Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rastan78

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by Rastan78 »

Ghegs wrote:Is there really no way of disabling controller rumble in G-Darius HD (Switch) or am I just somehow not seeing it?
There is. IIRC it's under "other". By where you can adjust the volume etc. Same goes for Darius 2 on the first collection. You're definitely not the only one who missed this lol.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Rastan78 wrote:
Ghegs wrote:Is there really no way of disabling controller rumble in G-Darius HD (Switch) or am I just somehow not seeing it?
There is. IIRC it's under "other". By where you can adjust the volume etc. Same goes for Darius 2 on the first collection. You're definitely not the only one who missed this lol.
Found it, it was Options -> Sound -> Body Sonic Recreation Strength

:|
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Ghegs wrote:Body Sonic Recreation Strength
Wow excellent choice of words. Is someone going to do a tutorial on personal massager padhacks for the Switch now? If you can time things just right with that first 1CC you're in for a real treat. Creepy looking G Darius pilot "Lutia Feen" waifu body pillow not included.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

I think it has such name due to the how the system was named on arcade machines. It's in sound settings because it is actually controlled by sound indeed (You can hear it rather well in this video about Darius II: https://youtu.be/ezpkyTjXBBM?t=162 ) and as in the video, it makes rather silly sounds if just put through the speakers. This still works similarly with DariusBurst AC. In Cozmic Collection, the big explosions sound like they are supposed to sound like when the audio garbage is removed and emulated through controller vibration.

Still, it's a bit silly to be in audio options, rather than in general or controller options even it technically is part of the the audio ...
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

Looks like SLG just pushed back the Collector's Editions yet again, this time to "July/August" :roll:
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

BloodHawk wrote:Looks like SLG just pushed back the Collector's Editions yet again, this time to "July/August" :roll:
Gordon Bennett! At this rate, by the time we get it, our fingers will be too riddled with old age arthritis and we'll be unable to play it.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

The body sonic (this is a name with history! Show some respect! :wink: ) support is one of my favorite features of the two collections. I play this series in the arcades regularly and body sonic is a huge part of the experience. The way they simulated it via the controller was really genius. In ACEX+ the timing and intensity of the rumble is almost exactly the same as the arcade and does an incredible job recreating the "4D" experience of playing on an actual cab. I only switch it off if I'm playing in portable mode.

G Darius never had body sonic support in arcades, but I like how they took the extra effort to add it in for this updated version.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I usually disable rumble in all games, because it tends to be used in dumb ways and I don't like the constant BRRRRRRR in my hands. Even in G-Darius here the largest rumbles seemed to happen in the moments between stages, after the boss has already been defeated and you're choosing/flying off into the next stage. If I ever keep the rumble on it's because it has a useful function (like letting you know when a charge shot is ready, or when there's hidden items nearby, etc), but if it's just for "enhancing the experience" it gets turned right off.

I'm also wary of rumble because once, many moons ago, I played some PS1 game with a first-party PS1 controller, some rumble-event happened and the controller just wouldn't stop rumbling afterwards. At all. I had to turn the the whole system off to make it stop.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

ACSeraph wrote:G Darius never had body sonic support in arcades, but I like how they took the extra effort to add it in for this updated version.
My understanding is that the original arcade G Darius was indeed equipped to rock players' bodies all night long, but only when running on the big screen Teatro 50 cabinet.

Likely Taito saw using these cabs as a makeshift way to replicate the big screen experience Darius fans were used to while also trying to justify the game's insane 200 yen default setting.

If you go through the screen options you can see M2 represented this bit of history with a proper Teatro 50 border art.

Edit: It just dawned on me that I was reading the "recreation" in Body Sonic Recreation as pleasure/enjoyment. They probably meant it as in reproduction/representation LOL. 2 totally different things.

Does anyone familiar with the PCBs know how the body sonic worked? Was there another sound channel on the Jamma harness? Maybe a separate connector directly off the PCB? I'd imagine this could've been different for G Darius as it didn't have a dedicated cab? My uneducated guess is it's just a sound channel coming from the regular JAMMA harness dedicated to extra low frequencies.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I never knew that about G Darius! I'm surprised I've never run into one of those larger cabinets before, I'd love to try one in the flesh. Just makes it that much cooler to have the feature in Revelation.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Took 11 days to move from Deutsche Post and Frankfurt Flughafen
to USPS but SLG PS4 Darius Cozmic Revelation just showed up!

Preliminary investigation indicates the usual M2 master work! :mrgreen:

Dariusburst EX+ seems aptly enough just like Dariusburst PS4, although
G Darius PS4 does seem slightly faster than on Switch...

“Faster” intended to convey relative contrasting differences

Not lag — no sensation of lag on Switch but they feel slightly different (?)

All aspects seem just a twitch or so faster on PS4: shooting speed & fps, etc

Absolutely not a lag savant; please consider the source here:
Veteran very mediocre STG player.

Playing

PS4 Slim (non Pro)
w/ Razer PS4 arcade stick
from SLG Darius Cozmic Revelation disc

vs

Switch
w/ Hori Hayabusa RAP arcade stick
G Darius (not Darius Cozmic Revelation)
digital

Both PS4 and Switch are up to date and most current versions.

For certain PS4 SLG G Darius loading screen is different from Switch G Darius:
at the least it is different artwork; PS4 SLG G Darius initial loading has artwork
that Switch G Darius does not. 110% certain of this fact.

FWIW I picked up Cotton Reboot and G Darius back in February for Switch
from the Japanese eShop. Have enjoyed both immensely!

Anyone else have the sense that the PS4 and Switch versions of G Darius
are (perhaps ever so) slightly different?

Most definitely apples vs oranges here.

My best frame of reference involves still more varied fruits:
Switch vs PC Steam Psykio releases: as incompetent as I am,
I can get two stages farther/further on PC versions across the board
(all Switch Psykio releases vs PC Steam releases).

Please don’t throw sharp or heavy objects @ me! :lol:
Will update as I’m able.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Update:

First and foremost, after many decades of arcade and video game playing,
I believe I have achieved something very close to true platform agnosticism; I absolutely
do not favor any platform (love hardware discussions, specs, etc and definitely
have at least one 6502 permanently etched in my neural net :lol: ): it’s
really all about the games and their performance on various hardware platforms.

I love my Switch and all its beautiful, awesome sexy parts and its shortcomings and warts
—same goes for my PS4 and 360s.

tested G-Darius on Switch and PS4 as described above and added G-Darius
(Ver 2.01J) and Ver.2 (Ver. 2.03J) in MAME setup (old 2012 Mac Mini w/ integrated gpu :| ).

3 straight hours of back-to-back (etc) testing seems to confirm that
PS4 G-Darius (SLG Darius Cozmic Revelation) is a wee bit “faster” or
“quicker” than G-Darius Switch (digital download from Japanese eShop).

MAME versions are both equally zippy and completely kick my ass!
Playing 5 stage option, I haven’t even cleared either branch beyond first stage in MAME!
Not even able to consistently make it to Tripod Sardine or King Fossil! :oops:

I can consistently make it past both Tripod Sardines on Switch & PS4.

The Switch version is amazing and so is the PS4 G-Darius but I can readily discern the differences especially in loading screens both outside of gameplay and within (within meaning loading @ beginning of stages and before boss fights); also stick movement seems a touch faster in all directions on PS4 though perhaps that’s Razer PS4 vs Hori Hayabusa Switch?

MAME plays and feels fastest.

Then PS4 and then Switch.

Switch testing all done docked; all testing done on same ASUS monitor.

PS4 is noticeably faster than Switch in every respect but only by a frame or less;
perhaps cpu operations per millisecond / xOPS or fpu / FLOPS would be more accurate?

MAME has me almost wondering if my MAME setup playing these ROMs is too fast.

Would be very curious to learn of PCB vs MAME considerations and other experiences
playing various versions of console, arcade and emulation G-Darius.

Thank you very much for reading and considering my posts here!
Lengthy posts come w/ need to be specific and sufficiently explained;
I also wish to honor this site and it’s multi variously adept and experts userbase.

PS Definitely know about observer effect, Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle and
quantum mechanics and will readily admit user subjective sensory perceptions
could very well be the source of my sense of “faster” or “quicker”; I’m no Vulcan but do wish all to Live long and prosper!

EDIT: Queen Fossil not King
Last edited by Fingolfin on Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
baconcow

Post by baconcow »

Looking at picking up a Japanese copy of the Darius Cozmic Collection. The store page says it includes Darius, Darius II, SAGAIA, Darius Gaiden. Does anyone know if it include all 7 of the variations that are in the digital (North America) version?

For Darius Cozmic Revelations, does the Japanese version include the Game Boy version of Sagia or is that an exclusive to the Strictly Limited version?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah the Japanese version has all the variations like Darius Old, New and Extra. Just make sure you download the update to get all features like English menus, training mode etc.

GB Sagaia is not on the Japanese Cozmic Revelation. In Japan it came with the first collection but only as some kind of amazon exclusive.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Several questions
(far more Entish than Elvish as you all can see...)

Approximately how PCB accurate is G-Darius MAME considered to be on a 100 point scale? Or rather what’s the consensus with regard to MAME’s accuracy in terms of being true to the PCBs?

(What’s the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?)

Is there an optimal version of MAME for running G-Darius for PCB arcade accuracy?

I ask out of curiosity and a desire to learn.

A MAME FAQ states that Pac-Man no longer is most optimized/optimal on the more/most current versions and that .26 MAME or whatever is best for playing Pac-Man for the best emulation.

https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/FAQ:Performance

(@ very bottom)

More on topic...

Is it possible to use the capture ball to capture the large walking spiders or Tripod Sardine’s or other bosses missiles?

Is it possible to capture all enemies except bosses? What exceptions besides enemy shot/fire are there to using the capture ball?

Any and all anecdotes and details are greatly appreciated!!

I only use superplays sparingly for fear of spoilers! I have used them for CAVE and 8ing/Raizing games but that’s pretty much it and always piecemeal; those developers STGs require much more careful study than what I grew up trying to learn and play. I read the ST and RQ posts here frequently!

Rastan78 has indicated that the later updates of arcade G-Darius were not well received. That is very much appreciated and good to know!!

Thank you very much Rastan78 for all of your sage insights and invaluable posts!!

ACSeraph too! Really appreciate all of your deep insights and thorough explanations!

You guys are so generous with your knowledge and experience!!

Hearty thanks and cheers both!!

Goodwill and thanks to all here!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Cheers Fingolfin. Search for Icarus' video comparing gamespeeds of the different versions. Basically the new port is by far the most accurate. I don't know much about running it in mame, but I'm pretty sure there is no slowdown unless you mess with changing the clock speed. Sound emulation was really bad on older versions until fairly recently. Long story short just stick with your Cozmic Revelation. You get the HD upgrade plus all the extras and the most accurate game speed to the PCB.

As far as what can be captured there is a compendium of all the enemies in the game that can be captured in the menus of the CR port. Ones that you have captured before will be highlighted. It also shows you what zones those enemies can be found in, a diagram of their attack type, and the inputs for the midboss special commands. Yeah this port was really done right.

A little pointless G Darius trivia: The rankings that you can get at the end of your credit range from Iron Duck (the worst) to Golden Hawk (the best). Even if you immediately suicide all three ships without shooting anything you will get Silver Duck, only the second worst ranking. If you want the honor of the coveted Iron Duck ranking then continue and once more suicide all three ships without shooting.
BIL

Post by BIL »

You know you're dealing with a thoroughbred arcade STG when it reserves a booby prize specifically for credit feeders. :cool: (Icarus's superb comparison thread)
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Thank you very much Rastan78!

As always very illuminating!!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

So the Darius Gaiden port on Cozmic Collection had a lot of major issues on release before a big patch got it fixed up. One of the most egregious was that often bomb inputs would not register in the heat of the moment. Been working on some casual clears of routes I'm not that familiar with and bombing more often during runs. I'd say while much more rare, I've encountered this issue even after the patch. It's not an issue of input lag causing the bomb to come out late resulting in a death, it's completely depressing the B button and having nothing come out whatsoever. Total dropped input.

Anyone else run into this? Seems to happen more during heavy slowdown. It's unlikely, but maybe this can happen on PCB/MAME as well? Can't recall off the top of my head if this port allows autofire on B button, but that might be a workaround, giving more inputs and frames to possibly trigger a bomb.

Edit: Did a little testing and couldn't reproduce this so it could just as well be human error, controller error or paranoia induced by bad memories of playing prepatch. Still curious to see if anyone else comes across this though.
baconcow

Post by baconcow »

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but I hope this leak is correct. G Darius HD standalone physical would be excellent.

https://twitter.com/IOwnMyGames/status/ ... 4195917825
DEL

Post by DEL »

Just a little heads up.
If anyone has this collection, I opened up a high score thread for EX+ a little while back.
If you find the collection too expensive, you can always set up a Japanese email address and link it to the Japanese eshop and buy EX+ for about 40.
I've been chatting to Japanese player Sei-Dragon who has EX+ on the PS4. Seems like the online Rankings are not shared between the Switch and PS4. But this doesn't matter. The missions are the same. All scores can be slotted in without a fuss.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

“For What It’s Worth”
(FWIW)

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the men come and take you away....

*** “men” meaning “The Man” or “The System”

“Almost Cut My Hair”

Must be because I had a flu for Christmas
And I'm not feeling up to par
It increases my paranoia
Like looking at my mirror and seeing a police car
But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it to someone....

I agree Rastan78: I wondered about the two versions of Darius Cozmic Collection, specifically with regard to Darius Gaiden versions, hence my previous post.

I remember members of M2 discussing that emulation of Battle Garegga 2016 was starting to push the limits w/ regard to proper and effective emulation on PS4.

My experience w/ both Switch and PS4 Cozmic Collection seems identical except with Gaiden and both run really well but perhaps with ever so slight and subtle moments of slowdown. I remember the Saturn version of Gaiden being excellent but I haven’t played anything besides Darius and Sagia on arcade hardware along time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Thank you and cheers to all the good folks here!

EDIT for clarification and slightly expanding on my original post
EDIT 2 for a well deserved thanks to shmups.system11 community
bcass

Post by bcass »

@ACSeraph and @Rastan78

Can I direct your attention to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68775

Fingolfin mentioned that you might be able to help identify the source of a piece of Darius-related art.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Graaahh!

Strictly Limited have just today push back the release of the PS4 and NSW Darius Cozmic Revelation CEs to September now.

Now you might think it would be to include the summer planned release of G Darius ver.2 on disc, but then they have released the standard non-CE copies, so I doubt that's the reason. Really frustrating, what with this and the very much delayed Turrican release so I will unfortunately be much more wary of buying from them again.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

No, it's probably delays on the side of whomever is manufacturing all the extras. The more stuff in a package, the more likely one thing hitting a problem delays the whole thing - and we are still in a global pandemic which is hurting small operations big time. I don't know what blacklisting them would achieve, maybe stick to regular editions if you don't want to risk too many delays? They've got the games out of the door in the end - and sometimes with bonuses that can be slipped in.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:No, it's probably delays on the side of whomever is manufacturing all the extras. The more stuff in a package, the more likely one thing hitting a problem delays the whole thing - and we are still in a global pandemic which is hurting small operations big time. I don't know what blacklisting them would achieve, maybe stick to regular editions if you don't want to risk too many delays? They've got the games out of the door in the end - and sometimes with bonuses that can be slipped in.
I agree with all you said, and to be fair I only plan to be WARY of what I get from them in future. If something good and very much exclusive comes up, I'll probably still use them; but if there are other options elsewhere with a much faster proven record, then I will think twice.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Didn't preorder this, but I'm looking to buy the collection with both GDarius HD and EX+ in it for PS4. Strictly Ltd's website says its still a preorder, but then people like BrianC are saying they've received their copies. Is this out yet or what?
Exactly one month later and I got my first GDarius 1CC! [λ] route. Played this a lot during the PS1 era but never seriously, the quick saves really helped me make short work of this. ACEX+ was just a bonus, probably better off playing on my PC, I cant deal with the letterbox format sat all the way across the room on the couch. I'm currently ranked 17th on one of the boss missions in event mode. Is no one else playing?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Didn't preorder this, but I'm looking to buy the collection with both GDarius HD and EX+ in it for PS4. Strictly Ltd's website says its still a preorder, but then people like BrianC are saying they've received their copies. Is this out yet or what?
Exactly one month later and I got my first GDarius 1CC! [λ] route. Played this a lot during the PS1 era but never seriously, the quick saves really helped me make short work of this. ACEX+ was just a bonus, probably better off playing on my PC, I cant deal with the letterbox format sat all the way across the room on the couch. I'm currently ranked 17th on one of the boss missions in event mode. Is no one else playing?
I think there will be more players once ACEX+ is released digitally in the west in few weeks. I'm personally waiting until that. G-Darius HD hasn't still gotten a digital release date in the west I believe.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

John4300 wrote:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
I think there will be more players once ACEX+ is released digitally in the west in few weeks. I'm personally waiting until that. G-Darius HD hasn't still gotten a digital release date in the west I believe.
Sounds like it's coming soon along with a physical stand alone release.

https://twitter.com/ININ_Games/status/1 ... 12486?s=20
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Dariusburst ACEX+ got released in west now. 40€ is kind of a salty price for it, the port is rather barebones with no background art or widgets. I kinda accepted that on Chronicle Saviours as AC mode is bit of an extra (And you could play that with two screens), but here the black borders are a bit silly. Happily, the game is now fully translated, even including those flavor texts on the loading screen, which is neat stuff.

Also, menus are kind of barebones too. Took me a while to notice you can scroll down for more options. There's no main menu, the game boots directly to the AC mode. You can watch the trailer from the options menu, but that's it.

Also, ranking screen feels a bit clunky at the moment too. It could really use some work. I don't know how it actually expands and how usable it is with more people, as there are only under 50 people on the high score lists so far.

Unless Murakumo is your favorite ship and you really want to get your hands on the extra event mode missions, I would recommend buying DariusBurst CS on Steam or PS4 (It's even on sale pretty commonly). I don't think the "Ghost Score" feature or even rumble adds THAT much to the game. The rumble is actually really low even on the maxium setting! The cabinet could be heard far away even on lower rumble settings. :D

Happily, the game itself runs well (I think it lags less on boss explosions and loads faster on Switch than on PC, ironically) and is still a blast to play. I just wish they would fleshen out the menu system and such in a patch.

The game still uses virtual cabinets similar to CS on PC/PS4 to emulate progress in the chronicle mode made together.

Changes to CS I've noticed so far to recap them:
- Murakumo as playable ship (Previously available in Chronicle Saviour's single screen mode)
- Event mode unlocked (With old events and brand new events)
- Rumble feature emulating the rumble seat on the arcade cabinet
- Replay feature (But I couldn't figure out if you could see replays of other players, only your own replays)
- Ghost Score feature (A "Ghost Score" is updated in real time near your current score, but you can only select top player in the world or your own best score on the route)
- Loading screen facts about bosses and gameplay mechanics are now translated
- Each route is now on their own scoreboard, so BFK and CFK have their own scoreboards for example. On CS, scoreboards are based on the final stage played, not by route.