Shienryu distorted sound?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
shmupsrocks

Shienryu distorted sound?

Post by shmupsrocks »

Does Shienryu on ST-V sound like it has distorted sound to anyone else? Especially low frequency sound like explosions seems to distort quite noticeably. This doesn't happen on my other 2 ST-V carts. Trying to figure out if my cart has an issue.
trap15

Re: Shienryu distorted sound?

Post by trap15 »

Yeah, that's just how it is, I recall. Pretty bizarre sound design choice, it really does sound like there's something wrong.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Thanks trap15. Can anyone confirm?
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Especially noticeable on headphones. Anybody played Shienryu on headphones and think it sounds fine?
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

I can confirm, my cart does the same thing. Really noticeable on the explosions, especially in one of the runs in attract mode where the explosion sound lingers into the menu.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

There must be a fix. I tried playing with the voltage up and down today but no change.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

There isn't, the game's just made that way. If you want to fix it you need to do a romhack.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

The Saturn port also has the fucked audio. I always though it was a bit weird. Interesting to hear that the original STV ver is the same.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Yeah the Saturn port looked pretty close from the time I spent with it. For example I can get the exact same graphical glitches to appear after the Stage 1 boss on both the STV cart and on Saturn.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

When i first got my cart i complained to the seller and he told me that the cart had "perfect sound" when he shipped it. My complaints were exactly about explosion sound effects.

I've checked gameplay vídeos on youtube, and they sounded different than mine. I'm kind of relieved that the "problem" is general. But very strange none the less.

Such a shame since some levels have great sound tracks. One of the stages (stage 3 if not mistaken) has one of the best in shooting games.

PS- Even with stereo cable
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I'm embarrassed but I didn't realize there is a volume control on the PCB. I turned it down and turned my headphones up and now Shienryu sounds perfect, explosions and everything else. I'm getting nice deep bass.
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

shmupsrocks wrote:I'm embarrassed but I didn't realize there is a volume control on the PCB. I turned it down and turned my headphones up and now Shienryu sounds perfect, explosions and everything else. I'm getting nice deep bass.
When i last fired it up i tried that but still not happy with the result.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For shmupsrocks,

When dealing with a new found hobby such as arcade pcbs, just trying to find the volume pot and/or dip switches (if you're new to the arcade pcb hobby), it is certainly a new and learning experience indeed. Some arcade pcbs have two adjustable volume pots (i.e. -- the classic Konami arcade jamma pcb of A-Jax/Typhoon comes to mind with it's on-board stereo sound output or even Konami's classic 1983 Gyruss pcb with stereo sound output as well).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Each volume pot controls one audio channel on those?