ShmupArch Coming to Nintendo Switch, Don t Update to 6.2!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Mark_MSX

ShmupArch Coming to Nintendo Switch, Don t Update to 6.2!

Post by Mark_MSX »

Hi Everyone!

So good news for the Switch owners out there. The time has finally come where it is possible to have a relatively fully functioning version of ShmupArch on the Nintendo Switch. I am working toward trying to get it all put together by the end of this week or so. Just a heads up, in order for ShmupArch to run on a Switch, you will need to exploit your switch with custom firmware. I am going to put together a guide to make this process as streamlined as possible, but for those who are weary about this sort of thing, I just wanted to let you know.

Now some quick disclaimers about how ShmupArch functions on the Switch. The first thing is that, since the Switch doesn't have an extremely strong CPU, it is limited to being able to run 1 frame of Run-Ahead. This means that, unfortunately, no shmups that I have tested were able to achieve 1 frame of input lag on the Switch. As compared to the PC version, where one frame of input lag is possible with all compatible shmups. On the bright side though, all of the early CAVE shmups are able to run with just 2 frames of input lag, which isn't shabby at all (basically the same amount of lag as shmupmame). Also, again due to the weak CPU, certain shmups, such as Strikers 1945 II, cannot run at full speed. Overall though, I would say that most shmups that run on the PC version also run at full speed no problem on the Switch version.

In general, I view and use my Switch as a handheld, which is why this is very exciting for me personally. For those who don't have an interest in the Switch's handheld use, and also own a moderately powerful PC, I would say stick with the PC version as it is superior. However, for those who do not have a gaming PC, or like to use the Switch as a handheld, this release should open up a ton of awesome opportunities. It's a really surreal feeling to be sitting at a park playing Ketsui on your switch.

As you all know, the Switch left joycon is really lame and does not have a normal d-pad. Playing with the standard joycon in handheld mode is a joke. The analog stick is ok, but it is not going to cut it in the long run. That is why, when you do get ShmupArch loaded on your switch, I recommend buying this joycon from Hori.

The D-pad is excellent and very similar to the one on the fighting commander 4. Apparently Target now carries this joycon in a Legend of Zelda edition, but I believe it is the same as the blue one, functionally. Anyway, I will keep you all posted on how things are going. Sadly I am not able to carry over the config from the PC version (because of all the changes that need to be made) so it's going to be at least a week before this is ready.

Cheers!
Last edited by Mark_MSX on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrmccormo

Re: ShmupArch Coming to Nintendo Switch

Post by mrmccormo »

I can attest: it runs much better than I expected.
FRO

Post by FRO »

One thing to keep in mind - Hori's Joy Con doesn't have Bluetooth, so it has to be attached to the Switch, which means no FlipGrip or tate.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

FRO wrote:One thing to keep in mind - Hori's Joy Con doesn't have Bluetooth, so it has to be attached to the Switch, which means no FlipGrip or tate.

Yes, you are correct.. When the flip grip comes out, I 'll see if there is a workaround, but no guarantees.
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

You said that only one frame of runahead meant that no shmup will have only 1 frame of input lag, but I just tested Salamander on pc with only 1 frame of runahead using pause and frame advance, and no matter which direction I input when paused, the ship moved in that direction with a single frame advance. In fact, if I remember correctly, the same thing was true of Metal Black, Blazing Lazers, Musha Aleste, and Gradius III Snes. Am I missing something with this test that makes these findings wrong? Or do these games just respond faster than Cave games on retroarch?

On a slightly off topic note, have you found a workaround for faster autofire on Retroarch either for pc or switch (doesn't matter which one to me and I know pc has more tools)? The built in Autofire appears to be much much slower than the 30hz autofire option in shmupmame, and It doesn't seem to read every click if I set joy2key to such a fast autofire.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

WarpedByTheNHK wrote:You said that only one frame of runahead meant that no shmup will have only 1 frame of input lag, but I just tested Salamander on pc with only 1 frame of runahead using pause and frame advance, and no matter which direction I input when paused, the ship moved in that direction with a single frame advance. In fact, if I remember correctly, the same thing was true of Metal Black, Blazing Lazers, Musha Aleste, and Gradius III Snes. Am I missing something with this test that makes these findings wrong? Or do these games just respond faster than Cave games on retroarch?

On a slightly off topic note, have you found a workaround for faster autofire on Retroarch either for pc or switch (doesn't matter which one to me and I know pc has more tools)? The built in Autofire appears to be much much slower than the 30hz autofire option in shmupmame, and It doesn't seem to read every click if I set joy2key to such a fast autofire.

Hi there,

Thanks for the response! So for a little clarification, currently all compatible shmups in ShmupArch are able to get down to only 1-frame of input lag on the PC version (which is awesome!). I'll edit my post above to make that distinction clearer. However, of all the titles I have tested on the Switch version, due to the Switch only being able to support a frame of run ahead, the lowest input lag I found was 2 frames with the early Cave games. However, at this point, I have not tested the games you have mentioned on the Switch version, so maybe it is possible. I'll check when I get home this evening.

In terms of the autofire, I have good news there. I do believe there is a setting in ShmupArch to increase the rate of the turbo fire to pretty crazy high speeds. When I get home tonight I'll put together a quick video on how to do this.

Cheers!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For Mark_MSX,

Can you give us a detailed step-by-step instructions on how to d/l ShmupArch to the Switch? And what version of custom firmware is needed to run it on the Switch. My Switch is running official fw 6.0.1 as of right now.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:For Mark_MSX,

Can you give us a detailed step-by-step instructions on how to d/l ShmupArch to the Switch? And what version of custom firmware is needed to run it on the Switch. My Switch is running official fw 6.0.1 as of right now.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Yes, absolutely! When I release shmuparch for Switch, I will definitely include a detailed guide on how to install it. I actually haven't tried it on 6.0.1, so I need to double check that it works on that firmware (it should). I'll be sure to let you know when the guide is finished.
mrmccormo

Post by mrmccormo »

Posted here since it most closely affects shmuparch and other emulation options:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/63927/ni ... index.html

Switch firmware 6.2.0 reworks the system's boot sequence to nullify the Tegra X1 hardware exploit. Meaning, Switch owners who upgrade will have to find another option or hope for a workaround in the future.

For the time being, turn off your wi-fi and don't update if you hope to continue using Switch homebrew to emulate your shmups.