Do you stick to a certain type of shmup?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Re: Do you stick to a certain type of shmup?

Post by Tokyo-J »

I stick to mostly Japanese Developers. Mid 90s's - 2012 Bullet hell. Psikyo, Takumi , Cave , Raizing , Alfa System , Treasure , G.Rev and Moss.

1995-2012 was about as good as we ever had it. With 2008 being the Peak.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Special World

Post by Special World »

Much as I love Cave, it's sad to see how many people play Cave games exclusively. STGs are a wide genre with a lot of hit or miss games (even among the bonafide classics), but you're definitely missing out on some killer games, new and old, if you're limiting yourself like that.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I haven't been playing STGs much lately, but when I do my choices typically involve bell juggling. I would say "cute games with a sadistic bent" but I bounced off Hacha Mecha Fighter so that can't be entirely true. More generally, I prefer games with simple scoring systems that don't revolve around precision timing or movement, and without fast or dense bullets that mandate unintuitive movement patterns that need to be "figured out."
Special World wrote:Much as I love Cave, it's sad to see how many people play Cave games exclusively. STGs are a wide genre with a lot of hit or miss games (even among the bonafide classics), but you're definitely missing out on some killer games, new and old, if you're limiting yourself like that.
I would agree because I don't like CAVE games all that much, but you could make the same argument about any answer here that isn't "all the shmups," or even for someone who plays all the shmups but not much else.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I was going to bring this up:
or even for someone who plays all the shmups but not much else.
Does anyone here besides me only play shmups? Most likely you're getting older.
Last edited by shmupsrocks on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

finally posted on here, nice to see discord regulars.

i do stick to the same style shooters with what i grew up with. From 80's-90's arcades to nes, snes, genesis.
I sorta lost track and missed the boat for the Saturn era. i'm catching up on those titles now and been collecting them for the past year.

So far i've been comfortable with r-type style, gradius, raiden, 1943, Zanac, Blazing Lazers. Earlier year picked up Super Aleste after some recommended it on discord.
I love twin cobra, sky shark, tiger heli.
boagman

Post by boagman »

I tend to stick with a more horizontal(ish) orientation, though obviously with my Viewpoint obsession, isometric can resonate with me as well. I'm especially given to enjoy games with a "force" that can attach to the ship in some way a la R-Type, or especially the way it was implemented in Last Resort. That era of games seems to be my main jam, though I do like some very exceptional games of different orientations (Ikaruga, Zero Gunner 2, Border Down, Radiant Silvergun, amongst others).

But yeah: vertical bullet hell shooters? Not for me, almost always.