Devil Engine (PS4,Switch, PC) 2018- Hyakutarou music

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sinoc

Re: Devil Engine (PS4,Switch, PC) 2018- Hyakutarou music

Post by Sinoc »

2dvertical wrote:Updates on Ps4?
It's in a weird spot. The port's done, but Dangen wants to save it for later because Sony was stone-walling us so long that we might as well wait for a potential expanded version (I didn't even get my devkit until the switch port was 100% finished). If we were to drop that notion and start doing all the necessary paperwork right this very second, soonest it could come out would be June.
Last edited by Sinoc on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

Huh. Okay. Guess I'll forget about this and suddenly remember it in a 2020 PSN sale then.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Sinoc wrote:
It's in a weird spot. The port's done, but Dangen wants to save it for later because Sony was stone-walling us so long that we might as well wait for the expanded version (I didn't even get my devkit until the switch port was 100% finished). If we were to drop that notion and start doing all the necessary paperwork right this very second, soonest it could come out would be June.
I only have PS4 as an option, so I am waiting avidly for this to drop. Long time Thunder Force fan, so this is right up my street. I'll be up for buying the download, the (hopeful) physical version and the soundtrack when available, to support you guys.
What is this Expanded version you mentioned by the way?
Sinoc

Post by Sinoc »

Samildanach wrote: What is this Expanded version you mentioned by the way?
Right now nothing, just potential for one later. Probobly should edit that post to make it more clear.
Glick

Post by Glick »

To Far Away Times wrote:I can't tell if this game is mega hard or if I'm just terrible. I didn't even understand the beatdown I was receiving from the stage 1 boss. Bouncing bullets and dense fast patterns at the same time? Crazy stuff for a level 1 boss.
It is extremely hard. If you want to clear, get into the mindset of really heavy bomb use. The game rains bombs on you like candy. You can pretty safely unload 8-10 on the first boss to kill it before it gets too dangerous.
Makoto Sei

Post by Makoto Sei »

Can I say Devil Engine is "Thunder Force VII", because of this?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Beside, the first time I saw the "Homing/ Hunter" projectiles movement, I recognize it's pattern is very Thunder Force style.
i won`t die for anything or anyone
nothing can stop me from enjoying my life
my scrapbook http://makotosei.deviantart.com/gallery/#_browse/scraps + my unit http://makotosei.deviantart.com/gallery ... cal-things
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Devil Engine doesn't play as much like Thunder Force as it looks, especially not with the unlockable ship. It doesn't even play like Gate of Thunder or something like that.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
geremy

Post by geremy »

Switch patch today. Not sure what it fixes. Haven't tried pause/resume with laser.

The second ship plays like a completely different game.
jochen

Post by jochen »

Hope to see a physical release - already wrote a message to
limitedrungames. Maybe we are lucky.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Very much enjoying this in tandem with Rolling Gunner but I'm finding it extremely difficult, even on Easy Mode. That first boss with the debris kills me at least once every run. I can't figure out any strategy besides twitchy reaction, so that's a coin toss at my skill level. I also find the snake on Stage 3 very frustrating. The swirling laser shots in particular are brutal but I'm learning to pre-empt them because they're too fast for me to dodge on reaction. These pale alongside the Stage 4 boss with the teleporting stuff. I don't know what the hell I should be doing there but looking forward to getting stuck back in to give it another go. Tough game but the moment to moment is very satisfying and crunchy.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Stanshall wrote:Very much enjoying this in tandem with Rolling Gunner but I'm finding it extremely difficult, even on Easy Mode.
On release day, I hovered over the purchase button but I thought back to the demo and how I hadn't enjoyed playing it for a single minute.

Very euroshmuppy, and like you say, relies on quick reactions, but also has a lot of cheap tricks and death traps. Difficulty is not well balanced at all.

If you're having fun and feel like you're improving then by all means stick with it, but I wouldn't feel any shame putting this game on the back burner for now. I know your current skill level and you need a more encouraging lover than this heartless mistress.
guigui

Post by guigui »

^ I read here and there that the game got some re-balancing since the demo version. Still hard now, but maybe less discouraging.
Personnally waiting for a price drop.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

I saw in today's Nintendo direct the 4-player shmup "SwimSanity!".
Which made me wonder... was Devil Engine ever included in an actual Nintendo Direct?
Like one from today's format, with trailer reveals, voice over--the works?

I know DE trailers were released via Nintedo's actual youtube channel which is great, but I don't recall it being included in a proper Direct.
Maybe Sinoc could chime in? Thanks!
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
FRO

Post by FRO »

jochen wrote:Hope to see a physical release - already wrote a message to
limitedrungames. Maybe we are lucky.
I was hearing rumblings last night that 505 Games was looking at a physical Switch release. I can't corroborate this, so take it with plenty of salt right now, but as much buzz as this game has generated, that would be nice to have someone outside the "limited" space taking care of it.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Kinda surprised at some reactions here. The game is not easy but it's not cheap in the slightest. I say this as someone's who isn't that good at cave style shmups.
There's a bullet bounce button and missles which replenish the more u kill enemies.

For me, it reminds me of playing Thunder Force 3 as a kid and working my way in due time through all the stages.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Sooo, is this pretty much a dead deal for the ps4?
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Sinoc wrote:
It's in a weird spot. The port's done, but Dangen wants to save it for later because Sony was stone-walling us so long that we might as well wait for a potential expanded version (I didn't even get my devkit until the switch port was 100% finished). If we were to drop that notion and start doing all the necessary paperwork right this very second, soonest it could come out would be June.
Patience, friend.
If watching the trailer of the game
makes you feel a certain way
I would be very happy if
you would give the game a try

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

I got this, and it's great fun, smooth gameplay. Thumbs up from me :)
Didn't like the pixellation but reshade solved that.
What's the unlockable ship?
Sinoc

Post by Sinoc »

MommysBestGames wrote: I know DE trailers were released via Nintedo's actual youtube channel which is great, but I don't recall it being included in a proper Direct.
Maybe Sinoc could chime in? Thanks!
According to Dangen it was slated to be in one, but that was either a miscomunication or it got bumped off.
(Sorry for the delay on answering this, for some reason the topic stopped notifying me of responses)
tizerist wrote: What's the unlockable ship?
It's a secret, we can't go tellin everyone!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Any update on a gog port? It's been a few months so just checking it's still planned.

They're receiving a lot of flak recently for their curation.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Sinoc

Post by Sinoc »

Leviathan wrote:Any update on a gog port? It's been a few months so just checking it's still planned.

They're receiving a lot of flak recently for their curation.
No updates. They're like that to everyone (Unless your games came out pre 2000).
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

clippa wrote:Very euroshmuppy, and like you say, relies on quick reactions, but also has a lot of cheap tricks and death traps. Difficulty is not well balanced at all.
Wait a sec, what? There's like zero euroshmup in this game. People need to stop throwing that word around like it's no big deal. I'm not about to call Devil Engine perfectly balanced, basically no game is, but it's pretty well designed.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Anyone got a good balance on the sound settings ?
I think I like the default but I'm happy if anyone has a nice balance of sfx over the ost.

I am enjoying the game feel like I need a pro controller for the switch.

I have come across some hidden symbol items on play throughs .

Are they just bonus points ?

Also stage one boss is a bastard .

Any one got any tips on beating him no miss?
Arms installation complete Good luck
Sinoc

Post by Sinoc »

Using very conveniently timed bump to say we've got something to show at Bitsummit. Look forward later this week.
Axelay wrote: Also stage one boss is a bastard .
Get in close when he does the ground slams and don't be afraid to burst.

And the red icons are just bonus points, don't worry about them too much.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Sinoc wrote:Using very conveniently timed bump to say we've got something to show at Bitsummit. Look forward later this week.

I do hope at bitsummit would showcase an Exa Arcadia version of the game with exclusive features being teased.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I love the art style of this game, but it falls into what I term "memorize-em-ups" where progress requires strict screen positioning to survive, vs something like most Cave titles where I feel like I can free-form my way through the levels and find alternate solutions to tough patterns. It's not a BAD thing, but ultimately not my cup of space tea. I'm reminded quite often of Contra: Shattered Soldier while playing, where Konami took that series to almost R-Type levels of pixel-perfect positioning being required to progress and lost some of the run-n-gun feel in the process.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

It seems the expansion pack is the big surprise from bitsummit. It may also appear that all expansion content will be included in the Exa version as well with more exclusive features yet to be announced.

https://youtu.be/T7V4UBgELkA

Very little chance the exclusive feature would be 2 player due to differing powerup systems and Sinnoc is not planning for 2P co-op on record due to single-player design
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Sinoc wrote:Using very conveniently timed bump to say we've got something to show at Bitsummit. Look forward later this week.

Thank you so much for the reply .

I am so excited for the expansion .
I just want some loud juicy sounds when you use bombs with the red ship and i will be a happy camper.
Arms installation complete Good luck
Sinoc

Post by Sinoc »

Ha, looks like I was beaten to the punch on posting it first here

Offical trailer link here.

Here's the press blurb, to go along with the trailer
- 6 new stages, doubling the size of the game
- New arranged soundtrack by a variety of veteran composers, such as Shinji Hosoe (Street Fighter EX), Saitama Saisyu Heiki (Koihime Enbu) and Loser Kashiwagi (CHO REN SHA 68K)
- Fan favorite secret ship "Scathach" is now available from the start
- All new ship "Boudicca", exclusive to Ignition
- New unlockable shaders and features to customize your game
- A new announcer powered by Vocaloid technology
There'll be more footage, details and another nice surprise coming out of Bitsummit proper. Please wait warmly.
Sinoc

Post by Sinoc »

Surprise! The demo's been in the game the whole time!
You can play (mostly) the same demo that's at Bitsummit RIGHT NOW from home!