The Mount Rushmore of PS4 shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Which one is your personal favorite?

Astebreed
No votes
Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours
69%
Raiden V: Director's Cut
15%
Ikaruga
15%

Total votes: 13

xxx1993

The Mount Rushmore of PS4 shmups

Post by xxx1993 »

I think all four of these are great on their own. Astebreed is arguably not only Edelweiss's best shmup, but their best game in general. Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours is quite possibly the best Darius game ever made, combining almost every title in the series to create the biggest Darius game, Raiden V: Director's Cut is the definitive version of Raiden V, and Ikaruga, we already know it's one of the best shmups ever made too.
ave

Re: The Mount Rushmore of PS4 shmups

Post by ave »

Battle Garegga Rev. 2016 is my favourite. I personally could not warm up with Astebreed... it felt too random to me.

Game Tengoku and Dangun Feveron might be worth it for those who don't mind Downloads.

Then there's Super Hydorah, which looks amazing and is full of love, yet plays badly (my opinion only).

Also Ketsui is coming up, featuring the rare special version of the game. I'm definitely looking forward to it :)
THE ETERNAL
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Ketsui had a rare special version? I was okay with it being on PS3.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Darius Burst for being everything Darius Burst is. Caladrius Blaze got released on PS4 as well, with it's mix-n-match customization fun. And I'll nod Sorcerer Striker for the sheer fun factor.

Blazing Star and Omega Fighter are my favorite Arcade Archives releases. If you're looking for stuff outside the bigger releases there's a ton of shmups under that label.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Having spent an inordinate amount of time with Raiden V: Director's Cut this past month, I have found a lot to like about it. DB:CS is fun, but I wish the core game was a bit longer and beefier. I love me some Ikaruga, but I'm going to go for the Switch version instead, because tate. And shame on me, I haven't played Astebreed yet.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Strania being absent instantly invalidates this list and this poll.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Obscura wrote:Strania being absent instantly invalidates this list and this poll.
Please let me know how you're playing Strania on PS4. :P

Out of the listed games, I guess I prefer DB:CS. Overall on PS4, I think the three ShotTriggers games are probably my top 3 on the console. If I had to pick one it would be Dangun Feveron... or Garegga... or... errrrrgh so hard to choose.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

...I could have sworn this said PC? Am I going insane?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Why these of all games, and not any of the ones exclusive to PS4, or at least exclusive to the Sony ecosystem (such as Resogun)?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
pmp

Post by pmp »

Magic Knight Grand Charion is also missing
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Whichever of them has Washington, Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, and Jefferson in it.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Obscura wrote:...I could have sworn this said PC? Am I going insane?
here!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63158
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

BrianC wrote:Whichever of them has Washington, Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, and Jefferson in it.
The reason why I consider these four the "Mount Rushmore" of PS4 shmups because in my opinion, these four are the big four shmups on the console.