ZeroRanger - Out Now! (PC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
reckon luck

Re: ZeroRanger - Out Now! (PC)

Post by reckon luck »

I've credit fed my way to the TLB and, dudes, this may be one of the greatest shmups of all time. No exaggeration.

Do NOT sleep on this game. And do NOT read/watch any spoilers. ZeroRanger has some incredible surprises in store.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Amazing game!!!!
I'm stoked to play this on my PC and I hate to be that guy but you really should push to get this on some consoles. This deserves to be experienced by more people.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Great game, loved it until i saw the 4th stage...

jk this thing is incredibly good, congrats for the release.
Last edited by KAI on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

The game is now available from itch.io as well:
https://system-erasure.itch.io/zeroranger

Sorry it took a bit longer than expected, we had to address few rather annoying bugs that crept up after release. Also wow, thank you all for such a warm reception!

We don't currently have any concrete plans for console ports but we would certainly like to bring this game to as many people as possible - including Mac and Linux versions.
For now we're going to focus on future updates (such as remappable gamepad control options) for the game. So if you have any suggestions or feedback, please chime in.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Doudinou wrote:Can someone tell me the number of stages and how are they brocken down ?
Is there TLB, 2loop ?
It's for Shmup.com Ranking.
Thank you very much !
CStarFlare wrote:^ Also a list of ships would be greatly appreciated.
4 stages, 2 loops, 2 ships, don't know if there's a TLB but given reckon luck's post above I assume there is (though it doesn't sound like one with any special qualifications).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Doudinou

Post by Doudinou »

Thank you !
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Ebbo wrote:The game is now available from itch.io as well:
https://system-erasure.itch.io/zeroranger

Sorry it took a bit longer than expected, we had to address few rather annoying bugs that crept up after release. Also wow, thank you all for such a warm reception!

We don't currently have any concrete plans for console ports but we would certainly like to bring this game to as many people as possible - including Mac and Linux versions.
For now we're going to focus on future updates (such as remappable gamepad control options) for the game. So if you have any suggestions or feedback, please chime in.
Will definitely pick this up next pay check!

I assume if I buy it on itch.io, I'll get access to the mac files at a later date? (if the game is indeed ported to mac & linux)
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
demonsarepeopletoo

Post by demonsarepeopletoo »

Created an account just to say this.

ZeroRanger is possibly my favorite shmup of all time. That feels so weird to say, because I frickin' LOVE the R-Type series, Raiden, and a fair few other shmups. I've never been a high score climber, but ZeroRanger is kind of inspiring me to do so (hopefully someone does a superplay at some point).

I know this is a bit hyperbolic (after all, it is just a game), but man I was stunned at some points. After the disappointment that was Sine Mora, ZeroRanger just feels like a work of art. I heard it took 10 years, and at least to me that was worth it. Port to consoles if you can, man. I am ashamed to see only RockPaperShotgun to have reported on this.

*phew* That's all. Sorry if it was overemotional. :oops:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I for one enjoy the more 'action game' approach to the level design and some bosses. It has a great sense of pacing and dynamism. Terrain, hey, that can actually be fun. Someone wire the boys in Japan. I also enjoy the lenient continue/checkpoints system. It's all very well done.

I love some of the twists that came by before the end of the loop. Very surprising and made me smile the whole while. I already put two hours into this game and will be eagerly credit-feeding to see more and more. :mrgreen:
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Shepardus wrote:
CStarFlare wrote:^ Also a list of ships would be greatly appreciated.
4 stages, 2 loops, 2 ships, don't know if there's a TLB but given reckon luck's post above I assume there is (though it doesn't sound like one with any special qualifications).
For a scoreboard you might want to keep track of which weapons the player selected. They make a huge difference, more than the ship you chose. They're well balanced now so there's a good reason to use any of them. Results screen shows this info very well though
Doudinou

Post by Doudinou »

ZeroRanger is insane. :shock:
I am completely blown away.
It’s simply one of the greatest shmup i’ve ever played.

Thank you guys for your wonderfull work.
It’s a gift for us. Shmup fan base all over the World must buy ZeroRanger.
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

My pad doesn't seem to get recognized by the game. Is there any way to fix this? It used to work fine on FinalBoss Raw Label.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Leviathan wrote:I assume if I buy it on itch.io, I'll get access to the mac files at a later date? (if the game is indeed ported to mac & linux
Sure thing!
Feedbacker wrote:My pad doesn't seem to get recognized by the game. Is there any way to fix this? It used to work fine on FinalBoss Raw Label.
What pad are you using? Currently the game only supports standard XInput but you could try J2K for now until better gamepad support is added.
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

I'm using an official PS2 pad through a Mayflash adapter. I guess I should try to use my PS2 to X360 adapter instead (I haven't thought about it).
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

exa port when
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

I tried with my PS2 to X360 adapter and my pad gets recognized. The only issue is that I can't rebind any key. When I choose a button to rebind I can only cancel (with escape) but no button validates anything. At least I can play now - game's really cool btw.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Feedbacker wrote:I tried with my PS2 to X360 adapter and my pad gets recognized. The only issue is that I can't rebind any key.
As per the readme gamepads are not rebindable now (this will come later) so I guess this is normal.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Finally got to sit down proper with ZR. Made the 3rd stage boss - ate that giant laser.

Was playing with type c but I'm playing way better overall after switching to type b.

Grabbing back shot, charge shot, and the drill. Haven't grabbed the sword yet with b so I don't know if it is better than the drill.
My lord, I have come for you.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Bought the itch.io version, but when I unzip the file my antivirus tells me it detects a Trojan (Adzen.A!cl) and deletes the .exe file...has this happened to anyone else?
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

BulletMagnet wrote:Bought the itch.io version, but when I unzip the file my antivirus tells me it detects a Trojan (Adzen.A!cl) and deletes the .exe file...has this happened to anyone else?
Same issue on Win 7, I can keep it from deleting the file but still can't run the game.

Works on Win 10 running as Admin, but still gives a warning.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

BulletMagnet wrote:Bought the itch.io version, but when I unzip the file my antivirus tells me it detects a Trojan (Adzen.A!cl) and deletes the .exe file...has this happened to anyone else?
It may be useful to state which antivirus software you are using, so that the ZeroRanger devs can report it there as a false positive.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

WarpZone wrote:Same issue on Win 7, I can keep it from deleting the file but still can't run the game.
Sorry, this was my bad for not properly scanning the files before uploading them. I did system check, nuked some stuff from the orbit and recompiled the game just to be sure. The updated files should be live now so try downloading those and please report back if the problem persists. Sorry again about the hassle.
Iaspis

Post by Iaspis »

demonsarepeopletoo wrote:ZeroRanger is possibly my favorite shmup of all time.
I don't know about this, but it sure is one of the best PC (Steam or no Steam) shmups to date. I'm talking about Crimzon Clover quality here. Hey, could it be that Finland is the new Japan? :D
crazyrexz

Post by crazyrexz »

looks suitable on android, hope this getting android port :)
guigui

Post by guigui »

Come on Finland, one more effort and go for console port. Did you know Switch is the shmup console these years ?
People with no PC gaming abilities are starving to play this.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Wasn't this made with Game Maker? Unless consoles have progressed to the point where they can run executables like a PC, a port is impossible. It would be like expecting a PS4 or Switch to run an RPG Maker game natively.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Note, though, that GameMaker has gotten on with the times too. Years ago, even! PS4 export was a thing since GMS1 and Switch export was publicly released for GMS2 within just days.

ZeroRanger is currently on GMS1, but we're porting it to GMS2 during the oncoming months. We've heard the pleas to bring this over to consoles, and we'd love to! But we're currently having a breather in a crossroad of what to do next, so no announcements on that front for a while.
If watching the trailer of the game
makes you feel a certain way
I would be very happy if
you would give the game a try

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Wow, that's great! Things really have changed. (If not on the console side, then on the development tools side!)
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Gamemaker has had console support for a while now. Nuclear Throne, Hyper Light Drifter, Risk of Rain and many more are all GMS.