Omega Fighter rules

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
louisg

Omega Fighter rules

Post by louisg »

I logged onto shmups for the first time in ages just to say how much I'm digging Omega Fighter Special. I played it a little when shmups IRC did score challenges, but I'd never really invested much time into it. But last night I bought it on Switch, and stayed up until 1 am playing it. It has a real timeless quality to the game design. And the art is simple but stylish-- it seems like a good mix of pro art and programmer art.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty sure that developers from the year 2000 discovered a time machine, went back to the 80s, and developed this thing.

So far, my best is a measly 700k-- hoping to improve! :)

I'm also very pleased with how good of a job Hamster did porting or emulating it on Switch. By default, the pixels are crisp, there's no input lag that I noticed, and no jitter or ripples in the scrolling (I'm on a 720p display, if that helps). Even when zooming to fill the screen in vertical mode, it gets slightly blurred (naturally) but it still moves smooth as butter. It's quite the contrast to the Capcom Beat 'em Up pack I got, which seems to be laggy even in single player and a bit harsh on the eyes when blown up on a big LCD monitor.
Humans, think about what you have done
FRO

Re: Omega Fighter rules

Post by FRO »

I still need to buy this one for my Switch. I watched a livestream of it the other day, and yes, it's a pretty slick arcade title. I dig the music, though the laser shot sound grates pretty quickly. Still, I think it will be worth grabbing.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm holding out for the PS4 version just because that's where I've bought all the other ACA stuff, but UK releases seem to have dried up completely. Payday next Friday, will probably end up caving and picking up the Switch version. Actually, I'm pretty bummed that I bought any of the ACA stuff on PS4 now. Oh well. Can't wait to play this again, used to be a mainstay on local chippies and takeaways around here.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
louisg

Post by louisg »

Marc wrote:I'm holding out for the PS4 version just because that's where I've bought all the other ACA stuff, but UK releases seem to have dried up completely. Payday next Friday, will probably end up caving and picking up the Switch version. Actually, I'm pretty bummed that I bought any of the ACA stuff on PS4 now. Oh well. Can't wait to play this again, used to be a mainstay on local chippies and takeaways around here.
Whoa, I'm shocked that it was actually at arcades there. I'd never heard of it until shmups IRC. It's always really interesting when games catch on in one region but not another. Like every retrogamer in the UK seems to know Buggy Boy (Speed Buggy here) and RodLand, but in the US, I was the only person I knew who remembered Speed Buggy and RodLand was a new discovery for me. I guess that means there are plenty of Omega Fighter PCBs out there..?
Humans, think about what you have done
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Marc wrote:I'm holding out for the PS4 version just because that's where I've bought all the other ACA stuff, but UK releases seem to have dried up completely. Payday next Friday, will probably end up caving and picking up the Switch version. Actually, I'm pretty bummed that I bought any of the ACA stuff on PS4 now. Oh well. Can't wait to play this again, used to be a mainstay on local chippies and takeaways around here.
You can just buy it from the Japanese store and play it on your EU PSN account. It's the same price as the Western ACA releases, just buy a PSN card from SEA Gamer Mall, they have almost no markup.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Hell yeah! I'm looking forward to picking this up on my PS4,

...after I get an arcade stick that works with the ACA releases. (I wish Hamster would just man-up and enable legacy PS3 arcade sticks on these like M2 does with their shit.)
Marc

Post by Marc »

So regarding the port, could any of you please tell me the differences between:

Omega Fighter Original Version
Omega Fighter Special Original version (displays 'Special' on the title screen)
Omega Fighter Special Version Original Version (doesn't display 'Special' on the title screen)

I'm presuming Special is an upgraded version of Original, but not sure what Special Original is?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Omega Fighter Original Version: the arcade game "Omega Fighter"

Omega Fighter Special Original version (displays 'Special' on the title screen): the arcade game "Omega Fighter Special"

Omega Fighter Special Version Original Version (doesn't display 'Special' on the title screen): the arcade game "Omega Fighter", with a dip switch setting that makes things very easy.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jeneki wrote:Omega Fighter Original Version: the arcade game "Omega Fighter"

Omega Fighter Special Original version (displays 'Special' on the title screen): the arcade game "Omega Fighter Special"

Omega Fighter Special Version Original Version (doesn't display 'Special' on the title screen): the arcade game "Omega Fighter", with a dip switch setting that makes things very easy.
They should have just labeled the "Special Version" as a debug version to make things less confusing. At least it's explained in the manual.
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

Somehow I've never gotten around to playing this game until now. I've gotta say, I'm sorry I waited as it's good fun. I'm curious /confused though, which version is considered the best of the 3?

Omega Fighter
Omega Fighter Special (via dipswitch)
Omega Fighter Special (official with title screen indication)

I guess if you can state why it's the best would be helpful as well but not essential.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

seiatsu wrote:Somehow I've never gotten around to playing this game until now. I've gotta say, I'm sorry I waited as it's good fun. I'm curious /confused though, which version is considered the best of the 3?

Omega Fighter

I guess if you can state why it's the best would be helpful as well but not essential.
The real Special is the best of the three and the dipswitch "Special" shouldn't even have been labelled as a separate game since it's just a debug mode of the original Omega Fighter.
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

BrianC wrote:
seiatsu wrote:Somehow I've never gotten around to playing this game until now. I've gotta say, I'm sorry I waited as it's good fun. I'm curious /confused though, which version is considered the best of the 3?

Omega Fighter

The real Special is the best of the three and the dipswitch "Special" shouldn't even have been labelled as a separate game since it's just a debug mode of the original Omega Fighter.
That's what I was thinking too but wasn't sure since the majority of replays and gameplay videos I see seem to be original or dipswitch.