Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
minion

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by minion »

ACSeraph wrote:Thanks for the info and links Rastan78, really good stuff!

There still seems to be a little confusion surrounding ACEX+ and what content is included, so let me clear something up:

ACEX+ does not include Chronicle Saviors mode or any of the bonus (DLC) content associated with it.

Chronicle Saviors is really a separate game from ACEX that reuses a lot of the same assets and happens to include a bare bones port of ACEX.

Cozmic Revelation's ACEX+ is specifically an upgraded port of the arcade game. It includes AC mode, EX mode, and Chronicle Mode. Chronicle Mode is NOT the same as Chronicle Saviors mode, despite the confusing naming. ACEX Chronicle mode is a mission mode that was featured in the original arcade release.

The "plus" portion of ACEX+ refers to the new features in Revelation, namely a new-ish ship available in all modes (Murakumo), Event Mode, and body sonic rumble support. Event mode features a series of special courses that were originally playable in arcades for a limited time circa 2012-2013. New to ACEX+ are a series of all-new EX events. I haven't played through many of these yet, but about half of them are actually boss training simulators for the hardest fights in the game. It's a way to practice things like GTV and Dreadful Whip. For me this is a huge feature and a big selling point of the new port.

But again to reiterate, these new features come at the expense of the extremely content heavy CS mode, so you cannot call ACEX+ the definitive version. If you were only going to get one version of ACEX, I think CS is probably the better choice, but for serious players who can afford both I do think ACEX+ is a worthy purchase (especially purchased alongside the excellent G Darius HD). Whether CS mode could eventually be patched in is anyone's guess, but I would wager the answer is no, and I think it is best to judge the port on what is currently being offered here and now.
This post answered a bunch of questions, thanks.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I think CS is probably the better choice, but for serious players who can afford both I do think ACEX+ is a worthy purchase (especially purchased alongside the excellent G Darius HD)

I own both and really never regretted it at all. As stated, CS adds a ton of content (and is often $20 on Steam), and the Switch version includes the (still) incredibly awesome G.
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

minion wrote:
ACSeraph wrote:Thanks for the info and links Rastan78, really good stuff!

There still seems to be a little confusion surrounding ACEX+ and what content is included, so let me clear something up:

ACEX+ does not include Chronicle Saviors mode or any of the bonus (DLC) content associated with it.

Chronicle Saviors is really a separate game from ACEX that reuses a lot of the same assets and happens to include a bare bones port of ACEX.

Cozmic Revelation's ACEX+ is specifically an upgraded port of the arcade game. It includes AC mode, EX mode, and Chronicle Mode. Chronicle Mode is NOT the same as Chronicle Saviors mode, despite the confusing naming. ACEX Chronicle mode is a mission mode that was featured in the original arcade release.

The "plus" portion of ACEX+ refers to the new features in Revelation, namely a new-ish ship available in all modes (Murakumo), Event Mode, and body sonic rumble support. Event mode features a series of special courses that were originally playable in arcades for a limited time circa 2012-2013. New to ACEX+ are a series of all-new EX events. I haven't played through many of these yet, but about half of them are actually boss training simulators for the hardest fights in the game. It's a way to practice things like GTV and Dreadful Whip. For me this is a huge feature and a big selling point of the new port.

But again to reiterate, these new features come at the expense of the extremely content heavy CS mode, so you cannot call ACEX+ the definitive version. If you were only going to get one version of ACEX, I think CS is probably the better choice, but for serious players who can afford both I do think ACEX+ is a worthy purchase (especially purchased alongside the excellent G Darius HD). Whether CS mode could eventually be patched in is anyone's guess, but I would wager the answer is no, and I think it is best to judge the port on what is currently being offered here and now.
This post answered a bunch of questions, thanks.
I also want to echo this. Thanks for the summary!

Am I right in saying the PSP game is it's own separate thing also? It would have been nice to get that collected on here as I think it's the only major entry that these collections missed.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

dmk1198 wrote:Are there no new music tracks on acex+?
Actually there are! EX Event Mode features new music and it's pretty great. I just 1cc-ed the first of 3 new courses tonight and really enjoyed it.
m.sniffles.esq wrote:I own both
A fellow man of culture 8)
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

ACSeraph wrote:
dmk1198 wrote:Are there no new music tracks on acex+?
Actually there are! EX Event Mode features new music and it's pretty great. I just 1cc-ed the first of 3 new courses tonight and really enjoyed it.
m.sniffles.esq wrote:I own both
A fellow man of culture 8)
Good stuff that band tunkara is it
On Spotify now
Super jazz funky in parts

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

I just wanna ask a question about G Darius HD, and I'm sorry if this has already been asked. Do M2's gadgets in this version display a health bar for the bosses? I have all gadgets set to ON, and I don't see one. I have had a rum, though. Is it on the actual game screen? Am I talking out of my arse? Please put me straight.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

There is no boss health gauge. Since they're working on an update I would not be surprised at all if they add this. It would be one of the most useful gadgets you could have in G Darius. If they add a life gauge for your captured midboss and a reminder of the SF2 style input for their special attack, that would bring it more in line with Darius Gaiden on Cozmic Collection. For that one it took a patch to get some of the most important gadgets as well.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Thanks, man. It would be awesome if that gets added in. I'm finding some these boss fights long as hell, and I'd like to know where I stand in the middle of them!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

If you want to go for quick kills on the bosses the alpha beam counter is definitely your best friend. They're usually pretty good about sending you a small enemy that can be captured not long before the boss will fire up his beam. Also don't forget how much damage getting some close up missiles can add.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Darius Cozmic Revelation arrived. Odd thing is that the three games in it show up as separate games when the cart is inserted. Sagaia still has some Japanese text in the menus.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Personally hate that. Space Invaders Invincible was like that as well (with Arkanoid vs Space Invaders, yuck). I find it really aesthetically displeasing for some reason. Would have went with the Japanese version had i known (since I dont care about Sagaia GB).
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Special World wrote:Personally hate that. Space Invaders Invincible was like that as well (with Arkanoid vs Space Invaders, yuck). I find it really aesthetically displeasing for some reason. Would have went with the Japanese version had i known (since I dont care about Sagaia GB).
The Japanese version is the same unfortunately.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ACSeraph wrote:
Special World wrote:Personally hate that. Space Invaders Invincible was like that as well (with Arkanoid vs Space Invaders, yuck). I find it really aesthetically displeasing for some reason. Would have went with the Japanese version had i known (since I dont care about Sagaia GB).
The Japanese version is the same unfortunately.
JP version had a seperate code, though. I heard the SLG Invincible Collection doesn't need a code for the game? The SLG Darius Cozmic Revelations actually shows three separate games when the cart is inserted. No need for a code.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I just meant the games show up separately on the home screen. The Japanese version of Cozmic Revelation doesn't include GB Sagaia at all so far as I know. The code for GB Sagaia was given out exclusively for amazon.jp preorders of Cozmic Collection a few years back. I bought CC from BEEP so I never received one.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Is there a way to check my own score on the rankings in Burst, or is it just worldwide top 10 only?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

You can check your own score but you have to complete the 1cc for the score to register in the rankings.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ACSeraph wrote:I just meant the games show up separately on the home screen. The Japanese version of Cozmic Revelation doesn't include GB Sagaia at all so far as I know. The code for GB Sagaia was given out exclusively for amazon.jp preorders of Cozmic Collection a few years back. I bought CC from BEEP so I never received one.
yeah, I heard about the Amazon preorder thing. Which is why Sagaia has menus more like the first Cozmic Collection. The difference with Arkanoid vs SI being a code is that it can be played directly off the system, when the games in Cozmic Revelation and the SLG Invincible Collection (AFAIK) still need the card in the system.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

steveovig wrote:Is there a way to check my own score on the rankings in Burst, or is it just worldwide top 10 only?
Lol, I may never get my score registered.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

steveovig wrote:
steveovig wrote:Is there a way to check my own score on the rankings in Burst, or is it just worldwide top 10 only?
Lol, I may never get my score registered.
You having trouble with the 1cc? I could record and commentate a quick ADH survival guide for you if you want. What ship do you use?
BigGaming

Post by BigGaming »

Is there any info out there about what the actual content of each Event stage is? Like what bosses/conditions each have? The game doesn't give you any info and I'd like to know what's in each level, especially the new ones exclusive to EX+
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Dariusburst PS4 £19.99 sale

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

BigGaming wrote:Is there any info out there about what the actual content of each Event stage is? Like what bosses/conditions each have? The game doesn't give you any info and I'd like to know what's in each level, especially the new ones exclusive to EX+
I think it's intentional to keep it exciting, similar to how Chronicle Mode usually won't tell you anything about the later stages.

I've actually 1cc-ed all of them at this point except the AC's Extra mission, so I can give you a vague rundown.

First off on the EX mission side there are 8 missions. 3 of them are essentially practice modes for Phantom Castle (I think it's Phantom...), Deadly Whip, and G.T.V. These are really great if you are trying to learn the arcade mode 1ccs. There are also two more missions that are mini boss rushes with 5 bosses each. I forget the exact details but the one on the top row is pretty easy, whereas the bottom one is pretty difficult since it ends with Deadly Whip.

The three other EX missions are essentially new courses to 1cc. The first one on the top left (Cosmic Graveyard 1 I think? I'm not sure of the English name) Is three new stages with all new music ending in G.T. It's a really fun course, highly recommended. The course below it is essentially a more difficult version that ends with Savage Ruler. The last course on the bottom right is more of an endurance course, with way more stages than usual. I forget the exact number, something like 7 stages plus bosses. The final boss of that one is a little bit of a curve ball, so I won't spoil that for you.

Next, the AC mission side. Basically the Silverhawk Cups are a series of 3 stage 3 boss missions that get progressively harder depending on the cup. They usually end with whatever boss you see in the event picture. The Fossil Cups are pretty easy and usually just have you do a single stage before fighting the bosses pictured. The other two cups (forgot the name) are structured similarly to the Silverhawk Cups but soundtracks from the older games.

Finally, the odd mission out on the far right of the screen. This is the only one I haven't cleared, because it's absolutely brutal. It's a boss rush pitting you against one version of every boss in the game. The last 5 are the final bosses of Arcade EX: Savage Ruler, Dual Spin, Deadly Whip, Slash Shell, and finally G.T.V.. That rogues gallery alone probably sounds very intimidating to the average player, but there's more. For the duration of the entire 20 minute plus run, they one give you a single green shield. You basically have to be a near perfect player to clear it, even with Murakumo it's viciously hard.

Edit: I forgot to mention, there is one other mission on the AC side. I forget which one, but in order to pass it and register a score you must complete it via 2P coop. You can play through it in single player, but you will not be able to register a score. The other missions are all either score or time attacks, and you only need to 1cc them to complete them.
BigGaming

Post by BigGaming »

ACSeraph wrote:
BigGaming wrote:Is there any info out there about what the actual content of each Event stage is? Like what bosses/conditions each have? The game doesn't give you any info and I'd like to know what's in each level, especially the new ones exclusive to EX+
I think it's intentional to keep it exciting, similar to how Chronicle Mode usually won't tell you anything about the later stages.

I've actually 1cc-ed all of them at this point except the AC's Extra mission, so I can give you a vague rundown.

First off on the EX mission side there are 8 missions. 3 of them are essentially practice modes for Phantom Castle (I think it's Phantom...), Deadly Whip, and G.T.V. These are really great if you are trying to learn the arcade mode 1ccs. There are also two more missions that are mini boss rushes with 5 bosses each. I forget the exact details but the one on the top row is pretty easy, whereas the bottom one is pretty difficult since it ends with Deadly Whip.

The three other EX missions are essentially new courses to 1cc. The first one on the top left (Cosmic Graveyard 1 I think? I'm not sure of the English name) Is three new stages with all new music ending in G.T. It's a really fun course, highly recommended. The course below it is essentially a more difficult version that ends with Savage Ruler. The last course on the bottom right is more of an endurance course, with way more stages than usual. I forget the exact number, something like 7 stages plus bosses. The final boss of that one is a little bit of a curve ball, so I won't spoil that for you.

Next, the AC mission side. Basically the Silverhawk Cups are a series of 3 stage 3 boss missions that get progressively harder depending on the cup. They usually end with whatever boss you see in the event picture. The Fossil Cups are pretty easy and usually just have you do a single stage before fighting the bosses pictured. The other two cups (forgot the name) are structured similarly to the Silverhawk Cups but soundtracks from the older games.

Finally, the odd mission out on the far right of the screen. This is the only one I haven't cleared, because it's absolutely brutal. It's a boss rush pitting you against one version of every boss in the game. The last 5 are the final bosses of Arcade EX: Savage Ruler, Dual Spin, Deadly Whip, Slash Shell, and finally G.T.V.. That rogues gallery alone probably sounds very intimidating to the average player, but there's more. For the duration of the entire 20 minute plus run, they one give you a single green shield. You basically have to be a near perfect player to clear it, even with Murakumo it's viciously hard.

Edit: I forgot to mention, there is one other mission on the AC side. I forget which one, but in order to pass it and register a score you must complete it via 2P coop. You can play through it in single player, but you will not be able to register a score. The other missions are all either score or time attacks, and you only need to 1cc them to complete them.
Wow yeah that answered my question perfectly, thank you! I'm still pretty new so a lot of these missions sound WAY past my skill level. I'll probably stick to original mode for now until I get better.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Didn't preorder this, but I'm looking to buy the collection with both GDarius HD and EX+ in it for PS4. Strictly Ltd's website says its still a preorder, but then people like BrianC are saying they've received their copies. Is this out yet or what?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Yes, they started dispatching the standard Switch edition a couple of weeks ago. They just started sending out the standard Ps4 version in the past week (I think mine's due in the next couple of days). I'm also under the impression they had a slight delay with the special editions, but they'll likely ship very, very soon.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Standard editions are shipping for Switch at least (mine arrived last week, UK and post-brexit customs in all its shitstorm glory), someone has asked the same question on their Twitter and the PS4 versions are being sent out as of last week.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Okay thanks. I grabbed a copy and received a notice that it was a preorder and to check their production page which says all preorders shipped in June. Their shop needs to be updated/redesigned.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

BEAMLORD wrote:Thanks, man. It would be awesome if that gets added in. I'm finding some these boss fights long as hell, and I'd like to know where I stand in the middle of them!
Most of the boss fights are choreographed so when the red-beam-fighting comes out, that is the indicator this is the end of the fight (assuming you have a counter ready). If a red beam comes out in the first few bullet patterns (queen/fire fossil bottom, embryon, sorta heavy arms shell, sorta absolute defender), this isn't the end. the boss appearance changes slightly more purple-ish when about to die, but that's usually noticeable if the beam counter is missed. Anticipate each boss fight to be somewhere around 2 minutes, 45 seconds.

I got my copy of physical standard edition for Switch. I think the website just doesnt' like to state that they couldn't sell out the 3500 copies.
BigGaming

Post by BigGaming »

ACSeraph wrote:

I was looking at the content differences between Another Chronicle EX+ on Switch and Chronicle Saviors.... it looks like we are missing a boss or two like Gigantic bite :/ that sucks, I don't see why they just couldn't have thrown him in there in like an event or something...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Is there really no way of disabling controller rumble in G-Darius HD (Switch) or am I just somehow not seeing it?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos