Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection for Switch

Post by BIL »

CecilMcW00t wrote:Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!
Oi Cecil, good to see you around! :smile: (Metal Snake from elsewhere, a million years ago :oops:)
ACSeraph wrote:As for Darius 1 I actually made a thread about the differences earlier this year. Many of those are less obvious.

Darius Version Differences Analysis
Excellent timing, I've just recently discovered the ACA releases are in fact good stuff and have been scrambling for infos. Image
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

^Glad it's helpful to someone, I mostly made that thread to satisfy my own curiosity. ACA Darius is a great version as well. I would recommend starting with Extra though, I feel like Old and New are probably only worth revisiting for really hardcore fans.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, that's some really stellar work, ACSeraph! I get bummed out by the thought that the original Darius is an oddly underappreciated piece of work, despite belonging to a such a big-news series, so reading someone else's deep-dive into some of its workings came as a kind of salve. :P
BIL

Post by BIL »

ACSeraph wrote:^Glad it's helpful to someone, I mostly made that thread to satisfy my own curiosity. ACA Darius is a great version as well. I would recommend starting with Extra though, I feel like Old and New are probably only worth revisiting for really hardcore fans.
AFAIK the ACA release now includes Extra - at least I hope so, otherwise I just got owned. :lol:
Google Translate wrote:This work includes not only the initial version, but also “EXTRA VERSION” with various adjustments.
Nah, cool either way. :cool:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:
ACSeraph wrote:^Glad it's helpful to someone, I mostly made that thread to satisfy my own curiosity. ACA Darius is a great version as well. I would recommend starting with Extra though, I feel like Old and New are probably only worth revisiting for really hardcore fans.
AFAIK the ACA release now includes Extra - at least I hope so, otherwise I just got owned. :lol:
It definitely has extra (I have the JP ACA release on PS4), though, IIRC, it didn't when I first bought it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation. :smile: I got the impression it was added after Cozmic's release.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Extra was available on ACA Darius at JP launch; I bought it the day it released. Old version was added to the JP ACA sometime after the physical release of Darius 1 on PS4.
Klatrymadon wrote:I get bummed out by the thought that the original Darius is an oddly underappreciated piece of work, despite belonging to a such a big-news series
Darius 1 is just a really different kind of game from the others, but it's (Extra) actually my favorite in the series. The game is really special on a cab, and for me even Darius II and Burst's cabs can't compare, amazing as they are.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Oh ok. I knew something was added in a patch, which was well before the Cozmic Collection, but I forgot what.

It's nice seeing OG Darius getting some love. Not only with ACA and the M2 collection, but a new MD conversion too.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah right, I see - Old was the later addition. Will go with Extra first, thanks again ACS!
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Also BIL, I think you'll be disappointed by the ending fight if you take the usual path of least resistance course ending in X, so maybe shoot for a G.T. kill in Z'; it's a very satisfying way to end the game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Appreciated, will go for that one first! I can't promise much though. I have a tormented relationship with this series. :oops: I wrote a Metal Black ST partially because I was perplexed at everyone calling it SUPERHARD when Darius Gaiden was violently handing me my ass. :lol:
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

:lol: Well I'm glad you did, I love your MB guide. MB is hard in a different way from Gaiden, it's more about strict routing, making it more like Darius II.

I wouldn't say it's an easy game starting out, but Darius 1 Extra is easier than Metal Black imo, and it's also easier than Darius II or Gaiden (Auto-off). I seriously doubt the clear will defy you for very long 8)
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

This has been the refreshing thing about the new Mega Drive version - it's just different enough from every other, and aggressive in ways you aren't expecting, to feel like the hardest iteration of the lot (which is both an impressive achievement and a big injection of new vitality into the game, at least for a while).

I feel like not enough is said about the game's artistic achievements - I play it as much for aesthetic pleasure as anything else, and think that between its surreal, dreamlike stage progression and OGR's astonishing soundtrack (somewhat avant-garde and unafraid to be sparse or dissonant) it creates one of the most curiously melancholy 'worlds' in gaming.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

If Darius Extra is so easy, how come I've 1cc'd original and not Extra :cry:
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

EmperorIng wrote:If Darius Extra is so easy, how come I've 1cc'd original and not Extra :cry:
It's not easier so much as it is more balanced. X course powered down is actually easier in Old and New for example, but just about any course is easier in Extra when powered up. My beloved Z' is easier in Extra because the wave really helps a lot in later stages. In old/new learning it powered down was brutal, but the only other option is lazering Glutton to death, so you were screwed either way. For courses that were easy powered down in the first place Extra is harder due to turret health changes, red roe, and more aggressive bosses.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

BIL wrote:
CecilMcW00t wrote:Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!
Oi Cecil, good to see you around! :smile: (Metal Snake from elsewhere, a million years ago :oops:)
Metal Snake!! I was just thinking about you when I logged back in here! Awesome to see you!
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Does anyone know how to turn off the Body Sonic rumble in Darius 1? It's not an issue with sticks, thankfully, but any pad rumbles constantly from the moment the game boots up, even if being used via a Brook converter.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Does anyone have or know the list of issues there are with the port of Darius Gaiden on Switch without the patch applied?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Strider77 wrote:Does anyone have or know the list of issues there are with the port of Darius Gaiden on Switch without the patch applied?
I don't know exactly, but I have had the collection since before the patch and Gaiden was the one I played the most. It ran great, and still runs great post-patch. If you're worried about the game holding up in a post-eshop world of the future, I think you can rest easy.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I dunno, I saw quite a few issues, and only had one very brief chance to play it before the patch was released. The more striking things I noticed were inputs being 'eaten' at inopportune moments (bombs not coming out, etc), rank differences during a boss (i.e. not using their usual attacks at the usual times/damage levels), a Captain disappearing after being captured, and huge slowdown during Neon Light Illusion, as if the system was really struggling (none of its patterns actually use slowdown to that degree). Other players reported many more issues to M2, if I remember correctly. It'd be a pretty significant downgrade to be stuck with the pre-patch version, I think.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I definitely noticed massive slowdown in places and input drops during ancient dozer pre-patch.
Reluctant Hero

Post by Reluctant Hero »

Strictly Limited Games is re-releasing the Japanese Special Edition as an “International Version”. They’re also porting the game to PS4. But the odd thing is that their release will be two separate cartridges/discs. The Japanese Special Edition had everything on one cartridge, except for the digital only Sagaia GB.

Preorders start in about 50 hours. https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/re ... ollection/
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Might actually be stupid enough to order this again just because it has Plus on it.

Edit: Darius Odyssey being translated could be a clincher too.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

I hate the arcade/console split.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Do we know who did the console game ports? I'm guessing the Arcade one is the M2 set (and it better have the patch applied) but the console pack may be a different dev, and that's why it's two carts.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

"SLG Exclusive packing"

Ha ha, the age of cardboard box sales are back baby! Though I certainly would want the translated art book (:oops:), I'll have to 'content' myself with having the full package.
Jonpachi wrote:Do we know who did the console game ports? I'm guessing the Arcade one is the M2 set (and it better have the patch applied) but the console pack may be a different dev, and that's why it's two carts.
As far as we know, M2 handled the entire collection.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

The first Omnibus album is a belter, by the way.

Edit: I signed up to their mailing list and got an email that mentioned the prices. The console collection will be €54.99 and the arcade one will be €39.99. No mention of the price of the collector's edition, though.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Collector's edition is €139.99, which is a bit pricey for me. The artbook does tempt me however.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I certainly can't afford it, but perversely, this puts it in 'reasonable' territory after having been scalped good and proper on the BEEP version. How likely is this to sell out within the first few minutes?
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave_wellington

Post by dave_wellington »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Cozmic_Collection
All these editions has my head spinning a little, so I started a wikipedia page with a table illustrating what games are in what editions. Page could definitely use some work and potentially i've made some mistakes, so feel free to jump in and edit if you see fit.