Sengoku Cannon: Sengoku Ace Episode III (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Sengoku Cannon: Sengoku Ace Episode III (Switch)

Post by Tokyo-J »

Zerodiv is releasing Sengoku Cannon: Sengoku Ace Episode III on Switch October 18th. This is a port of the PSP version released back in 2005

https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000003626
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
KAI

Re: Sengoku Cannon: Sengoku Ace Episode III (Switch)

Post by KAI »

why the fucking why?!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

KAI wrote:why the fucking why?!
Damnit! You stole my response!
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

I think it's fine just for completion's sake, since the first two games are already on Switch. But yeah, I've heard nothing good about this game. The PSP got some weird shmup sequels, including a middling Cho Aniki game.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Knightmare wrote:I think it's fine just for completion's sake, since the first two games are already on Switch. But yeah, I've heard nothing good about this game. The PSP got some weird shmup sequels, including a middling Cho Aniki game.
Now they need to complete the Strikers series and bring out Part III / 1999!
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I hope this isn't another minus release. Then again, this game didn't sound too hot to begin with.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Tokyo-J wrote:Now they need to complete the Strikers series and bring out Part III / 1999!
It was already mentioned earlier that they planned to release it... no confirmed date yet though. It's becoming pretty clear that ZeroDiv are just milking the ever-living hell out of Psikyo's legacy. I never thought I'd see Taisen Gimmick Mahjong released on anything and yet we now have a Switch port.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Still waiting for home ports of some Psikyo games. Zero Gunner 1, Space Bomber, etc.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jeneki wrote:Still waiting for home ports of some Psikyo games. Zero Gunner 1, Space Bomber, etc.
Not sure how Zerodiv will handle another polygonal game (ZG1). The last one got a minus version with the second loop missing. Definitely interested in Space Bomber, though.

Weren't there a couple Taisen Hot Gimmick games on PS2?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Sorry guys, what is a "minus version"..? Is this an official thing, or just a reference to something that dropped content?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

bigbadboaz wrote:Sorry guys, what is a "minus version"..? Is this an official thing, or just a reference to something that dropped content?
It's a reference in regards to how ZeroDiv treated the port of Zero Gunner 2. They stated early on that due to a lack of having the original source code to work from, they recoded the Switch port from scratch but realized that there was missing or incorrect content... so instead of delaying the release to fix the issues they just added a "-" (minus) to the title (the game on Switch is actually titled: Zero Gunner 2-). Instead of simply dropping the contents of the DC GD-ROM disc or the NAOMI cart in an emulator and calling it a day (like they've done with the 2D games), they chose the more complicated and awkward route.

The game has been updated twice and it still has no second loop (like the original). The bullet patterns differ greatly from the original, scoring is inflated, enemies always release a set amount of green gems, the helicopters' main shots are laughably over-powered, there are distorted/missing textures and missing geometry. Essentially, it's a playable beta build that they released as a product.

BrianC wrote:Weren't there a couple Taisen Hot Gimmick games on PS2?
After checking, yeah, looks like two of the games received PS2 ports (I was aware of the Capcom cross-over DC game though).
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

I plan on buying this even though I have on PSP. Will be cool to have a complete trilogy on Switch.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Disappointed as this is the first game not to be simultaneously in the United States. Hoping it gets a stateside port soon.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Tokyo-J wrote:Disappointed as this is the first game not to be simultaneously in the United States. Hoping it gets a stateside port soon.
Taisen Hot Gimmick didn't have a simultaneous release either, though that's not a shmup.
Logge1002

Post by Logge1002 »

Brought the game on the Japanese eshop. Only in Japanese even the menus are completely untranslated and they don’t have a lot of options. The game runs fine at least that’s something. The quality of the game itself is debatable xD. Love the artwork on that sado maso chick xD the Game itself is also not translated figures. Hope when it gets a stateside release the Japanese version gets English texts as well.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Physical version is out on the VOL. 3 at Play-Asia

https://www.play-asia.com/psikyo-collec ... /13/70cdrt