M2 ShotTriggers: ESP rade

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Re: M2 ShotTriggers: ESP rade

Post by Tokyo-J »

This and Ketsui are supposed to have Western Releases. I would not mind a Limited Run physical release along with Sorcer Striker and Dangun Feveron.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Tokyo-J wrote:This and Ketsui are supposed to have Western Releases.
I'd heard of Ketsui coming Westward but wasn't aware of Ra.de being localized; do you have a source for that?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

BulletMagnet wrote:
I'd heard of Ketsui coming Westward but wasn't aware of Ra.de being localized; do you have a source for that?
Yes, I second this, curious where you heard it.

EDIT: Wrong thread for Ketsui questions!
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

So, I only had time for a few credits, but it seemed like there were very different stages depending (I'm guessing) on what character you choose. At least the graphics seemed very different. That was very surprising and interesting. I was pretty blown away by the look of the game at first glance, never having played it or watched videos of it. Impressive!

I didn't really understand the shooting options or scoring at all. Is that part of the game interesting as well?
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

XtraSmiley wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:
Yes, I second this, curious where you heard it.

EDIT: Wrong thread for Ketsui questions!
I'd like to know where you heard this as well. I've been waiting for a western release for a while now. I don't want to pay $70 for the switch import. Keep going back and forth on buying digital.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Shogun wrote:
I'd like to know where you heard this as well. I've been waiting for a western release for a while now. I don't want to pay $70 for the switch import. Keep going back and forth on buying digital.

I guessing this is based on the fact that there were English achievements for the game. I don't think that means anything for sure.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

professor ganson wrote:So, I only had time for a few credits, but it seemed like there were very different stages depending (I'm guessing) on what character you choose.
If memory serves the first 3 stages' order is shuffled depending on your character choice, so you'll play all 3 no matter who you pick but the difficulty will vary depending on how early/late in the character's sequence each is. I think there's an option to adjust this somewhere in the gadgets, but don't quote me on that.
I didn't really understand the shooting options or scoring at all. Is that part of the game interesting as well?
I'm not an expert, but off the top of my head the main gimmick (outside of boss milking, which is its own kettle of fish) is hitting an enemy with the "bubble shot" and then finishing it off with the "normal" shot before the "bubbles" completely dissipate; the more "bubbles" that remain when the baddie dies the higher the multiplier you get, up to x16 (obviously you can only really exploit this with enemies strong enough to take a bit of punishment).

At first enemies drop P icons to power up your shot; once you're fully juiced they drop red point items instead (which are also affected by the multiplier). Collecting those fills up a counter off to the side somewhere; once it's maxed out, whenever some of your "bomb meter" (said "bomb" can be charged, it should be noted) has been used up enemies will temporarily drop bomb refill items instead of point items. The counter will then empty and you'll start filling it back up with point items again; IIRC it takes a bit more to fill every time this happens, but I'm not positive.

I think those are the basics; someone more versed than myself will have to clean up whatever mess I made here, heh.
professor ganson

Huge thanks, BM! That's super helpful. The scoring system sounds a bit tedious, but no doubt it's got its cool moments. I haven't been this excited about a post-80s shmup in a couple years.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

professor ganson wrote:So, I only had time for a few credits, but it seemed like there were very different stages depending (I'm guessing) on what character you choose.
It does vary by character, but you can also alter the order depending on which button (A, B, C) you press to confirm your character choice.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

professor ganson wrote:The scoring system sounds a bit tedious, but no doubt it's got its cool moments.
For whatever it's worth I rather like Ra.de's scoring system; you'll already want to be using the "regular" and "bubble" shots in tandem to bring targets down, so while making it happen in a specific way requires a bit more focus it isn't too far removed from what you'd be doing by default. It does take some practice to get a "feel" for when to bring the hammer down on an almost-dead enemy since only bosses have life meters to watch, but since there's no ongoing chain or the like to worry about you don't have to say "well, there goes that entire run" if you either focus purely on survival for a tough bit or just mess up the old-fashioned way, heh.
professor ganson

Good to know-- thank Jonpachi!

Right, BM-- I much prefer forgiving scoring systems, and more generally you've made it sound rather appealing with these additional remarks. It's so awesome finally to get to experience a game I've heard such great things about over many years.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Jonpachi wrote:
It does vary by character, but you can also alter the order depending on which button (A, B, C) you press to confirm your character choice.
Yep, each character has a predetermined starting stage (which is story driven):
Yuusuke: the high school
Irori: the docks
JB 5th: the mall

If a character is selected with 'A', then the next two stages will be randomized between the remaining 2 starter levels, each with an increase in rank.
If a character is selected with either 'B' or 'C', then the level order is locked with one being stages in 1-2-3 order and the other being 1-3-2 order.
BulletMagnet wrote:At first enemies drop P icons to power up your shot; once you're fully juiced they drop red point items instead (which are also affected by the multiplier). Collecting those fills up a counter off to the side somewhere; once it's maxed out, whenever some of your "bomb meter" (said "bomb" can be charged, it should be noted) has been used up enemies will temporarily drop bomb refill items instead of point items. The counter will then empty and you'll start filling it back up with point items again; IIRC it takes a bit more to fill every time this happens, but I'm not positive.
The bonus meter starts with a max of 200. Once it is filled and then drained, the new max will become 300. Once that is maxed and drained, the next new max will become 400.
professor ganson

Cool, thanks for all the knowledge. I think I'm going to go to youtube to see whether I'm doing the right thing. So far the game is pretty hard going for me-- survival-wise as well as scoring.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

The challenge mode in this is so awesome. I initially found Irori tough to use (too slow) but this pretty quickly improved my game & I can get through the first couple of stages without dying after just a little practice. That stage 4 difficulty brick wall is going to be another story though.

I hope they give the Aleste collection the same type of training mode, it makes a huge difference.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I know there was speculation over how well this had done, and looks like we've got an answer: it's going into another print run on Switch due to strong Switch sales over the course of the year. https://twitter.com/STGshmups/status/13 ... 7896157187
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Ms. Tea wrote:I know there was speculation over how well this had done, and looks like we've got an answer: it's going into another print run on Switch due to strong Switch sales over the course of the year. https://twitter.com/STGshmups/status/13 ... 7896157187
Well deserved, this edition of the game's hands down one of the best shmups I've ever played.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Received the Switch version in the mail this week. I hope I will be able to give it some time in the near future. Quick questions:

1. How can I set up seperate buttons for the normal shot with and without autofire? I can't imagine I'm supposed to actually hammer the shot button for the normal shot, but the control options got me all confused. Ideally, I want to have autofire (tap) on the right shoulder button and concentrated shot (shot button held down) on Y.

2. What does the X button do? I hear a sound when I press it, but nothing else seems to happen.

3. Is there any good reason to play Arcade mode over Arcade Plus?
Last edited by Herr Schatten on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

If there is a translation of the menu screens, I'd be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

Marc wrote:If there is a translation of the menu screens, I'd be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I'm not sure if switch is the same or not, but this is the thread I used for ps4 version.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65731
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

STGAlmond wrote:
Marc wrote:If there is a translation of the menu screens, I'd be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I'm not sure if switch is the same or not, but this is the thread I used for ps4 version.
Very helpful, thanks. Got it all set up now.

What is the recommended autofire rate?
Varth

Post by Varth »

Bit of an unusual request, I know, but bear with my OCD please ^^'

I messed up buying ESPRADE PS4 on Amazon JP and ended up with a disk only release. My fault for not checking the description better.

Anyone here with a PS4 disk release that might have a spare hour to help me? Need a scan of the cover in the highest quality possible (DPI, not only resolution) to get it printed. Willing to pay for your time, either in donating to a charity of your choice or by topping up your PayPal.

Thanks for your attention fellow shmuppers, happy holidays.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Varth wrote:Bit of an unusual request, I know, but bear with my OCD please ^^'

I messed up buying ESPRADE PS4 on Amazon JP and ended up with a disk only release. My fault for not checking the description better.

Anyone here with a PS4 disk release that might have a spare hour to help me? Need a scan of the cover in the highest quality possible (DPI, not only resolution) to get it printed. Willing to pay for your time, either in donating to a charity of your choice or by topping up your PayPal.

So you bought just a disc of the game?

If so maybe you can get lucky and get a spare art cover for the game. The original release on Amazon came with two cover arts
Marc

Post by Marc »

STGAlmond wrote:

Many thanks :D
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Varth

Post by Varth »

Shelcoof wrote:

So you bought just a disc of the game?

If so maybe you can get lucky and get a spare art cover for the game. The original release on Amazon came with two cover arts

Really? Interesting. Always assumed it was just one sheet of paper printed on both sides. Unfortunately I've been looking for a box only offer for a while, but no dice.

Anyway, if an european user wants to sell me a spare cover, I'm open for that too.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Varth wrote:
Really? Interesting. Always assumed it was just one sheet of paper printed on both sides. Unfortunately I've been looking for a box only offer for a while, but no dice.

Anyway, if an european user wants to sell me a spare cover, I'm open for that too.
Yhaa the second cover art came separate. It was a Christmas themed Cover Art bonus item though. I think it was Amazon exclusive.

I put my spare in an extra PS4 case and it looks like I have two copies of the game

Here's what it looks like
https://twitter.com/BaltimoreRetro/stat ... 64/photo/1
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Shelcoof wrote:
Varth wrote:

Yhaa the second cover art came separate. It was a Christmas themed Cover Art bonus item though. I think it was Amazon exclusive.

I put my spare in an extra PS4 case and it looks like I have two copies of the game

Here's what it looks like
https://twitter.com/BaltimoreRetro/stat ... 64/photo/1
That's an amazing cover. Like an idiot I chose the wrong one when I purchased it and missed out! Is there anyone who has a high rez scan of the holiday cover, or is the art available online somewhere?
Varth

Post by Varth »

May I propose someone with both covers and access to a HQ scanner create a high-DPI scan of the covers and creates a charity funding account? You could give password access to the files upon proof of donation.
Varth

Post by Varth »

Any chance someone has the game and a scanner or a printing shop close by and is willing to help?

I can pay for your time, even if I would prefer donating to a charity of your choice.

TY
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Varth wrote:

Any chance someone has the game and a scanner or a printing shop close by and is willing to help?

I can pay for your time, even if I would prefer donating to a charity of your choice.

TY
Buddy, I am looking for the special edition cover as well, I guess no one is reading the thread anymore, or has it to help?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Varth wrote:Any chance someone has the game and a scanner or a printing shop close by and is willing to help?

TY
I made high-def scans of the Switch version, but don't think that's going to cut it for you on PS4. Sorry. :/