Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MachineAres 1CC

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Don't know if this had been mentioned before, but Cozmic Collection is all screwed up on PS5. The console collection runs fine, but when you try to boot the arcade collection, it just starts up the console collection instead, so there is currently no way to play the arcade collection on PS5. Pretty bad bug on Sony's part, and I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that they were both bundled together on the physical release or something, but even so, since even disc games from PS4 just download a digital copy anyway, the same thing would probably happen if you had the disc as well.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:Don't know if this had been mentioned before, but Cozmic Collection is all screwed up on PS5. The console collection runs fine, but when you try to boot the arcade collection, it just starts up the console collection instead, so there is currently no way to play the arcade collection on PS5. Pretty bad bug on Sony's part, and I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that they were both bundled together on the physical release or something, but even so, since even disc games from PS4 just download a digital copy anyway, the same thing would probably happen if you had the disc as well.
Are you saying that the the arcade collection is a digital download and not actually on disc?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The game is on disc, it's just that the PS4 installs the entire game rather than reading it from the disc every time. So at the end of the day you end up with a very similar digital file sitting on your hard drive whether you go digital or physical.
MachineAres 1CC

Shelcoof wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:Don't know if this had been mentioned before, but Cozmic Collection is all screwed up on PS5. The console collection runs fine, but when you try to boot the arcade collection, it just starts up the console collection instead, so there is currently no way to play the arcade collection on PS5. Pretty bad bug on Sony's part, and I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that they were both bundled together on the physical release or something, but even so, since even disc games from PS4 just download a digital copy anyway, the same thing would probably happen if you had the disc as well.
Are you saying that the the arcade collection is a digital download and not actually on disc?
No. Essentially, if you have the digital version of Cozmic Collection, you have to buy the Arcade half and the Console half separately as two different games. But, when you try to play them on PS5, it only starts up the Console version when you click start, even if you click the icon to start the Arcade version.

I did actually just find a workaround for this though, even if it's pretty dumb. If you select the game and go into "Select items to delete" and delete the console version, then it'll actually boot up the arcade version. So you'll basically have to re-download the console version any time you want to play it on PS5. It's only like 150MB or something so it's not that big of a deal, just an inconvenience and mistake that should be fixed.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I was confused there thinking the game wasn't on disc lol
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

It looks like G-Darius HD is getting a North American release. $30 on Amazon, not bad. I was *this* close to spending $70 to get it imported from Japan.

Good memories of drunkenly credit feeding the PS1 version while playing co-op with the hommies in high school. Looking forward to getting stomped by the arcade version.
https://tinyurl.com/fxhnnpju
Marc

Post by Marc »

Just pre-ordered for £21.50 on ShopTo. Kind of glad I held up on all the messy pre-orders, got the original on ACA and this is the only other I really wanted.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
John4300

Post by John4300 »

G-Darius HD will be released tomorrow, 28th of September on Switch eShop. I'm not sure about Playstation release, but it'll probably appear there at some time soon as well.

Question about that game, can you change difficulty in any way? I know it's the arcade port and rather difficult nevertheless. but I usually prefer making the game a bit easier and climbing up from there.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Yes, you can change difficulty levels.

For those waiting for the physical release, the game might have been delayed; a lot of UK online shops are indicating various dates in October.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Of course you can change the difficulty, add more lives and capture balls, but also keep in mind there is a Ver.2 update on the way. Ver.2 includes a beginner mode.

G Darius Ver.2 Changes (Arcade version)
– Beginner mode
– Switched ending (Beginner mode)
– Rapid fire button
– Game speed adjustments
– Enemy endurance adjustments
– Player endurance adjustments
– Mid-bosses added to some zones
– Skip function for demo screens added
– Boss timer and timer bonus added
– Calculations for score ranking changed
– Boss attack patterns changed and added
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Amazon listing now has a 12/31/21 release date :?

What, is Dispatch Games publishing this?!
*ba-dum-tsss*
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Why not just buy the imports? I don't see the point of waiting for these limited releases or long waits for western versions.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

scrilla4rella wrote:Amazon listing now has a 12/31/21 release date :?

What, is Dispatch Games publishing this?!
*ba-dum-tsss*
Only PS4 has the place holder date, oddly enough. Switch still has an October 15th date listed on Amazon. Digital version is now available in the US on PS4 and Switch, though the search engine on the playstation store's internet page doesn't know how to properly search for the game (even with a dash and quotes, "g-darius" turns up other games first, but "gdarius" finds it right away).
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Maybe they want to wait have the physical include the upcoming patch? There are a lot of missing gadgets and features compared to final state of Cozmic Collection. So I guess having a fully patched version on disc could be the potential benefit of the Western release.

BTW here's a cool picture showing the load meter tools M2 used to examine G Darius HD running side by side with the PCB version to adjust slowdown accuracy on a moment to moment basis.
Spoiler
Also two expert players double checked the game and it was tuned further based on their feedback, prioritizing human judgment above all. Going by the Special Thanks section on the credits these players were likely Daimyojin (been playing since release and has WR scores on most of the routes) and G.M.C.IMO.
KAI

Post by KAI »

duuuuuuuuuuuuude
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1638 ... on_Arcade/

now port G-darius hd on steam pls.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Whoa that's a surprise. Never thought I would see Cozmic Collection come to steam. Cue MathU posting about DRM in 5, 4, 3, 2 . . .
KAI

Post by KAI »

Holy shiiiiiiiiit! they just announced G for steam!!
https://taito.co.jp/mob/topics/14973
https://darius.jp/revelation/
bcass

Post by bcass »

Great news. I'm always extremely hesitant buying from Nintendo and Playstation stores, given how transient those services are.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The large-scale update for the Nintendo Switch / PlayStation®4 software "G-Darius HD" that has already been announced will be delivered this winter at the same time as the Steam version to improve the quality of the software. Please wait for the follow-up report regarding the update contents.
Looking at the pics in the announcement looks like you'll be able to play Darius with a 3 monitor setup. It would be tricky to play depending on how thick your monitor bezels are. Can't imagine setting this up myself as it would be more practical to just play the console version on a massive TV to get that extra size. A nice addition to be sure though.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Well I feel kinda shitty paying 40€ for Dariusburst ACEX+ on Switch now, when I could just have gotten it for Steam and use my dual monitor setup for it like with Dariusburst CS . . . Oh well!

Great to hear they're FINALLY bringing games to Steam again. Hopefully this would mean other games (Like Arcade Archive, aren't those developed by the same people as some of these ports?) would appear on Steam at some point too.

And I really hope whoever is developing the Steam versions knows what they're doing this time, so we won't be having mystery crashes, game not booting and/or terrible sync issues (See Groove Coaster).

Edit: Wait a moment, there doesn't seem to be news about ACEX+ for PC yet? Maybe it could actually be a DLC for CS version? Who knows.
MachineAres 1CC

I doubt there's too many people even attempting to play it on the platform, but I noticed yesterday that they did fix the Cozmic Collection digital version issues on PS5, where the console version would overwrite the arcade version. Now it lists both versions as separate tiles and both can be launched properly.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I could never get into the Darius series before (I remember playing 2-3 of their games, the oldest probably), but somehow all this info everywhere around the 35th anniversary has made me want to give it another shot.

Which one would you recommend me to try? CS is on a big sale right now, but is it the best choice? G-Darius? Darius Gaiden? ACEX+? HELP! :mrgreen:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

My biggest recommendations would be Darius Gaiden or G Darius especially if you're into scoring. The original Darius is cool, it's more of a classic shmup and is an bit more straightforward. Darius II is pretty nasty from a balance point of view and has infinite milking spots on most routes (although very difficult to pull off) wouldn't recommend as a first entry to the series. ACEX I don't have enough experience with to recommend, but I feel like you gotta try the OG arcade games first.

IMO Darius Gaiden is best played as a score attack game. It's a pretty straight forward clear especially on a route ending in V. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of scoring it's almost in line with something like Battle Garrega in terms of rank management, obscure tricks to boost score etc.

G Darius feels the most modern in the sense that you will always be minding your multipliers and trying to perfectly time charge beams, and there are so many sources of points involved. I would recommend it the most to play as a challenging survival game for 1CC. While bosses still have a bit of that sort of puzzle solving feel there are more patterns where you will end up using pure dodging skill to get through bullet spreads. Boss fights generally feel epic especially later on in a run.

Out of the 4 OG arcade games I would rate them like this:

Played for score:
S TIER: Darius Gaiden Auto on
G-Darius
A TIER: Darius Old/Extra
Darius Gaiden Auto OFF
B TIER: Darius II

For survival only:
S TIER: G Darius
Darius Old/Extra
Darius Gaiden Auto OFF
A TIER: Darius II
B TIER: Darius Gaiden Auto on
SPM

Post by SPM »

Thanks for the detailed response! I can't enjoy scoring if I don't like survival first and will use autofire 100%, so G-Darius may be the right option. I haven't tried that one (I checked youtube and I think I played the original, II and Gaiden... Neither grabbed my attention).

Any way of playing G-Darius with an HD filter? ePSXe? (before buying G-Darius HD I mean hehe)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah you can upscale with emulation to get a look similar to G Darius HD. Might be a good way to try it out without spending cash first. Keep in mind the PSX version runs way slower and bc of that is easier than the arcade version.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

So I picked up G-Darius HD for PS4 on PSN.

I figured I was going to wait until Ver 2 gets added in the update, which is coming soon right?

I'll have to catch up reading this thread for info...
AimeeSH

Post by AimeeSH »

Darius Cozmic Collection launches on Steam Nov-17

New PC/Steam-exclusive features
*Multi-screen support
*Subwoofer compatible

PC Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_noI2WLsWUo
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1638 ... on_Arcade/

---

Not sure what the Subwoofer compatible feature is but looking at the audio recording in the youtube trailer its outputting at ~90hz for the shot sounds in the demo clip starting at ~38 seconds in.

Screenshot of audio spectrum: https://i.imgur.com/ovqGgxJ.png
heli

Post by heli »

lol, g-darius HD in 4/3 ratio and original bitmaps.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

The Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade is out now on Steam (a bit earlier than what the countdown advertised). :)

20% off during launch week, and there's an additional discount for those who own DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours with the following bundle:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2 ... DCCA_PACK/

---

I spent a few minutes with the Steam version, and my early impressions couldn't be more positive.

Since I don't own the existing console releases, all I knew about this collection is from various videos I watched online, but I still ended up positively surprised with the quality of the presentation of this collection.
Awesome emulation, great QOL features, multiple screen support (with extensive options) for the PC version (which I couldn't test, since I only own a single monitor at the moment), it's pretty much what I hoped for.
M2 really does wonders with these re-releases. Heck, even the pause menu in-game displays a nice looking zone map chart, showing the branching paths, and the bosses on each of the stages, which is a really nice touch.

Hopefully, the collection featuring the console titles won't be far off.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I spent a few minutes with the Steam version, and my early impressions couldn't be more positive.
Glad this made it to Steam and with new features even. Truly one of the best shmup ports of all time. The more I play the more I realize how useful some of the extra touches they did really are. They even went so far as to autodetect the invincibility glitch in Darius Gaiden and block scores that trigger it from the leaderboards.

I have only one real gripe and that is the limited amount of replays you can save. DG for example has 7 different end bosses, so it would be nice for players to at least be able to save their PB runs for each. That's if I'm nitpicking tho.

That and the high cost of the console version. Still haven't sprung for it myself. Normally I'm the first in line to pay full price for M2 stuff, but the Japanese consumer version is over 7,000 yen on the Switch eshop, and I think 59.99 on the US shop. Ouch. The arcade version is cheaper and has the better games and value overall.