

Hohoo, that radial meter is beautiful. As if I didn't already associate the trademark Compile BODY RAM with Psyvariar's INVISIBLE TIME. Image

I would love this to kick off a wave of pro-standard 8/16/32bit productions. F all the other noise, that's plenty of horsepower for guys who know what they're doing. TBH though imma go play Mark III Aleste a bit, I occasionally like feeling like a gravity-bound hellhammer falling towards its doomed target at terminal velocity Image