Query regarding Superplay DVDs

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ord

Query regarding Superplay DVDs

Post by Ord »

I have a couple of super play DVDs - "The Madness Battle Garrega" & "Gradius V The Perfect" as well as the ones that came with Espgaluda & DDP DOJ, and i find them to be quite good.
Now the question is - I'm thinking about getting both the Raiden Fighters and the Castle of Shikigami 2 DVD's. Does anyone else have them and if so are they of good quality and what kind of extras do they have.
Any help would be appreaciated.
Cheers.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I have the Shikigami No Shiro 2 Appreciate DVD set (it's actually 3 discs... which they manage to cram into a regular single DVD case).

Just like the Ikaruga Appreciate DVD, you get the option of watching each of the replays in either Yoko or Tate format (it's the first thing the disc prompts you to select).

The video quality is pretty good, regardless of which screen orientation you choose.

Since the players (there are 7 total, regular Fumiko is not used) each skip through the cinema scenes between levels, the third disc contains all of the cinemas for each character as individual movies.

The manual included with the set breaks down the scores per stage of each character and features an interview with all 7 of the players.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Everything about the Shikgami no Shiro 2 Appreciate DVD Kiken said, I agree on. My only gripe with the replays are that they seem a bit low on the brightness - and that's with my monitor cranked up to max - but other than that the replays are of excellent quality. I'm not sure if you can skip each stage on the the replays using the Next Chapter button, but the replays themselves are worth watching all the way for some incredible high-risk play. Just watch the Sayo 1 player (Yusemi-SWY I think it is) smash 7bil ;)

And about The Onslaught Raiden Fighters: You get seven different replays on one disc, all high quality playback (but no TATE, just like The Madness Battle Garegga). The Normal Mode replays are all high scoring replays done by each player, while RF2 and RFJ have a Special Mode replay (boss attack, non-high scoring) and an Expert Mode replay (second loop style, again not played for high score). You also get a Data Base of artwork for each game on the DVD.

The soundtracks are rereleases of the three RF OST discs, so if you already have them, then you're not getting any extra bonus tracks. Nice to have them in one pack though. If you are lucky to get the booklet, you'll get a bunch of Gamest articles in one location. And the Gamest articles are mini guides for each game, all in Japanese mind. I believe either player interviews or commentary for each game is also included in the booklet at the back (my Japanese isn't awesome by any stretch), as well as a small section on Raiden 3.

And if you're extra lucky, or preordered, you'll get the Raiden 3 replay DVD, which has the first three or four stages on disc! :D

Definitely worth the price of admission. Now I'd like to see INH Group do Great Mahou Daisakusen or Brave Blade next... *crosses fingers*
qatmix

Post by qatmix »

Where is a good cheap place to get these?
Ord

Post by Ord »

qatmix wrote:Where is a good cheap place to get these?
I'd like to know this too. The Raiden Fighters DVD sounds fab!
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

CocoEBiz are still offering the Raiden Fighers DVD set.
http://www.cocoebiz.com/catalog.php?id=319
Play-Asia currently have the Shikigami 2 DVD set in stock.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-28- ... 0-30j.html