M2 ShotTriggers: ESP rade

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DoomsDave

Re: M2 ShotTriggers: ESP rade

Post by DoomsDave »

GSK wrote:I'm sure I come off like a M2-bot on twitter sometimes but they're the only STG dudes regularly making moves, so it can't be helped.
Everything you do on twitter is super appreciated. It's how I find a lot of stuff out.
GSK

Post by GSK »

Ideally they'll be able to include multiple ROMs per release, too--the Shottriggers releases are basically just the one ROM and while that's fine for the games they've released so far, I can't think of many Toa games offhand where they could please everyone with just one version. Arcade Archives isn't entirely consistent in that regard but they do at least try.
DoomsDave wrote:
GSK wrote:I'm sure I come off like a M2-bot on twitter sometimes but they're the only STG dudes regularly making moves, so it can't be helped.
Everything you do on twitter is super appreciated. It's how I find a lot of stuff out.
No problem! I've been toying with putting up a proper STG news blog recently--people have started pinging me asking me to tweet about certain games like it's my job or something, which tells me a) people are desperate for places to find/signal-boost STG stuff, and b) anyone who follows me but doesn't care about STG must be sick of skimming past all that shit, so I ought to dump it somewhere else and spare them the inconvenience.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

GSK wrote:

EDIT: M2 also struck a deal for Boogie Wings/The Great Ragtime Show, which is sort of a self-indulgent pick on behalf of M2's president, but no news beyond that.
Nice!! Seeing that the PCB is a small fortune nowadays
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Is this game having updated graphics and arrange modes? What is the appeal of this release?
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

That news about Toaplan games being ported by M2 couldn't get better. Sega Ages style of releases would be just perfect (so save states in all of them) for this if they want to do the separately and not a collection. Hopefully they mix the order up and do not do it chronologically. Truxton was the second shmup I have ever played back in the eighties and actually one of the first video games I ever played (Dragon Sprit was the first shmup), so I couldn't be happier about this.

It's going to be interesting to see what will be the next shot triggers release though, or will there be one if they have their hands full with all of those toaplan, sega ages, mini-console releases, aleste branch etc.

Anyway, ESPrade is next and really hyped about it. Been playing it in the arcade recently on few occasions in the past few months and I'm really liking it. I think it's also one of those shmups, which casual players can get into too, but with still has enough depth for hardcore audience.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Xyga wrote:The only market is for a few thousand old nerds around the world, who already played and/or bought the games many times over in the last two decades on any format available including pcb's, who have been buying imports since the 90's, and today will have a PS4 that plays them anyway.

Most customers are returning and only curious about the little added novelties, gadgets, or something to add to their collection.
Considering the cost of localizations, I'd say it all makes perfect sense that M2 don't do any by their own means, as there aren't enough customers no matter what even if they set 20 languages and put cocaine in the games cases.

There really is no real 'market', shmups are relics or retrogaming curio, in this era such releases are only exploiting the bottom end of the surviving niche.
While much truth is said... do you really have to be so negative? You make us all sound like losers for liking these games. They're great games. They're just out of fashion.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

el_rika wrote:Is this game having updated graphics and arrange modes? What is the appeal of this release?
The appeal is that we don’t all own the PCB. Does it need new graphics to be fun?
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

brentsg wrote:
el_rika wrote:Is this game having updated graphics and arrange modes? What is the appeal of this release?
The appeal is that we don’t all own the PCB. Does it need new graphics to be fun?
No, surely it's an absolutely great & fun game, but it's been available (via emulation) on every concievable platform known to man since 15 years ago. You could not "not" have it in your PC or phone or console even if you wanted to :lol: It's one of those roms that feels like it's been everywhere since forever.
In this release i was hoping for some amazing arrange if not for some updated visuals.

Is something confirmed either way?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If memory serves there's a mode with expanded story stuff (not sure if the gameplay's been changed) as well as a "mission" or "challenge" mode of sorts, though someone else might want to confirm I have that right. Presumably M2 has also included its usual bevy o' options and tweaks and whatnot; if nothing else I'd guess they've included the ability to disable the game's infamous infinite boss milking.

That being said, hopefully some kind soul will be willing to translate and post at least the most important stuff once the game is out, since assuming the game isn't getting localized it'll be tricky to take advantage of a lot of the new stuff if you don't read Japanese.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

evil_ash_xero wrote:While much truth is said... do you really have to be so negative? You make us all sound like losers for liking these games. They're great games. They're just out of fashion.
I should be used to be misunderstood but *sigh*; I am not negative, just telling the truth indeed, about the genre, our demographics, and local markets size.
And there is nothing bad said about the games nor us liking old games, you mistake observing reality and making judgements of value.
What's actually negative in my eyes is to sugarcoat reality imagining unrealistic developments and perspectives, or telling people who speak the truth that they are negative.

Anyway to stay on-topic face it; it is already incredible that those games get re-releases and 1st-ever ports today on modern systems, incredible even in Japan IMHO.
If I recall someone explained the high price of the physical ShotTrigger releases specifically because M2 cannot take financial risks, not even mentioning potential localizations.
LRG Garegga was the only miracle+ for westerners, people can keep their fingers crossed for more if they want, but honestly how hard is it to import and navigate the few menus in Japanese ?

Personally ESP.Ra.De is the one I'll be happiest to get, as this was always one of my favourite Cave.
(*cough* whens ibara tho)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

That's phenomenal news! :D

I'm so happy that these games still get this much love from the creators today, and, reviewing their previous work, there couldn't have been anyone better to handle it than M2 I don't think -

Thanks a lot GSK for relaying the news here :)

Also, I was more under the impression that M2 (or, at least the ShotTriggers division) were eating into capital for trying to sustain this passion project for as long as they could.
Instead, now we're being pleasantly surprised that they're acquiring licenses left and right. It seems prospects aren't really this gloomy after all!

Edit: one sentence of the tweet says: "I want to aim for all titles from next year as long as there is a company" (GT). Well.. Image

BulletMagnet: what I know is what GSK posted earlier in this thread:
GSK wrote:Inoue was heavily involved in the beginning--he drew most of the new promotional art, he rewrote and expanded the original script, supervised the new VA and helped conceive the new content. What's specifically being referenced in that above quote is the "Arcade Plus" mode, which has the new VA, HD character/boss illustrations that show up in the gadgets and so on; it's remastered to a certain extent but it's not a full HD overhaul. It'll also be tweaked to address boss milking [...]
I too am hoping that somebody will kindly make an effort for translating the most important stuff...
GSK

Post by GSK »

First off, it has the suite of features that all these releases have: the "gadgets" on either side of the screen that relay useful info, a tweaked "super easy" mode for newcomers, a custom game setting that lets you completely mess with the paramaters of the game and a training-esque mode called Arcade Challenge, plus replays, leaderboards, screen settings, button config, etc.

The new arrange mode is called "Arcade Plus" and the big new addition is the new character, Alice Master: she's both the TLB and an unlockable player-character who was designed for scoreplay. They've also revised the scoring to minimise milking and added a lot of extra window dressing--an arranged soundtrack by SuperSweep, new VA with a new script, HD illustrations for certain sections, etc. The superplayer Clover-TAC sort of wormed his way onto the team and has had a lot of input on this mode.

There's also a beginner mode called "Irori's Room" that has you playing mini-challenges in order to earn tickets you can use to play dressup with Irori, and there's a leveling element that gives you advantages during the challenges or something. I haven't really read up on it, because it looks like this:

https://img-eshop.cdn.nintendo.net/i/8e ... jpg?w=1000

https://img-eshop.cdn.nintendo.net/i/39 ... jpg?w=1000
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Amazing news.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Those are all great additions! Thanks GSK.
mainpatr5

Post by mainpatr5 »

It's not a shmup,but Ghox needs more love! One of Toaplan's weirder,more obscure games. More importantly REMASTER MUSHA! M2 owns the rights to Aleste and Toaplan games now. Toaplan published MUSHA in Japan. Also I got a kick out of the auto-correct turning Aleste into Allstate.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Seems like something as big as an announcement of Toaplan games getting console ports for the first time in 25 years (by M2 even!) would warrant its own thread. Since I'm not on Twitter I nearly missed this because I have no interest in Esprade.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I'm seeing people on Instagram posting that Esprade is up for pre-load now on the Japanese eshop. Given that I'll have to wait at least a couple days for shipping, it's going to be just about impossible to not buy it digitally before my physical copy arrives.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

OmegaFlareX wrote:Seems like something as big as an announcement of Toaplan games getting console ports for the first time in 25 years (by M2 even!) would warrant its own thread. Since I'm not on Twitter I nearly missed this because I have no interest in Esprade.
Said and done!
CRP

Post by CRP »

Esp ra de spoiler
Spoiler
ESP Ra.De. Ψ Gets New Trailer And Alice Master Secret Boss Reveal
https://www.siliconera.com/esp-ra-de-%c ... ss-reveal/
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

CRP wrote:Esp ra de spoiler
Spoiler
ESP Ra.De. Ψ Gets New Trailer And Alice Master Secret Boss Reveal
https://www.siliconera.com/esp-ra-de-%c ... ss-reveal/
Ah man, I want a JB 5th fig so bad...
RagingAvatar

Post by RagingAvatar »

lol I ordered too many from Amazon and can't cancel..
I have 2 Switch LEs with the Amazon bonus and 1 PS4..
Fail.
XB GT: RagingAvatar
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

RagingAvatar wrote:lol I ordered too many from Amazon and can't cancel..
I have 2 Switch LEs with the Amazon bonus and 1 PS4..
Fail.
Nah, that's pure WIN! I am now considering getting it digitally and keeping my Switch LE sealed...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Xyga wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:While much truth is said... do you really have to be so negative? You make us all sound like losers for liking these games. They're great games. They're just out of fashion.
I should be used to be misunderstood but *sigh*; I am not negative, just telling the truth indeed, about the genre, our demographics, and local markets size.
And there is nothing bad said about the games nor us liking old games, you mistake observing reality and making judgements of value.
What's actually negative in my eyes is to sugarcoat reality imagining unrealistic developments and perspectives, or telling people who speak the truth that they are negative.

Personally ESP.Ra.De is the one I'll be happiest to get, as this was always one of my favourite Cave.
(*cough* whens ibara tho)
"Xyga: Misunderstood Genius, in His Time" :lol:
But yeah, ESP Ra.de. is an absolute blast. Can't wait.
I'd love some new games, but... as you said. They ain't really in demand. Makes me sad.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

evil_ash_xero wrote:"Xyga: Misunderstood Genius, in His Time" :lol:
Nah, there's just A LOT of stupid and hypocrite ppl around who can't stand being around someone who's simply honest, that sort of mentality being foreign to them, they feel offended and absolutely HAVE to go at me anywhere anytime, ruining my mood and threads for everyone. Just like you do now. Y'all entitled morals leucocytes have been seriously wearing my patience off lately, popping-in to prosecute my opinions whether you understood my point or missed it completely (most often 2nd case), and that in the middle of whatever discussion, totally unrelated to the topic...well go * yourselves, you don't want drama? stop picking fights with me wherever whenever. Got a problem with me that has nothing to do with the thread ? well I have a PM box: use it, otherwise it gets dirty in public, like now: your f* fault for starting it.

Can we resume talking about ESP Ra.De instead ? or...
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I was getting all excited thinking its going to be shipping in a few days.

Checks my amazon.jp order and its shipping Dec 22nd :(
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

My P-A one says 19th.

Welp, I did not expect it to make it to my place before Xmas and maybe not even for 2019.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Shelcoof wrote:I was getting all excited thinking its going to be shipping in a few days.

Checks my amazon.jp order and its shipping Dec 22nd :(
Surely the arrival date is the 22nd? My Amazon order says release is the 19th, ETA is 22-24.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Glick wrote:It's also pretty easy to buy them on PSN (digitally) or PlayAsia/Amazon (physical, if it ends up existing). You really don't need to know Japanese to read the menus. 20 minutes of experimentation and you're set for life. Usually someone here will post a translation too.
Thanks, I got as far as creating my PSN JP account, but when I went to plug in my Paypal info for Ketsui, it rejected it. Any ideas?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

digitron wrote:
Glick wrote:It's also pretty easy to buy them on PSN (digitally) or PlayAsia/Amazon (physical, if it ends up existing). You really don't need to know Japanese to read the menus. 20 minutes of experimentation and you're set for life. Usually someone here will post a translation too.
Thanks, I got as far as creating my PSN JP account, but when I went to plug in my Paypal info for Ketsui, it rejected it. Any ideas?
You can get JPN credit off PlayAsia and similar sites. You pay a bit of a premium on it but that's always been my tack in the past. Never failed me.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Stanshall wrote:
digitron wrote:
You can get JPN credit off PlayAsia and similar sites. You pay a bit of a premium on it but that's always been my tack in the past. Never failed me.
Gotcha, thanks, if it costs more then maybe I'll just grab a physical copy from Amazon JP..