Radirgy S

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Radirgy S

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The Japanese version didn't get a patch with English

I didn't think it was going to.

Hopefully the translation's decent

In the clips they previewed, it seemed kind of rough. But who knows? I already own two versions of the JP version, so I'm not buying another, although I am kind of curious.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

So when do I get my download code then?

Does that mean you had to delete your jpn eshop Radirgy and redownload the english one, Ms.Tea?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Does that mean you had to delete your jpn eshop Radirgy and redownload the english one, Ms.Tea?

It seems Nintendo considers the eng and jp versions to be completely different games (at least the eng version isn't saying 'purchased' for me...)
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Yeah, they're considered totally different games. You can have both installed at once.

It's fairly common for all global releases of a game to be a single title ID internally, so localizations will often be released as a patch to the original version, but since this is a different publisher I wasn't counting on it. I figured it'd be nice if I got the localization for free but didn't think it was likely.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

OK, I played for a bit, and the translation is... fine? It's not great, the writing is basically pretty meh, but it's legible and gets the job done. Not Castle Shikigami 2 tier for sure. It does feel like they didn't do much QA on it because a lot of it seems to have been translated without context - "ABSNET" is romanized three different ways, I could swear Alta was referred to as male in one line of dialogue, etc., but it doesn't affect too much. The tutorial image is probably the worst-translated part of the entire game, which is not ideal for people who are trying to figure out how to play.

The good news though is it's Radirgy Swag? And this game genuinely rules. I really do love how much of an original take on shooters it is, it's like a totally original caravan shooter that doesn't play like anything else out there. I really do hope people play this now it's out in English.

Speaking of that tutorial, in the Japanese version it's a webpage you can zoom in on and pan around, but in the English version it's just a static image - which means you can't zoom in on it at all, and the text is so tiny you're not going to be able to read it without standing right next to your TV. Horrible decision. I captured a 1080p copy of it here for anyone who needs it: https://i.imgur.com/HuNQcyo.png EDIT: Oh and you can see a couple translator's notes they apparently never bothered to clean up in there, lol

And here's the Japanese version for anyone who wants that: https://rs34.co.jp/product/manual_radirgysw_0050/
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I'm gonna give the English version a go, but I could not get into the Japanese release. It all just feels like I'm fighting against homework assignments to get further into the game. It's a weird feeling to spend time playing it and having no idea if I'm doing "well" or getting "better" in any meaningful way.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

That you Ms. Tea!
Man, I can't read that instruction card at all...

It's a weird feeling to spend time playing it and having no idea if I'm doing "well" or getting "better" in any meaningful way.

That's a strange criticism, as I thought the whole concept of a "goal" was something they handled very simply and elegantly (especially since their game didn't have the usual demarcators such as levels and bosses). The goal? Get to the moon. How close am I? Look at the big ass meter that's parallel to the entire playfield.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I suppose the meta goal is clear, but the moment-to-moment gameplay doesn't give me a very good sense of advancement. I'm just doing "stuff" on checklists as I'm told to, and I don't feel like I have much agency or much investment in any given section. Did I do some stuff? Ok. Next run I'll do some more.

I don't mean to hate on it. I am generally a very achievement-driven gamer. Give me a quest list and a big yellow arrow to follow in most games I'm good to go, but for some reason it just doesn't work for me here.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I'm just doing "stuff" on checklists

Oh... I don't have any idea what any of that stuff even says as I can't read Japanese. So it doesn't really factor into my gameplay
Hero of Legend

Post by Hero of Legend »

Codes are finally being sent tonight... supposedly.

https://twitter.com/DispatchGames/statu ... 6896316422
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Jonpachi wrote:I suppose the meta goal is clear, but the moment-to-moment gameplay doesn't give me a very good sense of advancement. I'm just doing "stuff" on checklists as I'm told to, and I don't feel like I have much agency or much investment in any given section. Did I do some stuff? Ok. Next run I'll do some more.

I don't mean to hate on it. I am generally a very achievement-driven gamer. Give me a quest list and a big yellow arrow to follow in most games I'm good to go, but for some reason it just doesn't work for me here.
Keep in mind you've got three different axes you're getting scored on - survival time, distance travelled, and score. Early on it's helpful to pick one of them to focus on. Maybe you'll try for score this run, or maybe you'll try to maximize distance and pay less attention to score. That gives you something to hold on to in individual runs.

The orders are for the metagame progress, like you mentioned; do them if you want to earn the bonus content, which fleshes out the story.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Yeah, I saw this on the e-shop, insta-wishlisted.

Glad it's a decent translation, but it's a bit of a tougher balance. I actually liked the one UFO did, it was appropriately off-kilter. It's definitely not the kind of game you translate straight.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
RealPlumpBox

Post by RealPlumpBox »

Hero of Legend wrote:Codes are finally being sent tonight... supposedly.

Anyone actually gotten theirs yet?
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

RealPlumpBox wrote:
Hero of Legend wrote:Codes are finally being sent tonight... supposedly.

Anyone actually gotten theirs yet?

Nope, haven't got anything yet.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Nothing here yet.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

Just got my code emailed to me today.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I also noticed my US account is no longer "allowed" to launch my digital copy of JP Radirgy. It instructs me to purchase a copy from the eshop (my JP account still works).

Has this ever happened with any other game? This is the first I've heard of it...

EDIT: I messed up, this is only occurring with my digital copy
Last edited by m.sniffles.esq on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RealPlumpBox

Post by RealPlumpBox »

Bear78 wrote:Just got my code emailed to me today.
Was it from Dispatch Games? Or some other distribution email?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:I also noticed my US account is no longer "allowed" to launch my digital and physical copies JP Radirgy. It instructs me to purchase a copy from the eshop (my JP account still launches both copies).

Has this ever happened with any other game? This is the first I've heard of it...
Weird, that's not happening to me. I have the retail Japanese version and the English eshop version, and my Canadian account can launch both.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:I also noticed my US account is no longer "allowed" to launch my digital and physical copies JP Radirgy. It instructs me to purchase a copy from the eshop (my JP account still launches both copies).

I'm in the US and have the same problem. It seems to be a new thing related to digital purchases where they are "region locking" to the account that paid for them. Pure physical media seems fine, so I'm not sure what's up with your physical copy.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

RealPlumpBox wrote:
Bear78 wrote:Just got my code emailed to me today.
Was it from Dispatch Games? Or some other distribution email?
it was from support@dispatchgames.com
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Just got my code as well.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

May 2021:

I want you to know I fucking called it. :shock: 8)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I had to email them directly saying "where da FUCK is my code, li'l bitch" but I got a response a few hours later.

So I guess I will be able to give this game a shot over the next few days. - probably after this week given I am doing a Strania showcase this Sunday.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Jonpachi wrote:I'm gonna give the English version a go, but I could not get into the Japanese release. It all just feels like I'm fighting against homework assignments to get further into the game. It's a weird feeling to spend time playing it and having no idea if I'm doing "well" or getting "better" in any meaningful way.
I have the exact same feeling, and it didn't go away at all in the English version when I could understand the objectives better. Feels so arbitrary.

Then again, I have always had a hard time getting into Milestone/RS34 games (yet I continue buying them), so YMMV - might resonate better with the kind of person who vibes with their more experimental stuff like Ilvelo or the 3DS games. Personally, I always thought their best work was when they didn't try so hard to be weird and different from a mechanics point of view, and just did a more "typical" stg with their aesthetic touches (like the original Radirgy and Karous).
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I'm in the same boat. I have the japanese Radirgy Swag / Ilvello Swamp double pack for Switch sitting on my shelf, but the games intimidate me to a point where I just play something else instead of trying to figure them out. Shame, really, as the original Radirgy is one of my favourite games.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Personally, I always thought their best work was when they didn't try so hard to be weird and different from a mechanics point of view, and just did a more "typical" stg with their aesthetic touches (like the original Radirgy and Karous).

Problem is, 'typical' shooters like Radirgy and Karous play terribly on the Switch's (and 3DS's) small screen. They're not just trying to be weird for it's own sake, they're designing for the platform given.

So if you haven't played Swag undocked, I'd recommend doing so. Graphically, it just pops off the screen (I get more "what game is that?" from strangers looking over my shoulder than any other game I own), and it's design decisions become much less obtuse.
sherbaby

Post by sherbaby »

After waiting for the western release - I for one am really enjoying this game! I wish I had a better sense of how well I'm doing on a run -- often it seems like what feel like my most successful attempts (lots of speed-ups and stars collected) don't even crack my top 10 scores; my PB is 40mil above the rest and I'm not sure what I did differently on that one!

But play sessions are short and sweet. The rhythm of swiping at items, trying to be on top of enemy swarms, and remembering to periodically tap to keep absonet engaged, is really mesmerizing. The acceleration of the bg to Compile-esque speeds for maxing out wee-fee feels so nice, and is its own reward. Still haven't gotten endless despite satisfying the 4 conditions in the wiki, so presumably I need to have collected more stars (how much is "A lot"?). Need to study all the excellent info linked & in this thread some more.

There is one thing bothering me right now though (maybe Ms. Tea can answer): Is there a ton of text missing from the english release of this game? Every gameplay video I've seen of the original has tons of pop-up messages with icons for all kind of cute & colorful characters, or other symbols ("404", jolly rogers, ...). But I've only ever seen messages from Atra in my play sessions. Did they just not bother to translate anything else so cut it all out? Or do I need to do unlock all this extra dialogue somehow?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

My easiest/best scoring tip is to only start the game when the television is showing a map (at the ship selection screen). This will give you the largest enemy waves from the beginning, allowing you to obtain "OVER" much, much quicker.

More time spent in "OVER" = Larger score

It's that simple
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

sherbaby wrote: ...  
Glad you're enjoying it!

The thing about scoring is that if you go too fast, you will often not have enough time to destroy larger enemies before they go off the screen. Maybe that's what's affecting your score. Either way, your score by the time you reach the moon is not too important once you start getting into endless.

Speaking of which, I wish I could give a solid figure on the cumulative number of stars needed but I haven't done any research on it and it would take quite a bit of time. I think you will need about 15-20 hours of playtime at least before it starts getting possible to get into endless, but I can't remember how long it first took me, I'm afraid.

Regarding the messages, I'm sorry to say that I think they just simply cut all the non-Atra messages in the translated version (like with Karous BOR on 3DS)... I had my suspicions about only seeing Atra messages in the little teaser video that they showed ages ago, and it looks like they didn't add any of the the other messages in the end...
There is quite a lot of text in all the messages and I guess they decided it was too costly for them to translate all of it, sadly.
(I haven't got the english version myself so I can't confirm for sure though)

I sort of hope they will let me do the english translation for Swamp (I'm willing to do it cheaper if they really can't afford it because I'd rather not have content cut, but I'd imagine they'd want to go to an agency that can handle EFIGS all in one place rather than commissioning different languages to different entities). I know you're reading this RS34 and mebius - my DMs are open!!!!11