Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BloodHawk

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by BloodHawk »

prophetic wrote:
TransatlanticFoe wrote:Strictly Limited Games are doing a cart run of the Mega Drive version of Darius, not open for pre-order yet though it seems. Don't hate on them for shipping issues this year please. covid has made things tough for shipping to certain regions and it's not trivial for a small company to work around without incurring significant costs.
This is a physical version of the game that was on Genesis mini?
From what I have read I think it's an enhanced version of what was on the mini, hence the "extra" added to the title. I myself don't have a mini so I don't know the exact features of what is on that one for comparison, but this is what Beep's store states about the physical cartridge for extra (through google translate):

""Darius Extra Version (for MD / MD compatibles)" is a port of the side-scrolling shooter that made a big hit in the arcade in 1986.
In addition to the "faithful porting mode" that condenses the power of the three screens of the arcade game into one screen and pays close attention to details, it is also equipped with the "boss rush mode" in which all 26 giant battleships appear, and this work Then, you can select 3 modes, "OLD", "NEW", and "EXTRA", and you can enjoy the 1-screen ported version of each arcade version. Of course, "EXTRA" is also equipped with a continue function! And the game has been readjusted according to the installation of the new mode, the PROCO (NORMAL) mode remains the same, the TIAT (EASY) mode has become easier, and the rapid fire function can be set more finely! In this work, the game sound is even more powerful! Enjoy the powerful ZUNTATA sound with a 16-bit game machine equipped with an FM sound source! Please look forward to the game cassette version "Darius" that can be enjoyed on 16-bit game consoles for shooting game fans."

https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/d ... znKTGHBJ5Y
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

From what I have read, the MD Mini version is kind of the 1 screen 'New' version of the Arcade game with some elements of the 'Extra' version in the relevant boss behaviour. This new release seems to be providing a more correct 1 screen release of all three arcade versions, plus the other bits and bobs already mentioned.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Strictly Limited Games are doing a cart run of the Mega Drive version of Darius, not open for pre-order yet though it seems. Don't hate on them for shipping issues this year please. covid has made things tough for shipping to certain regions and it's not trivial for a small company to work around without incurring significant costs.
Yes I bought revalations from them not realising they took money upfront and they refunded me no problem ( lost my job , 5 kids Xmas coming etc)
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

ATTN: System11 Bargin Hunters
Play-Asia has Revelation for $67 plus the million dollars of shipping the Play-Asia usually charges.
Is it about the same everywhere? Or should I be shopping around?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:ATTN: System11 Bargin Hunters
Play-Asia has Revelation for $67 plus the million dollars of shipping the Play-Asia usually charges.
Isn't the Strictly Limited Games one cheaper?
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

I'm really looking forward to that Cozmic Revelation CE. We have Cozmic Collection Arcade and Console coming, but they've been held up in customs for a solid month. At this rate, we'll get Revelation first!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Samildanach wrote:
Okay, I'll do the math:

Play-Asia
$67 ($5.90 shipping)
Totalling
$72.90

Strictly Limited
€59.99 ($71 USD) (€6,49 shipping, $7.68 USD)
Totaling
$78.68

Advantage...
Play-Asia!

EDIT: Play-Asia charges a hidden $1 international credit card fee. So $73.90, but still the winner
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
Samildanach wrote:
Okay, I'll do the math:

Play-Asia
$67 ($5.90 shipping)
Totalling
$72.90

Strictly Limited
€59.99 ($71 USD) (€6,49 shipping, $7.68 USD)
Totaling
$78.68

Advantage...
Play-Asia!

EDIT: Play-Asia charges a hidden $1 international credit card fee. So $73.90, but still the winner
That is a surprise. Admittedly I went for the LE version which oddly is cheaper with Strictly, (and has the advantage of a translated Odyssey book). You'll likely get it sooner through Play Asia, knowing the relative speeds of each company's ability to get stuff posted.
system11

Post by system11 »

Has anyone used "Japanzon.com"? They seem to offer preorders for the Japanese cart (which Amazon JP won't ship to me). Also there's a disclaimer on Amazon and that site that the cart "may not work on all hardware" - it's manufactured by Colombus Circle who I've not heard of before.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

system11 wrote:Has anyone used "Japanzon.com"? They seem to offer preorders for the Japanese cart (which Amazon JP won't ship to me). Also there's a disclaimer on Amazon and that site that the cart "may not work on all hardware" - it's manufactured by Columbus Circle who I've not heard of before.
Don't know about japanzon.

May not work on all hardware may refer to PAL and clones... The Strictly Limited Games version is offered as either PAL or NTCS. Obviously the JPN Columbus Circle release will be NTSC. But they also commonly put a compatibility disclaimer on these type of releases just in case it doesn't work with some odd clone unit.
Columbus Circle itself doesn't have the best reputation. Their stuff works, but some people complained about the thickness of the PCB in their previous Mega Drive release. And I've gotten a Famicom release of theirs that feels pretty junky compared to an official original cart.
The SLG Euro Mega Drive and Genesis versions are still readily available, they will ship later than Columbus Circle but will probably be a better product.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

system11 wrote:Has anyone used "Japanzon.com"? They seem to offer preorders for the Japanese cart (which Amazon JP won't ship to me). Also there's a disclaimer on Amazon and that site that the cart "may not work on all hardware" - it's manufactured by Colombus Circle who I've not heard of before.
Amazon JP sold out of the cart and it's only being sold by third party sellers. It was available for US shipping from actual actual Amazon.jp before it sold out.

edit: Doh. I'm not sure if it was available for UK shipping, but the third party scalpers aren't shipping to the US either (and I rather not order from them anyway).
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

system11 wrote:Also there's a disclaimer on Amazon and that site that the cart "may not work on all hardware" - it's manufactured by Colombus Circle who I've not heard of before.
May just come down to it not having been tested on 100% of MD models, given how many different kinds exist. Yuichi Toyama (Taito) did post this photo of all the different hardware it's been tested on. https://twitter.com/U1_Toyama/status/13 ... 1429264384
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Ms. Tea wrote:
system11 wrote: Yuichi Toyama (Taito) did post this photo of all the different hardware it's been tested on. https://twitter.com/U1_Toyama/status/13 ... 1429264384
Is that a Japanese Mega Drive 3 in the upper left of that pic? If so, I didn't know that exists.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

I didn't even think about compatibility issues before preordering. I'm glad to see my CDX in that photo, though.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I think it's so cool that Toyama is at Taito producing these ports.

I'd assume most people here know, and maybe its been mentioned earlier in the thread, but he's formerly of Technosoft, Compile and Raizing. The main brain and programmer behind some of the best Compile games like MUSHA and Spriggan Mk. 2, Raizing's Mahou Daisakusen series, Soukyugurentai etc. He's also one of the people who left Compile to help start Raizing in the beginning.

Don't know the back story, but it might be safe to assume without his presence at Taito that these collaborations with M2 would never have happened. Hope there are many more to come.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

wow He even has a mega sg.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Koa Zo wrote:
Ms. Tea wrote:
system11 wrote: Yuichi Toyama (Taito) did post this photo of all the different hardware it's been tested on. https://twitter.com/U1_Toyama/status/13 ... 1429264384
Is that a Japanese Mega Drive 3 in the upper left of that pic? If so, I didn't know that exists.
Pretty sure that's one of Columbus Circle's own MD clones. https://www.columbuscircle.co.jp/produc ... &p=1&ca=49
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Last night's Zuntata stream shows that GDarius HD has save states (!!) and a capture gallery. Murakumo will be in ACEX+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ESElm0TfA
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

:shock: :shock:

Now where is origami King Fossil?
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Ohh my dariusburst PS4 just turned up for Japan
Took almost 7 weeks!
Had almost given up
Bet now it'll be in UK sale for tenner or revelation version comes up with summit that makes it definitive version lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Just found this comment on dariusburst review, do u agree?

Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours Review

Retro Styled Excellence

By Heidi Kemps on March 10, 2016 at 7:01PM PST

Darius Burst: Chronicle Saviours is the latest installment in Taito’s 30-year-old Darius franchise. It first appeared as a Japan-exclusive PSP game in 2009, eventually migrating to arcades, where it featured an elaborate cabinet that's two screens wide. While the series isn’t as well-known in the West as it is in Japan, it’s still widely regarded as one of the most influential shooting game series of all time; a legacy that Darius Burst captures well.

At first glance, Darius Burst seems like a fairly typical scrolling shooter: scroll along horizontally, fire weapons and missiles to take out waves of enemies, collect power-ups, and fight a boss at the end. What's different here, however, is the “Burst” mechanic: tap the burst button and you fire off an extremely powerful laser that causes tremendous damage to everything in its path. This is made more interesting when you consider that the Burst module can also be detached from the ship and aimed to reach hard-to-target areas. It also allows for a bit of added strategy--you can set it up in a place where it will auto-replenish by blocking and destroying waves of incoming enemies.

Environmental obstacles and challenging enemy encounters call for old-fashioned dodging reflexes in the middle of stages, but boss encounters are on another level entirely: these giant bio-mechanical monstrosities volley lasers, homing missiles, and waves of powerful energy bursts. Making things tougher is that many of the bosses come in various permutations, with each new version introducing stronger weapons and defensive maneuvers.

These challenging encounters are the game’s highlights, with many tense battles that end with your ship on the brink of destruction. Confident players can learn how to Counter-Burst: a destructive but difficult attack that requires you to Burst within a few frames of an enemy’s laser. Failed Counter-Bursts typically end in your death, but learning how to do them yields immense satisfaction, if also a raised pulse.

While Another Chronicle offers a semi-linear arcade mode where you pick branching paths to reach the end, the real meat lies in the robust Chronicle and Chronicle Saviours modes. Chronicle Mode is a direct port from the arcade game, and features over 3,000 individual missions for you to unlock and clear. Many of these missions include conditions that make things unusually challenging, such as removing power-ups or limiting your continues. Granted, not all of these are completely unique--stages and bosses are reused--but the wide variety of rules present in these challenges overshadows the presence of recycled elements.

The sheer variety on display here--and the authentic feel of the older ships--is a real treat, especially for fans of the series.

Elsewhere, Darius Burst resurfaces old material to great effect: the selection of ships in the game includes not only designs created for Darius Burst, but also ships from earlier Darius games, complete with their distinct weapons and shot patterns. Some of these make the game more difficult (the Darius I and II ships lack any Burst functionality), while others change the way you approach encounters (The Gaiden ship replaces the Burst with a screen-clearing Black Hole Bomb). There’s even a ship from the obscure Taito shooter Scramble Formation, the Murakumo, which features four detached weapon units and plays unlike anything else in the game. The sheer variety on display here--and the authentic feel of the older ships--is a real treat, especially for fans of the series.

[https://gamespot1]How Dariusburst Chronicle looks on a single monitor, outside of Chronicle Saviour mode.

The PC version of Darius Burst allows you to recreate the arcade experience by stretching the game across two monitors, creating an ultra-wide image. Otherwise, you have to accept the game's letter-boxed format, which squeezes the ultra-wide image to fit your display, leaving black bars on the bottom and top of the screen. The one exception to this rule is Chronicle Saviour mode, which is tailored for a standard 16:9 screen. Though four-player local coop is available, the lack of online multiplayer is a disappointment, especially given that there are some missions that can only be cleared with four players.

Even with these issues, however, Darius Burst is one of the best traditional shooters to come out in years. The visual design is excellent, the music is avant-garde and memorable, the boss encounters are thrilling, and it’s chock-full of challenges to keep you coming back and playing more. If you enjoy these sorts of games at all and are craving a finely-crafted, intense shooting experience that will keep you hooked for a long time, then Darius Burst: Chronicle Saviours is a worthy .

Upvote (42)

Leave Blank

View Comments (19)

GREAT

About GameSpot Reviews

The Good

Fine-tuned, incredibly fun and challenging retro shooting action

An incredible amount of content spread across several different modes

Plenty of fanservice for longtime series devotees

The Bad

Ideal play setup for Another Chronicle requires additional hardware

No online multiplayer

[https://gamespot1]

Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours

Follow

$64.20 on Walmart

Buy

GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.

About the Author

Heidi Kemps

Heidi has put over 50 hours into Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours across PC, PS4, and Vita, with plenty of challenges left to tackle.

More GameSpot Reviews

[https://gamespot1]Destiny 2 Beyond Light Review - Time Loop

[https://gamespot1]Fuser Review

[https://gamespot1]Hyrule Warriors: Age Of Calamity Review

[https://gamespot1]Godfall Review

19    FirstLatestUpvotes

GameSpot has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to toxic conduct in comments. Any abusive, racist, sexist, threatening, bullying, vulgar, and otherwise objectionable behavior will result in moderation and/or account termination. Please keep your discussion civil.

Please Log In to post.

uninspiredcup  Online

Good review.

• 3 years ago

Pyrosa

Wow! It looks exactly like the Darius games of old...

Count me in.

• 4 years ago

shadowraith

I wonder how well this would work on a triple monitor setup for pc.

• 4 years ago

sladakrobot

Meh...i grew up with Darius,Darius Plus and Super Darius on the PC Engine.

What i see now is a short level game with poor level design and almost chaotic enemy waves untill the boss appears.

I can only see the fun in boss fights here.

Its very sad to see that tactical Shmups(R-Type,Salamander,Gradius,Layer Section,Image Fight,Terra Diver) died out and are replaced by bullethellshooters

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Sorry this comment

Meh...i grew up with Darius,Darius Plus and Super Darius on the PC Engine.

What i see now is a short level game with poor level design and almost chaotic enemy waves untill the boss appears.

I can only see the fun in boss fights here.

Its very sad to see that tactical Shmups(R-Type,Salamander,Gradius,Layer Section,Image Fight,Terra Diver) died out and are replaced by bullethellshooters

Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

I kind of both disagree and grudgingly half agree with that poster's comment. They clearly haven't played the game properly (or at all) if they say it is not tactical. The careful placement of the beam weapon for instance make it possibly the MOST tactical of the Darius games.
On the other hand, the levels have far less structures to fly through and are instead filled with gigantic shoals of enemies. I feel this is a design choice rather than a true omission, and there are indeed some complex levels to navigate through (though they rarely stray from the mechanical base format). It is, admittedly, far less varied in foreground structure compared to the horis of old, but Dariusburst is not exactly alone in foregoing that old format. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

By the way, you can remove your signature (mentioning your phone and tapatalk) by going to User Control Panel and removing it from signtures...if you want. Or deselecting the box 'attach a signature' below the box you type a message into.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Thnx , test

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

dmk1198 wrote:Thnx , test

Urghh, can't see how to remove signature

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

I'm amazed this game is only 1.9gb on.ps4 such a small file compared to other PS4 games
The jap disc I got , I'm abit worried I'm missing out on what to do on the targets for the 200 odd CS levels and not sure I've got a clue on the 3000+ EX option thing in Japanese

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Found manual on line but yeah, as above,

dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

dmk1198 wrote:
dmk1198 wrote:Thnx , test

Urghh, can't see how to remove signature

On another site via Tapatalk I leave no signature, maybe I have to amend on pc not thru app
Anyone I'll delete these comments later sorry for off topic

MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Finally ended up picking these up last week since the PS4 versions were 50% off on the store, and I just remembered all the shit about Sagaia GameBoy version only being available as retailer pre-orders and junk like that. Have they seriously never made that game available any other way? If so, fucking shame on them.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

The Gameboy game is not exactly the greatest as it chugs along at a tediously slow place, but I agree that it is frustrating that it cannot be obtained for the Cozmic Collection in any form now. Despite its imperfections (and to be fair it was the two Gameboy Nemesis/Gradius games that got me into shmups an eon ago) I would happily buy a dlc with it included. Bonus points if they threw in Super Darius 2 also.
The only Darius games I feel are not worthy of the Collection are the three Darius+ versions and Darius R. Sorry GBA Darius R fans, but that game is a travesty.