Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ACSeraph

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection for Switch

Post by ACSeraph »

Yeah that's true, but it's so close that I don't think we desperately needed a better version (though I'm really happy we got it). Compared to Saturn Darius 2 the Gaiden port was a masterpiece.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I went for it! Can't wait to pore over all the marquees, then put them back in the stock box, afraid to ever take them out again.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I'm surprised you were able to get a Beep version, you won't regret it!

I'm going to put the marquees up on my wall in the living room. I figure theres no point in buying it if I'll never use it.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Not having Gaiden Extra seems odd. Having that new version of Sagaia sounds magnificent though. I definitely need to get this at some point.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

considering the limited version is far from the budget I consider fair for a console game, Does the regular version worth it?
Working in the japanese language achievement
GSK

Post by GSK »

I took the lack of Gaiden Extra as a tacit confirmation that that version's a hack.

They didn't add 3-screen Darius II because it was too much work for too little gain, the game's largely the same aside from screen-related adjustments but the hardware is completely different (it's a Ninja Warriors conversion, IIRC).

The only reason they were able to include Darius Alpha is because someone already had a half-made PCE emulator kicking around for the hell of it and they figured they had just enough time to finish it and debug Alpha but not the CD games (or Plus, evidently).

Anything you might have wanted, they discussed they just couldn't add everything.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

ACSeraph wrote:I'm surprised you were able to get a Beep version, you won't regret it!

I'm going to put the marquees up on my wall in the living room. I figure theres no point in buying it if I'll never use it.
I was surprised too! I've read a few grumblings online about this company occasionally offering things as "in stock" that they don't have yet, so I'm hoping this isn't a case of that.

But yeah, I'll definitely be making as much use of the contents as possible! I'm particularly excited about the Omnibus II CD - I love the first one. The Odyssey book will be incredible too, although I'll only be able to enjoy the pictures.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

ACSeraph wrote:
AFXisatwin wrote:Whats your opinion on the emulation? Does it feel nice and crisp? Didn't realize M2 was behind this so I have more confidence in this port now.

So basically the negatives are that I want more? That's probably a good sign.
You totally sold me on this. I was kind of on the fence before but the inclusion of the widgets is awesome. I was also hoping they could include Darius Gaiden Extra Version but what can you do right? One of my buddies had an idea that they could have included the starting with 2nd player for the full run mode. so fun. Still mame to play that I suppose.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks for the impressions. I ordered the standard edition (it doesn't seem to be available digitally). While I wouldn't mind the console games on the Switch, I have Super Nova, Darius II MD, and Sagaia GB on cart. Does the alternate version of Sagaia AC start on the fireball stage?
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Almost forgot about this one, but I'm on board. Playasia seems to be sold out already though, so I'll wait a bit on them before looking into figuring out Amazon Japan...
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

jandrogo wrote:considering the limited version is far from the budget I consider fair for a console game, Does the regular version worth it?
I think it depends on how serious you are about the series and whether or not you own the games in their other formats. For me it's absolutely worth it, Sagaia alone is enough, and if you don't have any of them then absolutely. The SE games are awesome but not as essential as the main stuff offered in the standard edition.
BrianC wrote:Does the alternate version of Sagaia AC start on the fireball stage?
It does yeah, but instead of the sun it's a flaming city.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

cave hermit wrote:Almost forgot about this one, but I'm on board. Playasia seems to be sold out already though, so I'll wait a bit on them before looking into figuring out Amazon Japan...
dang. I ordered just in time. Was not expecting it to sell out a day after I ordered it. Hopefully, they'll get more stock soon.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

GSK wrote:I took the lack of Gaiden Extra as a tacit confirmation that that version's a hack.
Not exactly. Unlike Darius Extra, Gaiden Extra was just some thing the devs made for fun. It wasn't really released properly, and there aren't a lot of copies.

I wonder if Sagaia version 2 has a similar story.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
GSK

Post by GSK »

Despatche wrote:
GSK wrote:I took the lack of Gaiden Extra as a tacit confirmation that that version's a hack.
Not exactly. Unlike Darius Extra, Gaiden Extra was just some thing the devs made for fun. It wasn't really released properly, and there aren't a lot of copies.

I wonder if Sagaia version 2 has a similar story.
I've heard that story and I'd certainly believe it, considering how many other Taito oddities are out there, but I've never seen definitive proof that it was produced by Taito, as opposed to stuff like Dankuuga and what have you. It's also weird that they haven't mentioned it at all in the lead-up to this collection, seeing as they've mentioned pretty much everything else there is to mention, but maybe they just know they had a plausible excuse not to include it and they took it--the way they've talked about Gaiden, it sounds like it was much harder to get right than they anticipated. (Just from watching a stream or two, I can tell some of the crazy raster effects don't look quite right.)

Sagaia ver.2 was officially sent to market in extremely limited quantities, apparently. When they booted the ROMs for testing at the beginning of the project, they figured ver.2 was an unmarked bugfix a la Darius II and couldn't believe how different it was from ver.1.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

BrianC wrote:
cave hermit wrote:Almost forgot about this one, but I'm on board. Playasia seems to be sold out already though, so I'll wait a bit on them before looking into figuring out Amazon Japan...
dang. I ordered just in time. Was not expecting it to sell out a day after I ordered it. Hopefully, they'll get more stock soon.
Realistically, how often does extra stock or a reprint of a special edition happen? Or are these extra games doomed to ebay scammers for all time?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

EmperorIng wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Realistically, how often does extra stock or a reprint of a special edition happen? Or are these extra games doomed to ebay scammers for all time?
From a few posts up. The regular edition also sold out from Play-Asia.
BrianC wrote:Thanks for the impressions. I ordered the standard edition (it doesn't seem to be available digitally). While I wouldn't mind the console games on the Switch, I have Super Nova, Darius II MD, and Sagaia GB on cart. Does the alternate version of Sagaia AC start on the fireball stage?
I just checked the Darius Cozmic Collection standard page and, while it still says sold out, it also says that more stock is expected to arrive on the 5th.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Ha ha, I feel like this makes it all the more confusing, since the store page doesn't list those extra games! Thanks for the notice though. Maybe I'll take my chances and order it too instead of fighting people on YAJ.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

oh. I was just saying I had a few of the games that were missing from the standard edition in physical form (though Sagaia GB was only an Amazon Exclusive pre-order bonus).
Last edited by BrianC on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neorebel

Post by Neorebel »

Now we just need a collection like this from Cave on the switch ;)
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Playasia got the standard edition back in stock, so I placed an order! Can't wait!

So just to be clear this collection has the Extra version of Darius 1, right?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Nin-Nin-Game have shipped out my order of the BEEP version, if anyone was thinking about ordering from them. They do have them, it seems. :)
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Sold out now :cry: ..If anyone has the Beep version for sale let me know as I wouldn't mind one
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

cave hermit wrote:Playasia got the standard edition back in stock, so I placed an order! Can't wait!

So just to be clear this collection has the Extra version of Darius 1, right?
yes, IIRC, but not Darius Gaiden Extra.
Last edited by BrianC on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I took the plunge on YAJ. Hopefully I'm not scammed! It was marginally cheaper than NinNin, however this is before shipping is factored, lol.

I wouldn't do this normally, but this is my favorite shmup series. It'll be a great opportunity to add Darius Force to my 1CC list. 8)
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Klatrymadon wrote:Nin-Nin-Game have shipped out my order of the BEEP version, if anyone was thinking about ordering from them. They do have them, it seems. :)
Yikes, did they sell out of the BEEP version at that price ($322.50)? BEEP had it available directly until just recently at a much lower price so they must have just sourced to flip it.

Heck my Famitsu DX version from Amazon.jp was like $183 shipped.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Ah, bollocks. Appreciate the heads-up - I'll be a lot more wary of them in future. I thought it was around £190 wherever you got it from, so didn't mind paying the extra to get it from Nin-Nin (£233) given it had seemingly sold out everywhere else. That's rankling to hear, although I funded splashing out on the SE by (for once) getting rid of some other games, so I'm not too gutted about it. I'm crazy enough about the series that it feels like a bargain just to have Sagaia ver. 2 and Darius Alpha at home!
Mero

Post by Mero »

Darius Cozmic Collection has sold 9,495 (Media Create) in its first week, which I'd say is great for an stg release in this day and age.

Edit: 13,052 according to Famitsu numbers.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Klatrymadon wrote:Ah, bollocks. Appreciate the heads-up - I'll be a lot more wary of them in future. I thought it was around £190 wherever you got it from, so didn't mind paying the extra to get it from Nin-Nin (£233) given it had seemingly sold out everywhere else. That's rankling to hear, although I funded splashing out on the SE by (for once) getting rid of some other games, so I'm not too gutted about it. I'm crazy enough about the series that it feels like a bargain just to have Sagaia ver. 2 and Darius Alpha at home!
It was probably the only way to get it when you bought.

After getting the BEEP Ketsui (and being underwhelmed aside from the cardboard) I skipped out. I wound up getting it shipped directly but it was dicey and they didn't communicate. Using a proxy this round (which does look better content wise) would have raised the price.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Mine arrived today! I'm having a ball looking at all the artwork, but my Switch is out for repairs and not due back for 4 weeks. This Omnibus CD better be good! :lol:
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Has anyone seen a translation guide for the various options in the menu?