M2 ShotTriggers: ESP rade

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ms. Tea

Re: M2 ShotTriggers: ESP rade

Post by Ms. Tea »

StarCreator wrote:It's 2020. Make your new year resolution to not shop at Play-Asia anymore. We have better options now.
Yeah, with the ability to buy from Japan-based stores like CD Japan, Amazon, etc. that get their stock on the day of release with great shipping options, buying from Play-Asia really doesn't feel like that great anymore.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

How do you unlock the 4th character? I beat the game but no dice.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Strider77 wrote:How do you unlock the 4th character? I beat the game but no dice.
Were you playing Arcade mode maybe? The 4th character appears in Arcade Plus or Super Easy modes.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

Strider77 wrote:How do you unlock the 4th character? I beat the game but no dice.
1cc super easy mode. Worked for me. Actually is probably my first 1cc too... lol I’ll take it.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I'm not sure why, buy it won't let me upload any of my scores after a game. I get a pop-up with "OFF" in the text, but I'm not sure what's up. I see an "OFF" in the options, but it won't let me turn it on. I just get another pop-up message when I try to change this setting. Any idea how to enable online leaderboards?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
it290

Post by it290 »

I think the 'OFF' popup is just the game telling you not to turn your system OFF while it's saving. Not sure what's up with the leaderboards, maybe you just have to score high enough to place (which I certainly haven't), or maybe (hopefully not) it's region locked somehow?
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

One more question: for some reason my Restart button is not working. The button can still work (checking the menus and even changing its input), but when I hold it down, nothing happens. Since i had it working earlier, is there an option that i messed up for restarts that I accidentally switched off?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Playing this on the PS4 and I'm terrible... but I don't care!!

This is my favorite Cave shmup ever!! Absolutely love it!

Is it me or is the scaling done amazingly well. I find the scrolling super smooth with no shimmering.

I've hooked my PS4 up to an HDMI splitter and running it on my Wide Screen LCD Monitor and Standared 4:3 PC CRT Monitor.

Game is looking really really nice!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Would love to read more opinions on the matter, sorry for reposting this now more people have played it:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:
GFoyle wrote:As for a floaty feeling, maybe there is some more compared to something like dodonpachi (one of the two shmups I often jump between in arcade) or maybe it's a bit like optical illusion because of the graphics and style, esprade having flying humans and all.
This is interesting because then (if we agree that a floaty feeling is one of the least desirable things you can find in the genre), the games with flying humans as avatars would be automatically flawed vs. ship-based games. I think that it may have more to do with how this game's player sprites are animated, there are too many frames for their own good. Espgaluda feels different, I always thought. Then again, I'd like to know more opinions on 'Rade's original input lag: is it Cave's "laggiest" game?
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Jonpachi wrote:I'm not sure why, buy it won't let me upload any of my scores after a game. I get a pop-up with "OFF" in the text, but I'm not sure what's up. I see an "OFF" in the options, but it won't let me turn it on. I just get another pop-up message when I try to change this setting. Any idea how to enable online leaderboards?
After achieving a new high score, it takes a few (10-15?) minutes until it appears on online leaderboards, at least for me. For your score to upload you don't have to do anything yourself. By default it's all automatic. As for the message's meaning, the first sentence of what it290 said is correct.
EmperorIng wrote:One more question: for some reason my Restart button is not working. The button can still work (checking the menus and even changing its input), but when I hold it down, nothing happens. Since i had it working earlier, is there an option that i messed up for restarts that I accidentally switched off?
Maybe you have set your restart button behavior to load the last quicksave (refer to this), but you have no savestates or the chosen slot is empty? Or something? I can't reproduce that, but it would be my best guess.
Shelcoof wrote:Is it me or is the scaling done amazingly well. I find the scrolling super smooth with no shimmering.
When the scaling factor in screen settings is set to an integer (300%, 400%, the first of which is set per default when first firing up the game), there is "per definition" no shimmering as all! It's only when you choose to maximize the game window (336%, 449%) or manually adjust its size that slight shimmering appears.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

6t8k wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:One more question: for some reason my Restart button is not working. The button can still work (checking the menus and even changing its input), but when I hold it down, nothing happens. Since i had it working earlier, is there an option that i messed up for restarts that I accidentally switched off?
Maybe you have set your restart button behavior to load the last quicksave (refer to this), but you have no savestates or the chosen slot is empty? Or something? I can't reproduce that, but it would be my best guess.
FWIW, though I'm not an expert in all the mechanics of these ports or anything, but I don't think the "load" option is normally manually-selectable, but rather it appears after you've already loaded a quicksave. That's what it seems like to me in other M2 ports, at least.

That's all to say that I don't think that's what's happening for EmperorIng, but I don't have any better ideas, unfortunately.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Thanks for the help!

- I have forgotten how the energy recharge mechanic works. Every now and again my character will say something, and there's a "gong" sort of sound, and then the "E" canisters appear for a bit, but it seems random. How does this trigger?

- For Alice players, what is your preferred path? I've been doing Mall/School/Bay, and that seems to be working out pretty well. I don't like doing School as the third level as the boss is just a bullet-sponge when played third and gets too tedious, and the helicopter boss of the Bay is much more manageable on level 3.

- I'm having a lot of fun playing as Alice. At first I was worried she was a bit OP, and she is a boss-killing monster at times, but now I'm finding she's more challenging to score with. It's hard to control her main shot and align all five beams in a row to consistently get x16s out of enemies, and thus requires more stage memorization. Not a bad thing, and I find her a really interesting character. She's kinda like JB 5th on steroids with a wilder main shot. With JB I have a predictable rhythm of point-blanking and firing my secondary to get the x16s, but with Alice I find myself firing off the secondary in advance to align my main shot, then trying to squeeze off another secondary shot before the big enemy dies. It's tricky.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

CloudyMusic: right, the LOAD直後 option appears only in the pause menu, not as an explicit button mapping option. Rather, it is implicitly mapped to the quick restart button after you load a state (and then also appears in the pause menu). However, maybe you could still manage to trigger some small glitch while this is the case due to overwriting states or something else, though I haven't further fiddled with it.
Jonpachi wrote:I have forgotten how the energy recharge mechanic works. Every now and again my character will say something, and there's a "gong" sort of sound, and then the "E" canisters appear for a bit, but it seems random. How does this trigger?
viewtopic.php?p=31491#p31491

:)
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Jonpachi wrote:Thanks for the help!

- I have forgotten how the energy recharge mechanic works. Every now and again my character will say something, and there's a "gong" sort of sound, and then the "E" canisters appear for a bit, but it seems random. How does this trigger?

Once you've used the energy barrier, you drain the item (orange blocks) counter. When you get it back up to 200, the energy refill items will drop for ya. It will only happen IF you've actually used the barrier and have a space to refill.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

ATTRACTS wrote:

Once you've used the energy barrier, you drain the item (orange blocks) counter. When you get it back up to 200, the energy refill items will drop for ya. It will only happen IF you've actually used the barrier and have a space to refill.
It will go to 300 the second time, then 400 and so on.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Buffi wrote:
ATTRACTS wrote:

It will go to 300 the second time, then 400 and so on.
YES, thanks. I didn't realize that. :)
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:is it Cave's "laggiest" game?
I can double check, but ESP Ra De runs on a derivative of the original DonPachi engine, and a lot of the code is shared. I would be surprised if a new buffering scheme was introduced for this game. The original hardware doesn't impose anything more than the standard 2f delay from a framebuffer and double-buffered sprite list, and I've never felt ESP Ra De to have any mentionworty input latency Are you basing this judgement on the arcade PCB, MAME, or M2's release?
Special World

Post by Special World »

Really incredibly surprised by how much I'm loving this. I mean, it's Cave, so I shouldn't be, but I somehow got the impression that this was sort of a black sheep among Cave's games, or an experiment that didn't pan out.

But man, it just slaps. Love how the characters handle, love the different stage orders, love the destructible boss parts, love that the max multiplier is snazzy but not ridiculously high. Get strong Ketsui and Espgaluda (duh) vibes, and I appreciate how many of the enemies shoot aimed bullets rather than bullet curtains. I can't wrap my brain around Ketsui's patterns; here i feel like I have a chance (even when i don't.) And the flow of it feels kinda like upside-down Cave to me... start off with the power shot and clean up with the rapid. Nice. The aesthetic's not totally to my liking (it's kinda a weird goofy mix imo) but the flow of the level design and everything more than makes up for it.

And man, I know I know, M2 gods of ports etc, but man, this PORT. It's so good! It's like everything I want! Really didn't care much about the Arrange mode in Garegga, so I'm happy they just kind of took what was here, polished it, and then beefed it up with a bunch of other modes. The training challenges and Esper room really add some longevity onto the experience, and give you nice benchmarks to keep you training. I just wish there were more of a scoring challenge emphasis on the training missions. Like, not dying is enough to get you gold, and I wish it would also be like "well aim for this score now!" Kinda like how staff ghosts unlock in Mario Kart. But ah well. It's already kinda perfection. Not sure i'm in love with either soundtrack though?

I'm no psychic, but I bet Esp.rade will get a big bump in next years ratings.

Some things:
- Would really love it if there were a translation of the Esper room missions. Anyone wanna try? Or did I miss it?
- Is there any way to change the character i picked for Esper room? Can i unlock the others or switch or am I stuck?
- Anyone understand why changing my button inputs constantly defaults me to P2 and makes it so my inputs no longer work unless I quit the game completely? I wanna try playing on Gamecube controllers and it just won't let me because of this.
Last edited by Special World on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Special World wrote:- Is there any way to change the character i picked for Esper room? Can i unlock the others or switch or am I stuck?
You'll unlock the others as you gain EXP!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

03-01-2020 08:19 The delivery of the item was unsuccessful
what - the - fuck

:shock:

Dunno where this is going but PA + PostNL = never again
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Xyga wrote: Dunno where this is going but PA + PostNL = never again
That sucks. I've had that before where it either means they 'tried' to deliver it and you weren't at the door, or the postman straight up never came to your place. Hopefully that should mean it will be there within a day or so...
CloudyMusic wrote:
6t8k wrote: Maybe you have set your restart button behavior to load the last quicksave (refer to this), but you have no savestates or the chosen slot is empty? Or something? I can't reproduce that, but it would be my best guess.
FWIW, though I'm not an expert in all the mechanics of these ports or anything, but I don't think the "load" option is normally manually-selectable, but rather it appears after you've already loaded a quicksave. That's what it seems like to me in other M2 ports, at least.

That's all to say that I don't think that's what's happening for EmperorIng, but I don't have any better ideas, unfortunately.
I'm still not 100% sure how the Restart button works, because I did have them start working again to load my quick-saves, and then later my 'restart from the character select' screen. Since the "Restart" option on the option menu was blacked out for a while, I don't know how I got it active again. At least it works! But I'll have to do more to understand the option menu.

Playing a lot of Arcade Plus myself. I'm defaulting to my favorite character, JB 5th. I'm sporadically making it to either the st4 boss Pleiades or a little into 5.1. I've just recently cracked past the 6 million point barrier, so I feel some steady improvement and I can realistically expect to get that second score extend. Now I just have to figure out how to not die before the stage 4 boss. So, so, so many stupid fucking mistakes. I tried to be cool but I quickly defaulted to switching my hitbox on. While it slightly mars the aesthetics, it makes dodging the dense patterns much more manageable.

I don't know what determines whether or not I have a timer for a multiplier. Sometimes I shoot enemies with my splatter shot, and when they die a timer starts. Sometimes I do, and there's no multiplier.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Xyga wrote:
03-01-2020 08:19 The delivery of the item was unsuccessful
what - the - fuck

:shock:

Dunno where this is going but PA + PostNL = never again
Ah shit, sorry dude. Mine has apparently left the Netherlands and now appears on the Royal Mail tracking site, but does not yet appear to be in the country.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I think that with my luck, this is when the usual postwoman is on vacation and a temp is in charge, which knowing our national post service, is typically a disaster. :/

EDIT: "there was an error with your delivery we're trying to fix asap" no explanation.
Caught the temp postman he said he hasn't seen anything. Fishy...
Last edited by Xyga on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

EmperorIng wrote:
Xyga wrote: Dunno where this is going but PA + PostNL = never again
That sucks. I've had that before where it either means they 'tried' to deliver it and you weren't at the door, or the postman straight up never came to your place. Hopefully that should mean it will be there within a day or so...
CloudyMusic wrote:
6t8k wrote: Maybe you have set your restart button behavior to load the last quicksave (refer to this), but you have no savestates or the chosen slot is empty? Or something? I can't reproduce that, but it would be my best guess.

I'm still not 100% sure how the Restart button works, because I did have them start working again to load my quick-saves, and then later my 'restart from the character select' screen. Since the "Restart" option on the option menu was blacked out for a while, I don't know how I got it active again. At least it works! But I'll have to do more to understand the option menu.

Playing a lot of Arcade Plus myself. I'm defaulting to my favorite character, JB 5th. I'm sporadically making it to either the st4 boss Pleiades or a little into 5.1. I've just recently cracked past the 6 million point barrier, so I feel some steady improvement and I can realistically expect to get that second score extend. Now I just have to figure out how to not die before the stage 4 boss. So, so, so many stupid fucking mistakes. I tried to be cool but I quickly defaulted to switching my hitbox on. While it slightly mars the aesthetics, it makes dodging the dense patterns much more manageable.

I don't know what determines whether or not I have a timer for a multiplier. Sometimes I shoot enemies with my splatter shot, and when they die a timer starts. Sometimes I do, and there's no multiplier.
Multiplier is dependent on how full your gauge is when you shoot your power shot and the size of enemies. Pepper bigs with normal shots, pin them with the power/bubble shot at full strength, finish them off with your normal then kill smaller enemies around the area. If your power gauge was refilled to the max, you should see 16’s. If your gauge didn’t have a chance to reload all the way, you’ll see smaller numbers reflecting where the gauge was when you fired. If you watch superplays on YouTube, you can see players using this pinning technique. There’s more fine details about how the system adds an additional 1 or 2 but I’m not 100% clear on it.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Wait, where's the option for hitboxes? Is it obvious and I just haven't looked?

And I assume the characters autounlock in Esper Room if I keep playing? There's no ticket or anything i need to buy?

Also, i'm just gonna assume Arcade Osari is a replay viewer unless somebody tells me otherwise.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

mikejmoffitt wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:is it Cave's "laggiest" game?
I can double check, but ESP Ra De runs on a derivative of the original DonPachi engine, and a lot of the code is shared. I would be surprised if a new buffering scheme was introduced for this game. The original hardware doesn't impose anything more than the standard 2f delay from a framebuffer and double-buffered sprite list, and I've never felt ESP Ra De to have any mentionworty input latency Are you basing this judgement on the arcade PCB, MAME, or M2's release?
Mame, but in fact comparing it with Donpachi and DDP running with the same Mame configuration.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

[quote="Bassa-Bassa"][quote="mikejmoffitt"][quote="Bassa-Bassa"][b]is it Cave's "laggiest" game?[/b][/quote]

I can double check, but ESP Ra De runs on a derivative of the original DonPachi engine, and a lot of the code is shared. I would be surprised if a new buffering scheme was introduced for this game. The original hardware doesn't impose anything more than the standard 2f delay from a framebuffer and double-buffered sprite list, and I've never felt ESP Ra De to have any mentionworty input latency Are you basing this judgement on the arcade PCB, MAME, or M2's release?[/quote]

Mame, but in fact comparing it with Donpachi and DDP running with the same Mame configuration.[/quote]

FBN recent builds have 2 frames of input lag for Esprade. Previously there were 4.
Mame, uo to 2016 had 3.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

So do the English trophies mean this has a chance of a localization? Would love the Switch release for portability...
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Zeether wrote:So do the English trophies mean this has a chance of a localization? Would love the Switch release for portability...
How important is localization in a shmup where all of the menus have been translated here for you? I don’t say that to be snarky, I’m genuinely curious if there’s something I’m missing.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

ATTRACTS wrote:
Zeether wrote:So do the English trophies mean this has a chance of a localization? Would love the Switch release for portability...
How important is localization in a shmup where all of the menus have been translated here for you? I don’t say that to be snarky, I’m genuinely curious if there’s something I’m missing.
Because it'd be cheaper than buying JP eShop/PSN cards?

I'm just frustrated that there's radio silence from M2 on western releases of these excellent ports because either Dangun and Garegga bombed here due to people being complete fools about the cost not being worth it or they just hate the west for some reason. It doesn't bode well for the Toaplan stuff either.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed