Raiden 5 Steam version crashes on launch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
redapocalypse

Raiden 5 Steam version crashes on launch

Post by redapocalypse »

I bought Raiden 5 the day it went out on Steam, and it worked fine until my last playing in February. However when I tried to launch it several days ago, the game just shut itself down immediately, before anything showing on the screen. There's no error message pop-ups.
Then I found out that I can open the game only when using integrated graphic cards instead of Nvidia, but playing a full-3D game with that doesn't sound like a good idea.
The discussion board on Steam shows that I'm not alone, there are other people having the exact same problem, and it seems like it mainly happen with laptops with Intel/Nvidia dual cards. It's a pity that no solutions have been provided there so far.
I wonder if any of you have encountered the same situation, and more importantly, did any of you managed to overcome it? I'll be grateful for your help.
FRO

Re: Raiden 5 Steam version crashes on launch

Post by FRO »

This will probably sound like a dumb question, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it? Or try to right-click the icon and "Run as administrator" to see if that makes a difference.
redapocalypse

Post by redapocalypse »

FRO wrote:This will probably sound like a dumb question, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it? Or try to right-click the icon and "Run as administrator" to see if that makes a difference.
These were actually the first things I've tried, unfortunately they didn't do anything.
redapocalypse

Post by redapocalypse »

Well I somehow found the reason behind this. When the game is running with Nvidia, and when it's going to play one of the movies(UFO logo, opening movie, staff roll - the 3 .mp4 files which can all be found in Raiden V/rom/media_ex/movie), the game crashes. If I use some strange method to somehow prevent the movies from playing, the game can be played without issues.
So now I'm convinced that this is Nvidia's problem, not the game's. Not that I know how to deal with it.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

You may want to consider reverting to an earlier graphics driver, if possible. The past year has been extremely rocky time for Nvidia users as far as their driver quality goes. For some users, anyway. I haven't had any issues but I've only played a couple games.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

So I finally got around to Raiden V and am having the same problem. (with the GOG version, DON'T LOOK AT ME THAT WAY MATHU!!!)

Replacing the offending MP4s with random renamed ones on my PC doesn't do anything, and deleting them entirely just results in a white screen where the intro music loops endlessly. I doubt this four-time-only poster going to look back an answer this thread, but if anyone else has an idea how to disable these inconsequential vids without breaking the game, it'd be a big help.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Austin

Post by Austin »

Mortificator wrote:(with the GOG version, DON'T LOOK AT ME THAT WAY MATHU!
Sorry, but this garnered an actual real-world "laugh out loud" from me.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Mortificator wrote:So I finally got around to Raiden V and am having the same problem. (with the GOG version, DON'T LOOK AT ME THAT WAY MATHU!!!)

Replacing the offending MP4s with random renamed ones on my PC doesn't do anything, and deleting them entirely just results in a white screen where the intro music loops endlessly. I doubt this four-time-only poster going to look back an answer this thread, but if anyone else has an idea how to disable these inconsequential vids without breaking the game, it'd be a big help.
My last laptop had this problem, I solved it by forcing the program to run on integrated graphics rather than the NVIDIA card. The game is lightweight enough that it ran fine.

My current laptop is also NVIDIA but has never had crashing problems, so ???
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Austin wrote:
Mortificator wrote:(with the GOG version, DON'T LOOK AT ME THAT WAY MATHU!
Sorry, but this garnered an actual real-world "laugh out loud" from me.
Me too lol. I bet mathu's hairs got raised when he saw the thread too, until he read this :D
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com