shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:45 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Aleste is coming back?!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:48 pm 

I like it more than Radiant Silvergun. Though, what's the difference between the original and the Otokuyo versions?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:58 pm 

xxx1993 wrote:
I like it more than Radiant Silvergun. Though, what's the difference between the original and the Otokuyo versions?

I just can't get into RS at all, (there's too many weapons/buttons to figure out ) granted I do need to put more time into though.

The Otokuyo version has the white cover (cheaper re-print). **I believe this version has a demo of Battle Garegga & also fixes the bugs that the original would display if you played the game on an US Saturn with an Action Replay**

** I can't confirm if this is true as I don't actually own the Otokuyo version and I own a JP saturn myself ** Am sure someone on here would confirm that

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:06 pm 

That's a series you wouldn't have expected to come back again, but there we are!
Hope this new Aleste game takes a page from everything Zanac Neo did to improve the Compile formula and make it interesting to play.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 pm 

And again, I want this Aleste to be more sci-fi themed and not steampunk like Power Strike II and Robo Aleste, but make Ellinor the protagonist again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:06 am 

Well, the two images make it look to be sci-fi, thematically.
I hope M2 don't emulate Compile's design decisions too accurately, as some of the Aleste games had moments that kind of dragged on a bit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:40 am 

No_not_like_Quake wrote:
I hope M2 don't emulate Compile's design decisions too accurately, as some of the Aleste games had moments that kind of dragged on a bit.

Thankfully I'm not too worried about that, M2 seems like a bunch of guys that know what they're doing when it comes to this genre.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:51 am 

And what about Ellinor Waizen? Do you want her to return in this game?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:52 am 

You're gonna have to accept one day that literally nobody cares about lore as much as you do, my guy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:50 am 

trap15 wrote:
You're gonna have to accept one day that literally nobody cares about lore as much as you do, my guy.

True story.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:10 am 

No_not_like_Quake wrote:

That's why I'm cautiously excited. This has the potential to be the best Aleste game ever by virtue of ignoring Compile's worst tendencies.

garrz32 wrote:
The Otokuyo version has the white cover (cheaper re-print). **I believe this version has a demo of Battle Garegga & also fixes the bugs that the original would display if you played the game on an US Saturn with an Action Replay**

** I can't confirm if this is true as I don't actually own the Otokuyo version and I own a JP saturn myself ** Am sure someone on here would confirm that

True. This makes the stage practice option actually usable (it is totally fucked in the normal release on a US Saturn). It also lets you skip the blast-off introduction, which if you skip on the US Saturn the screen gets filled with artifacts. I think it's about 24 seconds, if I recall correctly!

The only downside is that you lose out on that awesome Engrish, with giant text declaring "OBJECTIVE: CONDUCT SURPRISE ATTACK ON UNITS MAKING SURPRISE ATTACK ON ALLIED FORCES" and the fuckin' AWESOME boss/place names like PERILDAWN, G-OMEN, B-LIZARD, and VICTIMIZER. That and realizing the game is about corporate warfare and not aliens like every drooling braindead internet reviewer that talks about Soukyugurentai.

You guys do know there's a Souky score thread, right? Always need to remind people!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:08 am 

Souky thread, yeah! Whoo! Still don't really understand how to play the game...

trap15 wrote:

Well, hold on a minute, nothing wrong with a little continuity keeping. There are all sorts of games I'd like real translations for, such as Aleste 2 and the Spriggans. But there's a line you cross where you care in the wrong way, and for some reason this forum gets quite a few people like that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:27 am 

EmperorIng wrote:

The only downside is that you lose out on that awesome Engrish, with giant text declaring "OBJECTIVE: CONDUCT SURPRISE ATTACK ON UNITS MAKING SURPRISE ATTACK ON ALLIED FORCES" and the fuckin' AWESOME boss/place names like PERILDAWN, G-OMEN, B-LIZARD, and VICTIMIZER. That and realizing the game is about corporate warfare and not aliens like every drooling braindead internet reviewer that talks about Soukyugurentai.

:lol: :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:08 am 

Oh! Me too, sure hope they bring back Ellinor back as the main protagonist in a more sci-fi oriented scenario. Also Dia 51´s plant mayhem in slightly advanced graphics would look amazing. Aleste 1 & 2 (the msx game) are still my favourites in the series (along with zanac) so I hope the reboot gives them the neo zanac treatment. I think they did a lot of things right with this game. The visuals should look like 32 bit games of the late 90ies for me. Souky-Style would be fine of course. I would consider buying a swith for this. So far I bought quite a few consoles for compile games especially (msx2, turboduo, gamegear...).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:48 am 

Finally tried Zanac x Zanac, and salivating at the prospect of a new compile game. M2 has veterans from way back on their team too, so can anyone name a "meh" title they have worked on? Also soyuky is a blast and has a flavor of compile in there too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:21 pm 

I'm currently wondering if it'll be for the Switch or PS4...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:26 pm 

Some might say their ReBirth games on the Wii were meh, but that's a long time ago now and a somewhat different type of project.

Even back then they had a stellar reputation for retro work and I can't think of anything that wasn't a sterling effort in the decade since :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:25 pm 

bigbadboaz wrote:
Some might say their ReBirth games on the Wii were meh, but that's a long time ago now and a somewhat different type of project.

Even back then they had a stellar reputation for retro work and I can't think of anything that wasn't a sterling effort in the decade since :shock:

I liked their Contra ReBirth a lot. My only gripe is that it got a little Metal Slug by the middle of the game-- Contra definitely has its own identity and it's different. But wonderful work on the stage designs, FM-laden music tracks, and the art was retro in a tasteful way. Hmm, never did beat that final boss though! If the new Aleste is at least as good as that, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:41 pm 

I wonder if this is the project Hiroshi Iuchi is working on after Ubusana was put on hold? Would have thought they mention it if it was though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:50 am 

I always wondered what Ubusana would have looked like.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:49 am 

Was never officially cancelled, was it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:00 pm 

I... haven't heard from it in a while.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:42 pm 

Ubusana was just announced this year, wasn't it? And they literally said right off the bat it's going to be years before it's finished iirc, I don't understand what you guys are worried about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:43 pm 

Ubusana was announced in 2014 and not even a screenshot has surfaced since then. Might as well forget it exists until something actually concrete happens, IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 pm 

CloudyMusic wrote:
Ubusana was announced in 2014 and not even a screenshot has surfaced since then. Might as well forget it exists until something actually concrete happens, IMO.

Oh...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:12 pm 

Let's just focus on what the new Aleste title will bring us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:42 am 

trap15 wrote:

If wanting Ellie back is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:13 am 

cj iwakura wrote:
trap15 wrote:

Ellinor is the heroine from the first few Alestes, right? Isn't she in GG Aleste too? If so, I'm on Team Ellinor \o/ she's frickin' cool

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:51 am 

louisg wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:
trap15 wrote:

Ellinor is the heroine from the first few Alestes, right? Isn't she in GG Aleste too? If so, I'm on Team Ellinor \o/ she's frickin' cool

Not the first Aleste (If I remember correctly, her dad is the hero of that one), but she is in GG Aleste, Aleste 2 MSX2, and Musha Aleste.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:22 am 

BrianC wrote:
louisg wrote:

Not the first Aleste (If I remember correctly, her dad is the hero of that one), but she is in GG Aleste, Aleste 2 MSX2, and Musha Aleste.

Yeah, she should totally be the main character. Bonus points for the punkish 80s style cuz she totally looks like she could be in a new wave band:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleste_2# ... -title.png

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:15 pm 

I agree. Give us back her 80s look too, her Aleste 2 incarnation is my personal favorite.

Offline Profile