Psikyo Collection Volume 2 Coming to Switch Nov 22

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CloudyMusic

Re: Psikyo Collection Volume 2 Coming to Switch Nov 22

Post by CloudyMusic »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I just started downloading some of the games off of the E-Shop. I've noticed some lag in Tengai. Anyone else noticing it? And before anyone says it's my TV, I'm playing Gradius Gaiden on it too, and it feels good. Seems like there's a little too much delay on Tengai. I haven't delved too deep into the other two I downloaded. Too bad they didn't go with the Saturn version, where you had the animated hair and voices.
I definitely did experience noticeable lag in all of the Switch Psikyo ports that I tried back when they were first released. I thought I had heard that they may have received patches since then, but I'm not sure.

That was when playing with a USB stick, though, which apparently has more lag than using the joycons.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Are these really that bad when Tate'ed image quality wise? Even when if you flip the resolution to 480p?
Last edited by Strider77 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

In my personal experience, some games are more responsive than others. Like you I noticed problems with the Switch Tengai. However, Samurai Ace and Gunbird didn't present any real problems to playing (I've been able to get pretty far- farther than I've ever in Gunbird, take that for what it's worth).

There is a quirk with Samurai Ace compared to MAME. It seems as if the enemies' vulnerability is a little bit delayed from the top of the screen in the Switch port. E.G. in MAME the river boss you can kill many of its lower parts before they even have a real chance to attack. However on the Switch they will not be able to be hit for a second or two, which usually lets them get off an attack or two. This seems to be the case across the board for spawning enemies from the top of the screen.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

That's unfortunate. I didn't notice much on Dragon Blaze, when I got it (or so I remember), so was surprised at Tengai. Too bad M2 don't do all these ports. They put a lot of importance on lag, as they should. In a shmup, it should be paramount.
Well, I always have a CRT in the same room with that TV, with a Phoebe modded Saturn, with Sengoku Blade ready to rock, if needed. Still. Not going to be of any benefit to newcomers or people who don't have access to the original hardware/software.
Neorebel

Post by Neorebel »

I wonder what is better the Psikyo PS2 collections or the switch ones...
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Don't know how or why people are getting laggy gameplay, but I play on a wired switch controller on a physical cart and notice zero lag or issues.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Gamer707b wrote:Don't know how or why people are getting laggy gameplay, but I play on a wired switch controller on a physical cart and notice zero lag or issues.
But what are you using as a frame of reference? Compared to playing on the PCB through a CRT the Psikyo switch ports are significantly laggy. You’re better off playing them on Shmupmame/RA or even better still Groovymame and a CRT if you want to go the emulation route. Also the lack of level select or practice mode is a huge oversight, it’s crazy. Even the Psikyo PCBs had a maintenance mode in the test menu to practice stages at any rank, same goes for Dragon Blaze on the PS2.

This is technically the worst way you could play these games, regardless if it’s semi-official. It’s just lazy.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Neorebel wrote:I wonder what is better the Psikyo PS2 collections or the switch ones...
I have the Dragon Blaze collection for the PS2 both JP and PAL for the PS2.

I did a comparison with the Switch version on my PC Monitor and I found the PS2 version was much clearer had more details.

Here is what I used and I know my method is flawed but whatever. :mrgreen:

PS2 hooked up to OSSC to HD Fury to CRT Monitor using scanlines. Scanlines completely stabilized the image to look like it was 240p. Image was great and clear with a good amount of details.

Switched hooked up to HD Fury to CRT Monitor. Image didn't look as clear for some reason and the colors were dull.

So the win goes to the PS2 :D
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On the USA region Nintendo Switch eShop site dated 12-17-2019 today, there's mention of the Psikyo Collection that has all six of the classic Psikyo STGs including Strikers 1999 (aka Strikers 1945 III in the USA) for a mere $39.99 USD -- it's slated for a January 2020 digital d/l release. It's a given that all the Psikyo STG titles (with the exception of Strikers 1999/Strikers 1999 III) have already been released on the USA region Switch eShop site.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:Don't know how or why people are getting laggy gameplay, but I play on a wired switch controller on a physical cart and notice zero lag or issues.
But what are you using as a frame of reference? Compared to playing on the PCB through a CRT the Psikyo switch ports are significantly laggy. You’re better off playing them on Shmupmame/RA or even better still Groovymame and a CRT if you want to go the emulation route. Also the lack of level select or practice mode is a huge oversight, it’s crazy. Even the Psikyo PCBs had a maintenance mode in the test menu to practice stages at any rank, same goes for Dragon Blaze on the PS2.

This is technically the worst way you could play these games, regardless if it’s semi-official. It’s just lazy.

I was just talking in terms of slow down and frame drops. Which I didn't notice any. You are a lot more knowledgeable about this subject admittingly on a more technical level. I am a gamer of the 80s and just love to play this style of game in any way I can. Especially if I can buy and support these games. Pcb's are not practical for me, so I am perfectly happy with these ports. Thanks for the input though.