Strikers 1945 Plus (Switch/PS4/XB1)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Strikers 1945 Plus (Switch/PS4/XB1)

Post by Tokyo-J »

Hamster is releasing Strikers 1945 Plus as part of the Neo Geo Arcade Archives for Nintendo Switch ,PS4 and Xbox One.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/24/ar ... ng-titles/
Last edited by Tokyo-J on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
lilmanjs

Re: Strikers 1945 Plus (Switch/PS4)

Post by lilmanjs »

Hopefully it doesn't remove the boss music like the PSP port.
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

Nice any one know if this is a straight neo geo port or one of the vertical versions?
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

The game is also coming to Xbox One, it should be mentioned in the thread title.
DialKnight wrote:Nice any one know if this is a straight neo geo port or one of the vertical versions?
The only version of the game that has the "Plus" added at the end is the Neo Geo version, so this will be a port of the vertizontal Neo Geo port, not an arcade port.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

lilmanjs wrote:Hopefully it doesn't remove the boss music like the PSP port.
Psp version is a different game. Except for the stages and ships design, it's very different from the original. It uses a different rendering engine as well.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:The game is also coming to Xbox One, it should be mentioned in the thread title.
DialKnight wrote:Nice any one know if this is a straight neo geo port or one of the vertical versions?
this will be a port of the vertizontal Neo Geo port, not an arcade port.

Will this really be a port, or just a rom with an emulator?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

It's emulated, as are all Arcade Archives releases, but they're usually pretty good quality.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I recall that a past issue of Tips 'N' Tricks covered the original Neo-Geo MVS version of Strikers 1945 Plus with some cool pointers on how to complete the game in it's entirety.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Glad to see Plus getting top billing for once. Plus is a truly great game, and kind of a middle finger to Video System. It's great.

Portable is kinda neat, especially since they brought in Arc System Works (!) to do it. It's still a little jank, though.

I'm just glad to see groups like Hamster, M2, CityConnection, SuperSweep, exA, and so on interacting with each other and trying to keep this stuff going.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

So far all of the ACA Neo-Geo releases have been straight MVS ports so I can't imagine this would be different.

If you want to get really picky, the emulator used seems to get rid of some sprite flicker. For example the stage 1 boss in Blazing Star: on MVS this thing is flickering like crazy and I can cause so many powerups to appear that boss bullets disappear, however this doesn't happen on the ACA release.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Jeneki

Re: Strikers 1945 Plus (Switch/PS4/XB1)

Post by Jeneki »

I picked this up on the Japanese PSN store today, it looks like it released Wednesday. A few thoughts on this:

1) There's a new company logo that I haven't seen on any other Hamster Arcade Arcives games: Zerodiv. Looking around the net, it looks like they are associated with a bunch of recent Psikyo releases on Switch. Is this the current rights holder?

2) You get 3 ships per credit even in North America region mode. I've always wondered why it defaulted to 2, and of course you can manually set it to that, so no complaints here. As with MVS you need to manually turn on the C button to get rapid fire, also no complaints.

3) *EDIT - THIS HAS NOW BEEN PATCHED AND FIXED* Let me start by saying I have around a dozen ACA Neo Geo releases on PS4. They all run fine with no issues outside extremely nitpicky stuff that I only notice because I am familiar with some of the games. And I have to say, the emulation on this release SUCKS. Simply shooting causes weird janky slowdown that's erratic and highly distracting, with boss battles being especially bad. I even double checked the MVS version since I have it in the same room and it definitely doesn't happen there. This is the first ACA Neo Geo release I've seen that suffers from notably bad emulation. (for those who are wondering, the reason I rebuy Neo Geo stuff on PS4 is because I use my consoles in convention game rooms)

Anyone else pick this up? Perhaps the emulation is better on Switch or XBox?
Last edited by Jeneki on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

^No, the slowdown is just as bad on the XB1.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Game suffers from the slowdown on the Switch too. Makes me wonder if Zerodiv handled it themselves and got permission to release it under the ACA Neogeo banner. A good chunk of ACA Neogeo and Arcade Archives releases were handled by Gotch Technology, which was established by former Rutubo Games staff.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I hope this is not the start of a trend, as I've found previous ACA/Arcade Archive releases to be pretty great.

They may be slightly overpriced, but it's nice to play games such as Contra, Metal Slug and Gradius on my PS4.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

There is no slowdown in Zerodiv own Psikyo releases. I was surprised to see their logo on this one, I guess they might own the rights actually and just given this one to Hamster because Hamster is doing the Neogeo ports. I really doubt they would have done itself and gave it to Hamster to release.

I saw the slowdown on video and immediately thought it has had to be like that in the original Neogeo MVS version too (as every other NeoGeo shmup), which I personally don't have any prior experience.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Leviathan wrote:I hope this is not the start of a trend, as I've found previous ACA/Arcade Archive releases to be pretty great.
Hopefully, it'll get fixed. Last few ACA/Arcade Archives I purchased other than this were fine. Vs. SMB had input lag when it was first released, but it was fixed. Some lag may be on the pro controller's side. It seemed to be more responsive after the controller update. AA Ninja-Kid II was also released on Thursday and that one plays just as well as it does on PS4.

I think Galaxy Fight may have had some issue when it was first released on PS4. It got mixed ratings in the store for some reason and an update followed soon after.

edit: I also tried out Strikers 1945 Plus via FBA. It definitely runs smoother, though the bullet patterns threw me off a bit compared to the normal Strikers 1945/Strikers 1945 II due to being redesigned for a horizontal screen.
Logge1002

Post by Logge1002 »

Bought it on the Japanese eshop on switch and he’ll i love this game but the slowdowns are insane and sometimes I get destroyed simply because the game gets all laggy and fucked up. I hope so much that they fix this ASAP.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

I haven't tested the game on switch myself, but i played the game extensively on many emu builds.

The (bad emulation) slowdown does not (obviously) exist in arcade or the more recent mame/fba builds. There is of course some slowdown (very little) in original PCB but only when the screen is full of bullets/sprites, mostly in later stages.

The bad emulation slowdown was present in some random emulator builds along the years (it came and gone and regressed and was gone again) and it was because of some issues with the sound driver that fixed some games and broke others, like this one.

The guys that constructed this release probably had no clue about this emulation issues and used a bad emu build.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Just got this on Switch and it's bad, it's really bad, that stuttering slowdown is just horrible and making it just unplayable. Haven't seen this bad quality on any Hamster or Zerodiv release this far on Switch, really strange and horrible quality control.

Really hoping they fix this fast.
Logge1002

Post by Logge1002 »

Did send them this link on twitter. I hope they read it and fix it. Love the game and hope we get a true version soon
Austin

Post by Austin »

I picked up the Xbox One version (played on a Xbox One X) and it's stuttering like crazy. Had to shut the game off after two stages. It's got to be something with their emulator if it's happening on multiple platforms like this. The other ACA Neo-Geo packages are excellent.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Austin wrote:I picked up the Xbox One version (played on a Xbox One X) and it's stuttering like crazy. Had to shut the game off after two stages. It's got to be something with their emulator if it's happening on multiple platforms like this. The other ACA Neo-Geo packages are excellent.
Not sure how this got past Quality control. Sounds terrible.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

One thing I noticed is that the game slows down in Retroarch FBA, but not standard FBA, despite them both being 02.97.43
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

BrianC wrote:One thing I noticed is that the game slows down in Retroarch FBA, but not standard FBA, despite them both being 02.97.43

Plays flawlessly for me in Retroarch with FBA core (.43). Last FBA version that had the regression was .38. Since then the game is fixed.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

el_rika wrote:
BrianC wrote:One thing I noticed is that the game slows down in Retroarch FBA, but not standard FBA, despite them both being 02.97.43

Plays flawlessly for me in Retroarch with FBA core (.43). Last FBA version that had the regression was .38. Since then the game is fixed.
It definitely didn't play flawlessly for me, but it did play fine for me in the Retroarch MAME core. I definitely noticed similar slowdown to the ACA Neogeo version on the Fightcade 2 and Retroarch versions of (.43), but not on the stand alone FBA (.43). Maybe it has something to do with a custom build or settings. It's possible it was "unfixed" in a custom build and fine in the main one.
Logge1002

Post by Logge1002 »

Ps4 Patch is live.

Switch and Xbox is coming soon. Finally they are fixing it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Patch is out for Switch. Strikers 1945 Plus runs great now!
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

It runs definitely better now (using Switch), but there is still some slight stuttering/slowdown in some parts, especially during bosses (even some early ones). I don't know if this was the case with the original NeoGeo game or not and if it wasn't, hopefully they will improve it even further to match the original experience.

It's definitely very playable now.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

el_rika wrote:
Psp version is a different game. Except for the stages and ships design, it's very different from the original. It uses a different rendering engine as well.
Regarding PSP: is it that different that it cannot be qualified as a port, but rather a remix of sorts? Do changes affect scoring? Also, are the changes for the worse or better?
X - P - B
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Turrican wrote:
el_rika wrote:
Regarding PSP: is it that different that it cannot be qualified as a port, but rather a remix of sorts? Do changes affect scoring? Also, are the changes for the worse or better?
Except fot the different (worse) graphics, there are numerous subtle or less subtle changes that make the game less smooth/dynamic and imo less enjoyable.
The hitbox is huge, charge shot charges twice as slow, enemy and boss patterns are altered with some bullets being faster or denser with no real logic behind it. They just changed stuff randomly without any thoght put into the design and flow of the game.