shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:45 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Would rail shooters be considered shoot-em-ups?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 am 

there's also this thread from a couple of years ago that asked the same question:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48707

I've tried to answer it there, in short: not really.

OT regarding Run & Guns like Metal Slug: player-controlled scrolling and gravity-affected player sprite make for a different gameplay compared to STGs.

OT regarding "crosshair shooters" (Cabal-likes): the crosshair can be controlled independently from a still-standing player sprite compared to rail shooters. G.I. Joe is a rail shooter, but with gravity-affected player sprite. Sin & Punishment is a twin stick rail shooter, also with gravity-affected avatar.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:42 pm 

The Coop wrote:
namcokid47 wrote:
I've never seen really any topics about rail shooters on here (besides this one), which I found pretty odd. This also ties in to the reason I even made this topic as I wanted to know if this community even counts rail shooters as shoot-em-ups, which would explain why I haven't found many topics about rail shooters.

I made a thread about 3D shooters/shmups years ago, arguing in favor of their inclusion into the world of shmups for the old Top 25 lists and whatnot. I'd only been on the site for three years at the time, so I was butting heads with what other more long-time members on this forum had decided on; that Galaxy Force II and its ilk weren't shmups because of their use of the Z-axis. The main argument that I saw a lot was that only the X and Y axis could be used in a "true" shmup. Anything beyond that bumped that game out of contention. I think rail shooters fall into the same area for some, as they too use the Z-axis. I'm sure other arguments would be made against them, but the Z-axis usage would be one of the main sticking points for some.

Edit: Found my old thread :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25657

I have to be honest, some of those replies completely baffle me. Why would Zaxxon not be considered a shoot-em-up but Viewpoint is, despite them having practically identical viewpoints in the game?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:53 pm 

namcokid47 wrote:
I have to be honest, some of those replies completely baffle me. Why would Zaxxon not be considered a shoot-em-up but Viewpoint is, despite them having practically identical viewpoints in the game?

No idea. I've always considered Zaxxon a shmup. Same with the other isometric shooters that Sega made early on. Viewpoint just takes that idea and makes it more modern. The biggest difference is that you have both X and Y axis movement, so maybe that's the thing that differentiates it - it's not strictly 2D in that sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:29 pm 

I have recently stumbled upon a video that delves deep onto "Rail shooting" and it is a very distinct kind of sub-genre that heavily involves 2 axis of movement along with wider open space compared to horizontal and vertical with more compressed space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jI2HNDd20

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:56 am 

FRO wrote:
The biggest difference is that you have both X and Y axis movement, so maybe that's the thing that differentiates it - it's not strictly 2D in that sense.

That's how I see it. Zaxxon is basically Space Harrier presented from another point of view, while Viewpoint is a regular vertically scrolling shmup presented from another point of view. While the perspective is shared by both games, the actual gameplay is not.

(If you are less strict and consider Space Harrier type games shmups then, of course, Zaxxon is one, too.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:42 pm 

MrJBRPG wrote:
I have recently stumbled upon a video that delves deep onto "Rail shooting" and it is a very distinct kind of sub-genre that heavily involves 2 axis of movement along with wider open space compared to horizontal and vertical with more compressed space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jI2HNDd20

A shame that he seemed to just completely give up on that project, but nice to learn of Galactic Storm, Solar Assault, and Aces of the Galaxies' existence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:18 am 

As for rail shooters, I think that the one that gets closer to a Shoot-em-up is Sin and Punishment (both N64 and Wii versions). But even with this, I don't consider them shmups entirely (even though they're great games as well).

Offline Profile