ZeroRanger - Out Now! (PC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Stevens

Re: ZeroRanger - Out Now! (PC)

Post by Stevens »

Same ship. I grab back shot, charge, and drill.

Interesting about the side shot. Haven't used it that much so I didn't know it made the first loop easier. I take back shot and find myself having to be more aggressive, which is both good and bad up to this point. I'll probably stick with it though.

I get a fair amount of mileage from charge in loop one, but after reading the no time to charge thing I may start experimenting with homing shot. Which should be funny cause I usually abhor any type of lock on shot in any game.

I take the drill too although I don't know the difference. The shield that builds with your multiplier is a big help. And thanks to Rue's post I've had some minor success building the multiplier up to 12.8 with melee and then keeping it there with other weapons.

That said I have noticed:
Spoiler
So far the R-9 as been a minor thorn in my side. I tend to always lose a ship there. Even tried getting behind it and point blanking it but I still die once.

Also the heads in stage four - I use the charge shot followed by regular shot. I tried to melee them but those fuckers warp away if you get too close.
My lord, I have come for you.
Seyriuu

Post by Seyriuu »

I have just one complaint about this game:

Not heavy spoilers spoilers ahead (light spoilers if you're not past 2-3):
Spoiler
I didn´t know what to do to not trigger the wall of text after beating loop 2 and tried a lot of stuff, I EVEN TRIED TO BEAT ALL LOOP 2 WITH ONLY THE STARTING WEAPON (breaking every crystal) but the trains were almost impossible for me, I had to search online and I hate doing that =/
I also think that most boss fights gets kinda trivial with the type-b's charged shot, being able to charge again while the explosion is holding a lot of bullets in the boss face is kinda cheesy.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Seyriuu wrote:I have just one complaint about this game:

Not heavy spoilers spoilers ahead (light spoilers if you're not past 2-3):
Spoiler
I didn´t know what to do to not trigger the wall of text after beating loop 2 and tried a lot of stuff, I EVEN TRIED TO BEAT ALL LOOP 2 WITH ONLY THE STARTING WEAPON (breaking every crystal) but the trains were almost impossible for me, I had to search online and I hate doing that =/
I also think that most boss fights gets kinda trivial with the type-b's charged shot, being able to charge again while the explosion is holding a lot of bullets in the boss face is kinda cheesy.
Spoiler
don't creditfeed
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

No, you can start at stage 2-4 and still get to the TLB.

I'm still sputtering out of control at around 2-2 though. :?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Or maybe it's more a parody? :wink:
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

After making some progress in Loop 2, I can see how the need to not be agressive to keep the multiplier are not as relevant. I haven't seen Stage 2-3 yet though so I don't know if there is a big difference in this one, as it was the one where I felt that need the most, but in any case the raw survival challenge is enough to have fun with it.

I am also reaching the point where runs start to get long and I can't just play tons of them in a row, but what's great about ZeroRanger's pacing and generous resources is that even after half an hour it doesn't even feel that long because lots of stuff happened and you don't even have to endlessly reset after dying once in the first loop because you can still get lots of lives afterwards anyway. :D
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Here is an interview with the developers of System Erasure: https://shmup.eu/game-review/developer- ... eroranger/
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

waiwainl wrote:Here is an interview with the developers of System Erasure: https://shmup.eu/game-review/developer- ... eroranger/
It is interesting to see how much the artists ideas directly contributed to the level and boss design. Cool interview.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

I'm noticing certain bosses spitting out 1-up items that I haven't seen before.

Does anyone know the criteria for getting each 1-up item?
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Danbo wrote:I'm noticing certain bosses spitting out 1-up items that I haven't seen before.

Some of them give mercy 1-ups if you're low on lives.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

Zaarock wrote:
Danbo wrote:I'm noticing certain bosses spitting out 1-up items that I haven't seen before.

Thought that might have been the case, thanks.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Zaarock wrote:

What about spider tank? He seems to generate a 1 up when you blow up his legs first.
clippa

Post by clippa »

kane wrote:And how do you get that alternative midboss in 2-3?
You see the monster in the sea as you're flying about during the level, just a little round dark patch and you shoot that whenever you see it.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Just playing it, wow so different than the freeware version I played back in 2015.

Is it possible to get all the endings without 1CC? Also how to practice this game properly?
Glick

Post by Glick »

There seems to be some misunderstanding in this thread on how to get past 2-3. I can clear that up, it has nothing to do with credit feeding:
Spoiler
When you get to the boss (the one that looks like a human/cyborg with a shield) just slash him once with the sword. He'll wake up and kill the ship that normally kills him in the end, and you'll fight a new boss
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Game came out a month ago and I've got maybe 15 hours playtime.

Still haven't cleared the first loop (two credits - I'm close!), but digging the game as much as when I got it. Bouncing back and forth between both ships with back and charge shot. For melee I like the drill with type b and sword with type c.

Edit - 1 CC of loops one still eludes me just a bit, but with one continue I went all the way to 2-2. Beat my high score by 1-4 too.
copy-paster wrote:Also how to practice this game properly?
Sometimes I'll start from the beginning, other times I'll pick a stage and play it over and over a few times. Being able to select 1-5 or go to bosses would be helpful though.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

This game looks great! Has anyone tried running it on Windows 7 with the CRT_Emudrivers on a 15khz CRT? Unfortunately I don’t have a Windows PC that can connect to a regular LCD.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
x91

Post by x91 »

Got intrigued by various videos of this game so bought it through steam, sadly it doesn't recognize my custom stick... My Xbox One controller works flawlessly but I can't handle it in shmups...

Is there any way to get around this? Key-mapping may introduce some input delay so that's a no-go.
The newer version of Chinese Leaderboard is here! Check it out :>
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

It tunes out it works fine with the CRT_Emudrivers.

X91: I had this problem as well. You have to use ‘Big Picture Mode’ on steam and enable joystick, doing this sort of unofficially forces the stick to work even though the game itself still doesn’t see a stick. I am using a Brook universal Fighting PCB in 360 mode, btw.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
x91

Post by x91 »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:You have to use ‘Big Picture Mode’ on steam and enable joystick, doing this sort of unofficially forces the stick to work even though the game itself still doesn’t see a stick. I am using a Brook universal Fighting PCB in 360 mode, btw.
Thanks for the tip! :wink:
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

https://youtu.be/ZVeMtCo82cM

Bullet Heaven review for the game that has revolutionized shmup pc gaming.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Oooo..been waiting for this one. Thanks Plasmo.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

I was not interested in how "simple" the game looked from the initial video. It looked clean and crisp, but not interesting enough. I watched a bit of Serraxor's video and suddenly.. the game seemed *very* interesting, so I quit watching the video and now I'm off to finally get it. Very excited!
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Stevens your avatar deeply disturbs me. Is that a fairy taking a guillotine to a blob monster's erection?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

It is this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gynoug+ ... g-vwy_3MEM:

The picture is a BIL original.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

GotY 2018, and one of the best shmups ever made. ZeroRanger is a heckin' masterpiece.
MarioNintendo

Post by MarioNintendo »

I just finished downloading up, I'm absolutely blown away by the first bootup experience :D Thanks so much guys for pushing through. Fingers crossed for a multiplatform release... (linux! linux!)
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Gamepad update is now live for both Steam and itch.io with following improvements:
  • Gamepad button remapping supported
  • Both XInput and DirectInput gamepads supported
  • The typo that killed player 2 gamepad entirely is fixed - sorry about that!
  • Additional & optional settings: Analog/digital movement, slow button, 3rd weapon autofire
  • Bunch of bug/crash fixes
The game is also currently on Winter Sale for about $10 on both platforms. The sale lasts until January 3rd so don't sleep on it!

x91

Post by x91 »

Ebbo wrote:Gamepad update is now live for both Steam and itch.io
The update works like a charm! Enjoyed it without using the big picture mode gimmick. Thanks for your hard work!
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

Our annual T25 has gotten me excited for this game, so I bought it on Steam and I've tried to load it using Proton. For some reason it just won't launch though :( Not sure if anyone else has had this problem and found a way to fix it?