Psikyo Collection Volume 2 Coming to Switch Nov 22

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ATTRACTS

Psikyo Collection Volume 2 Coming to Switch Nov 22

Post by ATTRACTS »

https://www.play-asia.com/psikyo-collec ... /13/70cbux

Gunbird 2
Dragon Blaze
Strikers 2
Tengai

Given how nice the first collection package was, I'll def. be supporting this too.
jochen

Re: Psikyo Collection Volume 2 Coming to Switch Nov 22

Post by jochen »

I hope for Volume 3:

Zero Gunner 2

Gunbarich

Cannon Spike

( Zero Gunner 1 ??? - unlikely )
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

Do these compilations come with any bonuses? I already have all the Psikyo games from the eShop but if there's a cool incentive I would double dip.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Fantastic lineup for a volume 2!
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

:shock: That's a stunning lineup. I don't think much of Tengai, but the other 3 are my absolute favourite Psikyo games.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Knightmare wrote:Do these compilations come with any bonuses? I already have all the Psikyo games from the eShop but if there's a cool incentive I would double dip.
My copy of Vol 1 came with additional printed covers of each game. Some really nice printed full box sized individual covers of Gunbird, Sol Divide, Strikers 1 and Samurai Aces. You could switch over the cover art for any of the 4 or just keep em for collectability. Thought it was a nice touch. Not sure if all retailers offer that or if it was a preorder bonus.

Here's an example of what they look like (I'm not home otherwise I'd show you mine). I got all 4 somehow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Switch-Psi ... 3052880473

AJ
FRO

Post by FRO »

Looking forward to Volume 2, especially because of Dragon Blaze! I just got the ship notification for Volume 1, so that should arrive soon :D
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

ATTRACTS wrote:
Knightmare wrote:Do these compilations come with any bonuses? I already have all the Psikyo games from the eShop but if there's a cool incentive I would double dip.
My copy of Vol 1 came with additional printed covers of each game. Some really nice printed full box sized individual covers of Gunbird, Sol Divide, Strikers 1 and Samurai Aces. You could switch over the cover art for any of the 4 or just keep em for collectability. Thought it was a nice touch. Not sure if all retailers offer that or if it was a preorder bonus.

Here's an example of what they look like (I'm not home otherwise I'd show you mine). I got all 4 somehow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Switch-Psi ... 3052880473

AJ
Hey, thanks a bunch! I appreciate it. That's pretty cool...might have to double dip. Especially given that volume 2 has pretty much my favorite Psikyo games. A physical copy would also aid me in my neverending quest to get my friends into shmups.
kevenz

Post by kevenz »

Yay more Mame roms on the switch..... after nintendo , sega and capcom.... why not psikyo.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

kevenz wrote:Yay more Mame roms on the switch..... after nintendo , sega and capcom.... why not psikyo.
Yay more crying about people having more accessibility to games that provide enjoyment. Yayyyy.
mrmccormo

Post by mrmccormo »

Retail copy of Dragon's Blaze 18 years after original release is kind of important. I'm seeing more folks get into the genre simply because the games are available and playable.

I've got this on order just like the first volume.

EDIT: it did come out on PS2, but that's besides the point. 13 years after the last retail release is still a big deal.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

jochen wrote:I hope for Volume 3:

Zero Gunner 2

Gunbarich

Cannon Spike

( Zero Gunner 1 ??? - unlikely )
They need to actually finish Zero Gunner 2- before they slap it on anything (it's still half a game).
kevenz

Post by kevenz »

ATTRACTS wrote:
kevenz wrote:Yay more Mame roms on the switch..... after nintendo , sega and capcom.... why not psikyo.
Yay more crying about people having more accessibility to games that provide enjoyment. Yayyyy.
Crying? Hehe not really... I don't care if people want to pay expensive price for games that have been free for 20 years on pc. It's technically illegal i know but i don't think you're going to go to jail for playing mame.

Nintendo is my favorite game company but they are always late to the party.... they just got Doom and Diablo 3.
poptart

Post by poptart »

ATTRACTS wrote:
How dare people expect quality in their chosen purchase. You are one dumb consumer.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Wait, are you lumping the Sega Ages, Arcade Archives, and Capcom (which are from various developers) collections together as if they ALL used MAME roms with no effort? M2 did the Sega Ages games, the first two of which are Genesis games, and they usually do an excellent job with emulation rather than just emulating a ROM and calling it a day. M2 usually includes extra features, as well. Capcom varies, but they handled a couple of the collections themselves and the MMX collection (SNES and PSX games) had involvement from M2. Arcade Archives are generally well done, as well. Not to mention that the Capcom and Arcade Archives (aside from Nintendo) aren't only on Switch.

As for Psikyo, Zero Gunner 2- is a port (a bad one, even with the updates) and some of the other games are based off the PS1 versions with the same missing frames.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

kevenz wrote:
ATTRACTS wrote:
Crying? Hehe not really... I don't care if people want to pay expensive price for games that have been free for 20 years on pc. It's technically illegal i know but i don't think you're going to go to jail for playing mame.
I mean, honestly you're a fool for paying for a PC. Should have just taken it off the shelf and walked out. Technically illegal, but I don't think you'd go to jail if you were sly about it.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Would you all say this is an overall better collection than Vol 1? I have Dragon Blaze already and it's great, but don't feel the need to double dip on it. I like Gunbird 2 but don't know how it compares to 1, and I haven't compared the Strikers games to each other. Tengai seems okay?
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

These are all the best Psikyo shooters so yeah it's worth it. Well Strikers 1999 is better than 1945 2 but still, great lineup.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

poptart wrote:
ATTRACTS wrote:
How dare people expect quality in their chosen purchase. You are one dumb consumer.
Scorching hot take edgelord!
Collection 1 had 4 excellent ports on one cart, this one also has 4. Let's see, 8 solid ports, ability to play anywhere I want, tate options even in handheld AND I'm supporting a genre I enjoy with hopes that supporting these will continue to make other shmups available in 2018. You got me! My bad that I choose not to lug around a supergun everywhere I go or my PC. Cry MORE.
Neo'nate

Post by Neo'nate »

Gunbird 2 is their best Shmup hands down.
marus

Post by marus »

Did the first collection have any kind of practice mode or other features? I like 75% of these games but if they're just straight ports with no extras then I'll probably pass on this.
UltimateTofu

Post by UltimateTofu »

marus wrote:Did the first collection have any kind of practice mode or other features? I like 75% of these games but if they're just straight ports with no extras then I'll probably pass on this.
I recently got my copy of volume 1. Unfortunately it does not come with any extra modes, just difficulty settings you can change.
marus

Post by marus »

That's a shame. It's not a bad deal for the price but I already have other ways to play these games. Thanks for the information though, I appreciate it!
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

UltimateTofu wrote:
marus wrote:Did the first collection have any kind of practice mode or other features? I like 75% of these games but if they're just straight ports with no extras then I'll probably pass on this.
I recently got my copy of volume 1. Unfortunately it does not come with any extra modes, just difficulty settings you can change.
All text English?
Mills

Post by Mills »

What titles were on volume 1?
FRO

Post by FRO »

Mills wrote:What titles were on volume 1?
Here's the Volume 1 thread, and the first post has the list.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62853
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

So how does Dragon Blaze look on the Switch screen in tate mode? Really tempted to get this, but I already have the PS2 version.

As I recall, the PS2 and DC versions of Gunbird 2 were different in some noteworthy respects, like the location of gem heads. Any idea which version we're getting?
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

Got my copy a few days ago.
This is good for playing in Yoko mode and for the extra easy settings, but playing this in TATE mode on a big TV screen is a torture for the eyes... The blurry upscaling process is absolute shit... :lol:
Adding the scanlines filter is a bit useless... Dragon Blaze and Gunbird 2 are okay, but I've been wondering if Strikers 1945II was not the PS1 version emulated with its blocky explosions.
My conclusion is it's still far away from the visual comfort offered by the arcade boards ;)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I just started downloading some of the games off of the E-Shop. I've noticed some lag in Tengai. Anyone else noticing it? And before anyone says it's my TV, I'm playing Gradius Gaiden on it too, and it feels good. Seems like there's a little too much delay on Tengai. I haven't delved too deep into the other two I downloaded. Too bad they didn't go with the Saturn version, where you had the animated hair and voices.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I just started downloading some of the games off of the E-Shop. I've noticed some lag in Tengai. Anyone else noticing it? And before anyone says it's my TV, I'm playing Gradius Gaiden on it too, and it feels good. Seems like there's a little too much delay on Tengai. I haven't delved too deep into the other two I downloaded. Too bad they didn't go with the Saturn version, where you had the animated hair and voices.

Hmmm. Didn't notice any lag in my copy in either of the 4 games, but I have the physical Korean volume 2.