Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by BrianC »

I hope Super Darius 2 PCE CD is in.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Another Cozmic collection? Okay.

Now Taito/Square/M2/somebody needs to look into making a new Darius game using new, non-PSP game assets.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

So is it just me or does Super Nova have some serious input lag?
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
FRO

Post by FRO »

BrianC wrote:I hope Super Darius 2 PCE CD is in.
Would be cool if they included that, Sagaia SMS, or even something like Darius R. Why not just throw everything in there? And while they're at it, sneak Metal Black on there :lol:
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Sagaia SMS is on the first collection. Super Darius II really needs to happen though I agree.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I played some more of version 2 of Sagaia and was surprised to see enemy and boss patterns that aren't in any other version of the game. I was not expecting that attack from Alloy Lantern.
GSK

Post by GSK »

FRO wrote:
Would be cool if they included that, Sagaia SMS, or even something like Darius R. Why not just throw everything in there? And while they're at it, sneak Metal Black on there :lol:
Darius R is never happening, not just because it's widely regarded as kusoge but because the contractor straight up stuck a Fantasy Zone song on one of the boss fights.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

GSK wrote:
FRO wrote:
Darius R is never happening, not just because it's widely regarded as kusoge but because the contractor straight up stuck a Fantasy Zone song on one of the boss fights.
Never say never again. An OST is something that can be easily changed for whatever reason if the copyrights it is something that prevent it from being rereleased or something. Look Sega how they changed Crazy Taxi’s music on Xbox Live arcade years ago due to the lack of licensed offspring music.
Anyway it depends on what Taito really wants to milk people with.
GSK

Post by GSK »

You can flip that with, say, Sonic 3, which is conspicuously absent from all Sega's recent legacy initiatives for reasons related to the music.

Again, the primary factor is Darius R sucks ass and there's no demand for it outside of people who just want thorough representation. Taito doesn't need it to milk people, they'll do that regardless of what they do or don't include.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

GSK wrote:Darius R sucks ass
There's no denying this; R is really garbage. I wouldn't mind having it for completions sake, but I wouldn't shed any tears if it was missing either.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

GSK wrote:You can flip that with, say, Sonic 3, which is conspicuously absent from all Sega's recent legacy initiatives for reasons related to the music.

Again, the primary factor is Darius R sucks ass and there's no demand for it outside of people who just want thorough representation. Taito doesn't need it to milk people, they'll do that regardless of what they do or don't include.
Don’t need to be that rude. Though I agree that R is garbage, for a 5 minutes play on the go it was fine 15 years ago, and from a collection point of view just as other stated would complete the full collection if all the remaining titles are included.
On a side note, Sonic 3 not only has copy rights issues with its soundtrack, can’t remember it very well but there were other legal problems with the game itself that has kept Sega away of rerelease it again.
May be the last film might let the miracle happen XD
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Was there a special reason why Darius Gaiden Extra was left out? Is it considered unofficial?

One thing that is promising is that Sonic 2 on Switch has Sonic 2 & Knuckles with it, though that doesn't necessarily guarantee a M2 port of Sonic 3.

My guesses at included games in the second collection:
G. Darius ver 1 and 2
Darius Burst AC/EX
Metal Black
Super Darius PCE CD
Super Darius 2 PCE CD
Darius Burst PSP
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I'd be surprised if Dariusburst AC Ex was included in a collection given the current price of the game.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
yasman

Post by yasman »

https://ニンテンドースイッチ.com/chat/77416/

Hideki Kamiya - Director of Devil May Cry & Bayonetta Criticize Darius Cozmic Collection.
:D
FRO

Post by FRO »

@ACSeraph - thanks for the confirmation, I wasn't aware Sagaia SMS is on the first collection. When the PS4 version ships, I guess I'll have that to look forward to. Anyone know if Sagaia SMS has FM sound?

@GSK - I didn't know that Darius R had a Fantasy Zone song as a boss fight. That's a curious inclusion. But yeah, that can be changed. The PSP Parodius collection had music changed, so it's possible. My thing with Darius R is, as ACSeraph said, more of a completion thing, rather than something most of us would want to play, other than for curiosity's sake. It would make the collections more historically interesting, if nothing else.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Sagaia SMS only has the PSG soundtrack.
BurlyHeart wrote:I'd be surprised if Dariusburst AC Ex was included in a collection given the current price of the game.
Hey, Taito sold the first collection for hundreds of dollars, right?

These new widgets:
Seeing the rank counter in Darius Gaiden shoot up, even after death...

Seeing how many power-ups each stage has on the slick new route map at the pause screen of every game
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sagaia SMS never had FM.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

How is SMS Sagaia on this? The only extended footage I can find is a Japanese player savescumming while the game appears to break up when the real SMS would just choke with slowdown. Can't tell if it's the recording process, the player using a slowmo button or genuinely the emulation is dodgy.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

What do you mean by "break up"? Many real SMS games flicker quite a bit (bubble bubble and double dragon being prime examples of this).
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

This video:

https://youtu.be/_qTqlgREz7g

Pretty much immediately stutters and all sorts, but the player's also savescumming so hard to tell what else they're doing. It definitely doesn't do it on a real SMS, it chokes a lot with slowdown and flicker but the audio and picture never break up like that.

I'm considering the console edition when the Western release is out, but not if the emulation is knackered like that.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Looks like he's manually pausing constantly (the equalivant of pressing the sms pause button). Too bad there isn't a better video available of the version in the darius collection. Also, I have only played sms Sagaia via flashcart on genesis and on pc via emu. I only have the standard version of the JP cosmic collection.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I don't know what the hell's going on in that video, but no it doesn't run like that. I 1cc-ed the switch version and it ran fine. It does do some Sprite flickering when things get really busy, but that is standard fare for 8-bit games. I'd make a video, but unfortunately I have no way to do so on my switch.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Very much to be expected at this point, but here's a heads-up from a Strictly Limited email regarding their revised Cozmic Collection:
DARIUS - Besides awaiting approvals from different parties involved in this release, some contents are affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. We're probably looking at a May/June date for your pre-order to be sent out.
heli

Post by heli »

"some contents are affected by the COVID-19 outbreak"

It is not a computer virus ?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Production of physical items still involves factories, frequently located in China.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Shouldn't they have started preparing Darius before the coronavirus even began?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

steveovig wrote:Shouldn't they have started preparing Darius before the coronavirus even began?
The first cases were in December. We're into 3 months of severe manufacturing disruptions.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Ms. Tea wrote:
steveovig wrote:Shouldn't they have started preparing Darius before the coronavirus even began?
The first cases were in December. We're into 3 months of severe manufacturing disruptions.
In fact we do not know when were te first ones since China it is so elusive when it comes to give public information. I would not be surprised if they detected it long before.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:This video:

https://youtu.be/_qTqlgREz7g

Pretty much immediately stutters and all sorts, but the player's also savescumming so hard to tell what else they're doing. It definitely doesn't do it on a real SMS, it chokes a lot with slowdown and flicker but the audio and picture never break up like that.

I'm considering the console edition when the Western release is out, but not if the emulation is knackered like that.
It looks like he's pause buffering (probably turbo on a third party controller, or a HRAP), and simultaneously reloading savestates whenever he dies.

I don't get it though, surely loading saves nullifies scores, uploading, and replays, right? So there isn't really any point to playing like this.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Elixir wrote:I don't get it though, surely loading saves nullifies scores, uploading, and replays, right? So there isn't really any point to playing like this.
He probably wants to "beat" the game :roll: