Aleste is coming back?!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Aleste is coming back?!

Post by BIL »

Herr Schatten wrote:The third boss also seems to reference Garegga, doesn't it?
Yeah definitely, while its lock-on bombardment instantly made me think of later Soukyugurentai boss attacks. :smile:
Special World

Post by Special World »

Yeah, they definitely do look like Dodonpachi and Garegga. I don’t know what a typical Aleste boss looks like really, but probably not that? Still, they do look quite nice. Agreed—there’s almost nothing to find fault with. To be honest, it makes a lot of classics look pretty shoddy in comparison. I don’t tend to like STGs without stupid bonkers bullets and scoring systems, but GG3 is tight from every angle. I really didn’t know M2 had this in them—their arrange modes leave me cold. I guess when you’re short of perfection, bring in the talent that’ll take you there. Not ever gonna doubt M2 again unless they give me a reason to. Almost makes me wish i got the dinky little Game Gear micro, but i can’t imagine that actually being a good play experience instead of a neat collector thing that’ll be worth $500 someday.

ED: Also i gotta say that once again the M2 gadgets are so clutch. I would not have any understanding of the invincibility frames without them, and they make for half the fun as I dive for P-chips and powerups. The character portraits are also a very nice touch.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Special World wrote:I don’t know what a typical Aleste boss looks like really, but probably not that?
Like a bunch of turrets that open and close, sitting on top of some kind of structure. GGA3 actually does have one of those, as the second midboss of stage 4.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I could be mistaken, but from what I played of the MSX Aleste, I'm under the impression the SMS game was made first. The cutscenes and new stage feel like something that was added later and there's an odd feeling that the MSX game has two intro stages with multiple numbered power ups set up. The city stage feels like something that was added for plot reasons and the starting stage on SMS feels similar to starting stages in Zanac and other Aleste games. I also heard the second new stage in the MSX Aleste is very short.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BrianC wrote:I could be mistaken, but from what I played of the MSX Aleste, I'm under the impression the SMS game was made first. The cutscenes and new stage feel like something that was added later and there's an odd feeling that the MSX game has two intro stages with multiple numbered power ups set up. The city stage feels like something that was added for plot reasons and the starting stage on SMS feels similar to starting stages in Zanac and other Aleste games. I also heard the second new stage in the MSX Aleste is very short.
This is correct, that version hit 5 months after the Master System. The story goes that Sega asked them to make a new shooter for them after the success of Zanac, they came up with the Aleste title & this time around Compile were savvy enough to maintain rights to the name.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Finally fired up GG Aleste 1 last night after having cleared 2 and 3, and I say it is perhaps the most generous shmup I've ever played. I rolled into the last level with about 8 lives, and then it suddenly dumped a bunch more on me for some reason. I looked over, and the counter had jumped to 12. I died a couple times, and then during the final boss fight it did the same thing and granted me several extra lives all at once. I finished the game with 13 in stock.

They REALLY want you to clear that game (at least on normal mode).
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

It's easier to just describe Aleste bosses as "just like Zanac for the most part"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

It's not Aleste if the framerate isn't chugging.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Here's a nice article about GG Aleste 3 on Eurogamer, talking to M2 about the development of the game:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021 ... agnum-opus
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

EmperorIng wrote:Here's a nice article about GG Aleste 3 on Eurogamer, talking to M2 about the development of the game:
I like that

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

EmperorIng wrote:Here's a nice article about GG Aleste 3 on Eurogamer, talking to M2 about the development of the game:
Very interesting read. I didn't know that the main programmer is the guy who made Blade Buster. I did notice the similarities between parts of stage 3 of GGA3 and his proof-of-concept video "Musha Aleste score attack on the Mark III" from his youtube channel, though.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Been playing GG Aleste II. Got all the way to the final boss and died (though I have been alternating between the collection, mega SG, mister, and even the unofficial SMS port). It was the SMS port where I made it to the last boss. Nice porting job, though the SMS couldn't quite match the GG colors and many graphics in the hack have a purple tint to them.

I like that Guardian Legend shmup intro song. It reminds me quite a but of Wind Beneath my Wings.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I whould say M2 have gone a bit too far with GG Aleste 3. After Ive beaten GG1 and 2 I think GG3 runs too much in slow motion. Its not far away from R-Type Final. It looks of course awesome but it seems to be too much for the hardware. But I will get me an 1cc in GG3 before I judge it.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Herr Schatten wrote:I have difficulties making up my mind about GG Aleste II. While I generally enjoyed my time with it and I won't deny that it plays reasonably well, I feel that it's the least polished game in the collection by quite a margin. Not only because of the occasional heavy glitch it gives the impression of a product that's been rushed out the door. In fact, I'd go as far as calling it unfinished.

- Stage 3 seems to be missing a proper boss. Instead there's just a bigger enemy that's not really different from the midbosses in other stages.

- The final boss looks impressive, but it doesn't really do a whole lot. After the boss right before it it seems strangely anticlimactic, as if they already had done the graphics and didn't want them to go to waste even if they couldn't finish programming the boss's attack patterns in time.

- While the bosses at least give the impression that some thought went into them, the stages have you literally fighting the same 3-5 enemy formations throughout the game.

The game's a strange beast, really, and the strong caravan vibe it gives off is fun in its own way, but compared to GGA1, that one seems much more thoughtfully constructed (even if it's devoid of challenge).
I dont think that way. After beating GGA1 Ive thought too, that it has been made with more polish. Way better soundtrack, no frustration moments, larger, less distracting, more weapons. BUT GGA1 was so much more simple on the level design side. After level 1 you see the same enemy patterns all along. Its there in GGA2 but Compile made much more of them and all of those midbosses. The bosses are more complex too. Thats why GGA2 felt much more diverse for me and it has much more ideas - even if not all of them are well made.
Both have their stengths but GGA2 seems to by way more professional and advanced made. Even if it has a bit more edges than GGA1.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Angry Hina wrote:I whould say M2 have gone a bit too far with GG Aleste 3. After Ive beaten GG1 and 2 I think GG3 runs too much in slow motion. Its not far away from R-Type Final. It looks of course awesome but it seems to be too much for the hardware. But I will get me an 1cc in GG3 before I judge it.
You know you can turn off slowdowns right. Its butter smooth when you turn off the slowdown
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

No, didnt know :D

But then its not Geme Gear true, richt?^^
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Angry Hina wrote:No, didnt know :D

But then its not Geme Gear true, richt?^^
You can either play it at full butter smooth speed which is awesome or play with genuine lag.

Your choice... but I'm telling you your missing out turning the slowdowns off!

If you don't want to try it yourself just check out youtube 1cc videos without slowdowns

Amazon experience! :D
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

Ed Oscuro wrote:It's not Aleste if the framerate isn't chugging.
hehe, yup. And sprite flicker.

Am I the only crazy bastard here who actually wants sprite flicker in all Aleste games?
am I just a hopeless retro-purist? XD :P
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
minion

Post by minion »

Thanks for sharing that, super interesting read.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Finally had some time to sit down and beat GGA3.
It was a great experience.
Game felt like I was playing a Gunhed/Star Soldier hybrid...
Nice ending too.

Also... just found out Manabu Namiki was the director and designer...
good for him. He seems to love the genre.

Is there a reason to go for a 1cc...? Any extra stages or unlocks?
Special World

Post by Special World »

You go for a 1cc because you like that challenge. And then you go for the Special 1cc.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://m2stg.com/senxin-aleste/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZbszby0TOc

There's now a page and teaser for Senjin Aleste.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

xxx1993 wrote:https://m2stg.com/senxin-aleste/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZbszby0TOc

There's now a page and teaser for Senjin Aleste.
Jesus, I need this in my life. The music, visuals, and what bullet patterns we can see look great. Who knows when it'll actually come out, but damn.

Location tests for the arcade version are in May, but uh...arcades are pretty close to dead in Japan now, so if they don't do a console release of this down the road, they're just wasting all their time and effort for almost no return.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I like the art style, but seriously why can't they just make them over 18 if they're going to be shown all curvy and wearing tights? Sad that this is pretty much typical.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Rastan78 wrote:I like the art style, but seriously why can't they just make them over 18 if they're going to be shown all curvy and wearing tights? Sad that this is pretty much typical.
Always has been, unfortunately. This is Japan.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Well the Japanese pronuncion of the name is Arrester...

And wow, that gameplay has some HEAVY DDP influence.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

From the gameplay teaser, the game looks great but doesn't remind me of Aleste at all. Looking forward to it anyway.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm under the impression that some of the ideas for the game may have came from the cancelled Denin Aleste 2 and some of Compile's newsletters. The former was planned to have a female MC and the latter had girls in similar jumpsuits to the ones in Senjin Aleste. Denin Aleste 2's ship designs were mecha ala Musha Aleste, Spriggan, and the original Denin Aleste, though. I remember M2 hinting at reviving a cancelled game (though I was under the impression it was an AC game), but I'm not sure if that was a serious comment or an April Fools joke.
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

Ugh. They just lost a sale.