Psikyo Collection Volume 1 Nintendo Switch (Physical)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Psikyo Collection Volume 1 Nintendo Switch (Physical)

Post by Tokyo-J »

Arc System Works is bringing a Physical version of the Eshop Psikyo releases to the Nintendo Switch in South Korea

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/13/ps ... or-switch/

So far confirmed are:

Gunbird
Samurai Aces
Sol Divide
Strikers 1945
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
jandrogo

Re: Psikyo Collection Volume 1 Nintendo Switch (Physical)

Post by jandrogo »

Question regarding Strikers 1945 and other Zerodiv ports: yesterday I started playing it docked + screen tated and realized background suffers some kind of bad scaling on Filter 1 (raw pixels). It doesn’t happens with Filter 2 (softened) or Filter 3 (softened+scanlines). I tried different resolutions in console display configuration (1080p-720p-480p), none of them solved the problem.. anyone more has noticed it?
Working in the japanese language achievement
FRO

Post by FRO »

This just jumped to the top of my wishlist! One more reason to be happy that the Switch is region-free :mrgreen:
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

when??? better soon. Just around to buy strikers 1945 digitally
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

RuffNEC wrote:when??? better soon. Just around to buy strikers 1945 digitally
I doubt it will be very soon, since it was just announced, and it usually takes at least a few months to get the physical games manufactured and ready to distribute.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

Why no PS4?
FRO

Post by FRO »

Doctor Butler wrote:Why no PS4?
Probably because these games were all released digitally on the Switch, but not PS4, so this is just a matter of compiling the eShop games onto a game card, and making a menu system to select from them.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

https://www.play-asia.com/psikyo-collec ... /13/70c7gd

Tentative release date: September 21st 2018

Pretty hype for this! :D
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
MachineAres 1CC

Plasmo wrote:https://www.play-asia.com/psikyo-collec ... /13/70c7gd

You're hype for some emulated MAME ROMs on a cartridge? Whatever floats your boat, I guess
mrmccormo

Post by mrmccormo »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Plasmo wrote:https://www.play-asia.com/psikyo-collec ... /13/70c7gd

You're hype for some emulated MAME ROMs on a cartridge? Whatever floats your boat, I guess
Yeah, some gamers have a strange desire to support the devs/publishers who make the games.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Wait, I thought this is an official release? Is it a bootleg of some sort?
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Plasmo wrote:Wait, I thought this is an official release? Is it a bootleg of some sort?
It's an official release.

The complaint some have is that it's emulating the arcade ROMs / PS1 ISO's rather than a ground-up remake of each entire game for Switch.
Last edited by DejahThoris on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

DejahThoris wrote: The complaint some have is that it's emulating the arcade ROMs rather than a ground-up remake of each entire game for Switch.
A few of the games seem to be based on the PS1 ports, not MAME.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

BrianC wrote:
DejahThoris wrote: The complaint some have is that it's emulating the arcade ROMs rather than a ground-up remake of each entire game for Switch.
A few of the games seem to be based on the PS1 ports, not MAME.
Good to know, I was simply going off of the info from the guy a few up who was upset it's emulation.
MachineAres 1CC

mrmccormo wrote:Yeah, some gamers have a strange desire to support the devs/publishers who make the games.
It is a little strange when it's 30 year old games that have already been published and sold 4 or 5 times already on different platforms, but they keep doing it again and again and are lazily being ported over to a new platform, so the support seems a little less valuable to me, but that's just my personal opinion. Feels more like a quick cash grab than supporting a developer who makes the games.
upset it's emulation.
It has nothing to do with simply being "emulation" but the fact that they put absolutely zero work into putting it on said platform. There's a difference. You have "emulation" like the M2 Shot Triggers series with lots of care and value put into the product, then you have...these Psikyo ports.
Last edited by MachineAres 1CC on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I think M2 ShotTriggers isn't emulation, though some of M2's other projects have been.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
MachineAres 1CC

Shepardus wrote:I think M2 ShotTriggers isn't emulation, though some of M2's other projects have been.
Pretty sure they have some very heavy elements of emulation, even if not 100% somehow, cause they still have the arcade boot-up screens and tests in the game when you boot it up. I'd be interested to actually know more about what they do for the Shot Triggers, but the results are a much better value and experience than these Psikyo ports and some of the older ACA ports.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
upset it's emulation.
It has nothing to do with simply being "emulation" but the fact that they put absolutely zero work into putting it on said platform. There's a difference. You have "emulation" like the M2 Shot Triggers series with lots of care and value put into the product, then you have...these Psikyo ports.
That care comes with a price though. M2 Shot Triggers releases aren't $7, the Psikyo ports are. It's entirely justifiable that they're as barebones as they are.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Shepardus wrote:I think M2 ShotTriggers isn't emulation, though some of M2's other projects have been.
Pretty sure they have some very heavy elements of emulation, even if not 100% somehow, cause they still have the arcade boot-up screens and tests in the game when you boot it up. I'd be interested to actually know more about what they do for the Shot Triggers, but the results are a much better value and experience than these Psikyo ports and some of the older ACA ports.
I'm pretty sure they just recreated the bootup sequences because they wanted to make as fully faithful a port as they could. They would have a hell of a time adding all the features and settings they did, such as the arrange modes, switching bullet colors in Garegga, etc, through an emulation layer. I remember someone mentioning in the Garegga thread shortly after the announcement that they had the source code for the game.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Ports aren't emulations, technically speaking. A technical port is to remake the game from the ground up in the code native to a specific console (or other platform). When it's done well, it's indistinguishable from the original... and the developers can add in all sorts of goodies, because they have access to all of the code (because they programmed it themselves). That's M2's ShotTriggers series.
MachineAres 1CC

DejahThoris wrote:That care comes with a price though. M2 Shot Triggers releases aren't $7, the Psikyo ports are. It's entirely justifiable that they're as barebones as they are.
I'd much rather pay a little bit extra for something that has care and extra content added than a port of a thing I've already played literally hundreds of times. It doesn't help that this collection is 4 of the most mediocre Psikyo games IMO as well, it's hard to justify paying anything for them when I get deja vu and get bored of most of these in a few minutes. The sequels for Strikers and Gunbird are much better than the originals to me and Sol Divide is total kusoge for me.
I'm pretty sure they just recreated the bootup sequences because they wanted to make as fully faithful a port as they could. They would have a hell of a time adding all the features and settings they did, such as the arrange modes, switching bullet colors in Garegga, etc, through an emulation layer. I remember someone mentioning in the Garegga thread shortly after the announcement that they had the source code for the game.
That could very well be, but in any case, the general idea I was talking about, with technical terms aside, was bringing a very old 2D game to a new platform. There are different ways to do it with different levels of quality and value, and these Psikyo ones are at the bottom of the barrel.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It's nice to be able to play those old-school Psikyo STGs "on the go" with the Switch platform -- can't do that with a Psikyo arcade pcb + supergun + portable 15.7kHz low-res RGB monitor setup (as that type of setup must remain stationary at all times -- plus the fragile nature of the arcade PCBs themselves and the possible chance that it could be rendered useless by static discharge quite easily). But if you want the pure 100% unadulterated versions of the classic Psikyo STGs in their original incarnation/glory, the arcade PCB route is the only way to enjoy 'em at their best.

It's awesome to be able to take out the ol' Strikers 1999 (aka Strikers 1945 III in the USA) & Gunbird 2 pcbs out for a spin every once in a while for old time's sake. Plus the Psikyo Maintenance codes provided for some Psikyo arcade pcbs gives the hard-core arcade game purist more opportunities to change end-user settings to his or her liking.

Psikyo Factoid Time: When Psikyo's Gunbird arcade jamma conversion kits first arrived in the American arcades back in May of 1995 for it's initial arcade grand debut, they were distributed by the American arcade subsidiary, Jaleco USA, indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Shottriggers is enhanced emulators. The low amount of frills here is justifiable by the price IMO.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.