Pre-configured 1-Frame of Lag ShmupArch With Video Guide

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
tnc

Re: Pre-configured 1-Frame of Lag ShmupArch With Video Guide

Post by tnc »

SWZ wrote: That's incorrect. You will get one or more frames of input lag by setting vsync on. The amount of lag depends on your system and video configuration. If you are using the opengl api for the video, which I believe is the default, configuring vsync in addition to GPU hard sync will get it down to a minimum of one frame. You can reduce the lag penalty of vsync further by additionally configuring frame delay. See my earlier post in this thread for an explanation of how to configure those and in which order.

Run ahead will remove only the combined internal lag of the emulated game and emulated hardware.

The behavior of some emulators is to speed up a game < 60hz to match your 60hz monitor. This is to avoid some obvious synchronization issues that could occur viewing a 54hz game on a display which refreshes at 60hz, i.e. juddering. Retroarch does this by default but you can configure the speed of emulation manually with an override. Mark has already done this for you in his configs.
Thank you. So when vsync is on, to get the input delay caused by vsync to a minimum of 1 frame after setting the hard gpu sync to on, should I leave the hard gpu sync frames at 0?

When vsync is on, there is no way to get a 54hz game to run at 54hz, right? Or should I say you can't both get rid of tearing and run a game at it's original refresh rate using a 60hz lcd monitor.
SWZ

Post by SWZ »

tnc wrote: Thank you. So when vsync is on, to get the input delay caused by vsync to a minimum of 1 frame after setting the hard gpu sync to on, should I leave the hard gpu sync frames at 0?

When vsync is on, there is no way to get a 54hz game to run at 54hz, right? Or should I say you can't both get rid of tearing and run a game at it's original refresh rate using a 60hz lcd monitor.
You want GPU hard sync set as low as possible. By setting it to 0 you are saying "don't buffer any frames"; setting it to 1 would say "buffer no more than 1 frame".

The game will run at 54hz, but it will not synchronize to the monitor. You could get rid of the tearing, but it's a matter of picking tearing over stuttering, juddering, speeding the game up, etc. In the case of a 54hz game, you probably don't want vsync. Vsync gets worse the futher you are away from the display rate you are syncing to. That would be where a CRT or variable refresh rate monitor comes into play as those can actually sync to 54hz. If you want to have the cake and eat it too the variable refresh rate monitors are the way to go.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

SWZ wrote:If you want to have the cake and eat it too the variable refresh rate monitors are the way to go.
Or GroovyMAME (with a compatible monitor, but they're not that rare), which is the second best choice after branded VRR.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
tnc

Post by tnc »

Thank you. I have one last question. What is Dodonpachi's refresh rate and is it a reasonable thing to do to play it with vsync on? I'm not using Shmuparch by the way. Also what should I set the number of frames to run ahead to? I'm guessing 2?

edit: With number of frames to run ahead set to 1, pausing the game, holding the shot button and pressing k I still get shot animation on the first frame so set at 2, it might be cutting a frame. With vsync off I get slight tearing so I set it to vsync on, hard gpu sync to on and hard gpu sync frames to 0.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Yes, for ddp set run ahead to 1 and use frame delay at 7 :-) 2 frames of run ahead for ddp is too much.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Quick question:

Anyone knows if the cv1000 Blitter Delay in mame is exclusive to Windows OS?
In Android, in any mame core of Retroarch (2014, 2015, 2016), activating the Blitter option and messing with the % value, returns very bad/weird results, like drastic overall speed loss (half speed almost) and a lot of sprite flickering.

Can anyone shed some light?
pbsk8

Post by pbsk8 »

could you update to the latest retroarch version?

This 1.7.7 keeps freezing when I am trying to set the buttons following the pdf guide (I have a madcatz TE2), after I close RA with alt+f4 and open it again, it gets crazy moving through all the menu by itself :shock:

also after loading core, I go to load content and then the folder that I have all finalburn neo roms, but RA doesnt recognize them by name, only the .zip file, is there a way to scan and show the proper names?