Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:Man I finally got that jellyfish, but I started from a save state on the 2nd level. I'd been practicing this way to avoid boredom on the first level. Then I suddenly found myself getting a no miss up until the last boss. Then had plenty of lives and bombs to finish him off. But now I have to do it over again from the beginning for the 1cc to count! lol
Best way to practice imo. Cut out the safe stuff and concentrate on what's stopping you, then move on once you're confident in your solutions and repeat. Been having a good time with Trigon and Image Fight's loops recently, having long since bagged the 1-ALLs. Even a single savestate is an unheard of luxury for a DECO Dad used to his Arcade Gears and Deluxe Packs Image
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

https://imgur.com/a/lPZhTdv

Got it on my first try doing a full run. Got 7M. Score could be a lot better just from doing well on the last boss, but i was super nervous going full panic bomb mode.

Edit: Just posted a link to the pic bc I can't get the embed to work for some reason :oops:
Last edited by Rastan78 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That embed doesn't work, but a new tab shows me your excellent achievement. Congratulations Rastan, on pulling it off! Did you lose a whole bunch of your lives to Curious Chandelier?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Darn maybe I can fix the pic. Yeah I died twice on chandelier. Both stupid deaths. I just bombed straight through that scary pattern where he lobs all of his tentacles at you. Also had a random death on Zone U and only got 3 captures. Lots of room to improve!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Cool. Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to this one.

Are they doing a Japan eShop release or cart only at first?

Edit: answered my own question. Each game will be available separately on the eshop for 4,180 yen.

This is cool with me as the collection is pricey and I really only want G Darius.

The option for original low resolution graphics will be there on G Darius. Playing low resolution with scan lines might end up being a good way to play depending on how the high res polys and low res fonts and 2d elements gel together in HD. I can't imagine they redrew the hud etc. In higher res.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Looks like they are also doing a limited time exclusive release of Darius (Mega Drive ver.), as a download code, if you buy the big version from Amazon.jp on Prime Day.

It is much like they did with Cozmic Collection and Sagaia (Gameboy)... which became readily available to buy later on right, RIGHT!?

(bastards)
KAI

Post by KAI »

They showed some footage from the 1st stage on this stream a few hours ago
https://youtu.be/bclhNpnFqt8?t=936

the redesigned ship looks awesome

The game is (sadly) running at 1:1 the arcade speed. Hope they include some options to get rid of those massive slowdowns the original game had.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

KAI wrote:The game is (sadly) running at 1:1 the arcade speed. Hope they include some options to get rid of those massive slowdowns the original game had.
I think this is a good thing. M2 usually take the time to adjust the game speed since most original arcade hardware works at some odd refresh slightly below 60 hz. They skip frames or whatever they have to do to get it to match.

Looks like they are treating the low res version and the HD remake as separate titles at the select screen. Maybe this means the HD version will have other changes like removed slowdown and separate leaderboards?
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Is the Japanese version up for pre-order anywhere?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Nice to see an arm indicator for G. If theyre not going to optimise the game for 16:9, the they could at least move all the on-screen indicators off to the side. I remember you could turn them all off on PS1.

Nice new tune for EX+. Is this a stage from event mode? I've never seen it anywhere else.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

They're available now, Johnpv, but if you're outside Japan you might need to set up a proxy address with Blackship or similar unless you want to pay 20,000 yen in shipping, which Amazon are genuinely asking. I went for this package, which claims to include the physical MD cart for Darius Extra Version but doesn't show it, so I'm just hoping for the best (and will pick up the Columbus Circle cart next year, just in case). There seem to be a lot of other packages on the Amazon site, all priced differently and nearly all mentioning both the cart and the DLC, except for the most expensive one, which appears not to come with the cart. It's pretty confusing and I'm not entirely sure all the info is correct, or in the right place. Taito, please, my head's gone and my family are starving...

Edit: Columbus Circle preorders are up!
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Ugh I really wish I had a proxy buyer.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Klatrymadon wrote: I went for this package, which claims to include the physical MD cart for Darius Extra Version but doesn't show it, so I'm just hoping for the best (and will pick up the Columbus Circle cart next year, just in case).
The Ebten limited version of the Mega Drive cart shows up on this article.

https://dengekionline.com/articles/53227/

I preordered the non-Ebten MD cartridge off amazon.co.jp.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

I got the BEEP version - https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/d ... uHP8UhvmXU

They're also selling the MD cart with 2 covers - https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/d ... znKTGHBJ5Y
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Cheers, pablumatic - the price differences shown confirm I've ordered the right version of the LE (albeit via a different link), but I wouldn't be surprised if some importers ended up a bit disappointed next year...
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I ended up just pre-ordering the basic release, and not any of the limited edition ones. It seems since the one with the DLC is a Prime exclusive if you don't have Prime for Amazon Jpn it costs 200 bucks to ship lol. I guess that's one way to limit it to Prime people. My regular edition was just the regular shipping price.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

The LE's shipping is that expensive even if you're using Prime, so it could be a deliberate measure to dissuade importers. Hoping I don't get burned too much by Blackship!

Lot of interesting tidbits about the development of the MD Extra Version and the possibility of more Darius games from GSK.
Majima_Kai

Post by Majima_Kai »

Bought the Famitsu DX Pack from Hobby Genki, before i was using nin nin but no more, HG have better price for this kind of collector, same for Aleste.
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

Johnpv wrote: It seems since the one with the DLC is a Prime exclusive if you don't have Prime for Amazon Jpn it costs 200 bucks to ship lol. I guess that's one way to limit it to Prime people. My regular edition was just the regular shipping price.
I talked to an Amazon JP CS rep yesterday and was told the stupid expensive shipping price is a placeholder for when they don't have product information from the supplier.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

apatheticTurd wrote:
Johnpv wrote: It seems since the one with the DLC is a Prime exclusive if you don't have Prime for Amazon Jpn it costs 200 bucks to ship lol. I guess that's one way to limit it to Prime people. My regular edition was just the regular shipping price.
I talked to an Amazon JP CS rep yesterday and was told the stupid expensive shipping price is a placeholder for when they don't have product information from the supplier.
hmm interesting guess I can throw a pre-order on that as well and always cancel it later if it doesn't drop the shipping.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I hope I'm not too late but I am legitimately confused by the different editions being offered and which to pick. I'd like the CD/artbook, but don't want to get screwed paying for a Genesis cart I'll never use.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Unless you want the Japanese version of Cozmic Revelation, I'd get the English version offered from strictlylimitedgames.com even if they have horrible shipping times. Their collector's editions don't have a MD cart and they're about $164 USD before shipping.
Majima_Kai

Post by Majima_Kai »

Hello, i bought my Darius Cozmic Liberation from here https://hobby-genki.com/fr/playstation- ... ition.html, fair price for this kind of collector. Long time i didnt buy/play a shmup, couple of year when i went to Japan and play in game center, im certainly too old for thos but well haha.
CRP

Post by CRP »

pablumatic wrote:Unless you want the Japanese version of Cozmic Revelation, I'd get the English version offered from strictlylimitedgames.com even if they have horrible shipping times.....
Yes i rather wait and get all the jap patches on cart.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

pablumatic wrote:Unless you want the Japanese version of Cozmic Revelation, I'd get the English version offered from strictlylimitedgames.com even if they have horrible shipping times. Their collector's editions don't have a MD cart and they're about $164 USD before shipping.
I was thinking about getting the special/collectors edition of the Japanese version due to it coming out months earlier than the planned SLG shipping date, but after getting the Collectors Edition of Cozmic Collection from SLG I thought the translated Odyssey book was very nice (and hardcover too). So I went ahead and pre-ordered the Collectors Edition from SLG for Revelation too. Worse comes to worst if I can't wait I can always just buy the base Japanese game to hold me over until the SLG version arrives, then sell the Japanese version on Ebay for cheap...
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Strictly Limited Games are doing a cart run of the Mega Drive version of Darius, not open for pre-order yet though it seems. Don't hate on them for shipping issues this year please. covid has made things tough for shipping to certain regions and it's not trivial for a small company to work around without incurring significant costs.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Strictly Limited Games are doing a cart run of the Mega Drive version of Darius, not open for pre-order yet though it seems. Don't hate on them for shipping issues this year please. covid has made things tough for shipping to certain regions and it's not trivial for a small company to work around without incurring significant costs.
Well said.
The wait for the Cozmic Collection was indeed quite long, but understandable given the circumstances. The collection itself was magnificent so I went for the LE of Cozmic Revelation without a second thought. Great to hear Darius Extra MD is getting a release outside of Japan, though I might have to check my Megadrive still works. A PS4 (and Switch) version would be even better in my opinion, but I'll take what they are offering.
KAI

Post by KAI »

There's a new hires screenshot posted on a Famitsu article, the game looks really sharp
Spoiler

and here's the same screen from the original version
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Strictly Limited Games are doing a cart run of the Mega Drive version of Darius, not open for pre-order yet though it seems. Don't hate on them for shipping issues this year please. covid has made things tough for shipping to certain regions and it's not trivial for a small company to work around without incurring significant costs.
This is a physical version of the game that was on Genesis mini?