Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Johnpv

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by Johnpv »

It's also up for pre-order on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093X ... UTF8&psc=1

Is this just half of what was in the Japanese release?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

It seems that way. Although, it's a little weird seeing there was already a PS4 release for the full Dariusburst CS package.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
It seems that way. Although, it's a little weird seeing there was already a PS4 release for the full Dariusburst CS package.
$40 is quite silly price for a rather small update for somewhat recent release, not to forget the whole CS mode and all the CS DLC aren't included either. Those DLC characters for AC mode would be really neat. But, for the price point, we are talking about Taito so...

It's also somewhat annoying this port is most probably never coming to PC where it could be played with two screens like on DBCS. This whole thing could have been a DLC for DBCS anyhow. But this is just me complaining here.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Somehow I haven't brought Revelation yet... It's probably already somewhere in the thread, but does anyone know if either game supports save states?
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

G Darius has save states with a ton of slots. Training mode is not in right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets patched in like it did with the first Darius Cozmic.
Marc

Post by Marc »

The amount of Darius releases lately is boggling. I just want G-Darius separately, is that a thing?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

On Japanese PSN, definitely. (game has full English text for all menus, manuals, etc) Not sure how it is in other regions/platforms.
heli

Post by heli »

This EX+ version has all DLC the EX dont have included ?
Is it the complete version ?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

heli wrote:This EX+ version has all DLC the EX dont have included ?
Is it the complete version ?
The version with CS is already complete and has a two screen mode for the PC. The + version only has more missions from the AC version, no new levels for the main game.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I don't even know if I would want to recommend the standalone version of DBACEX on console vs the Chronicle Saviours version. It's not like you get save-states, and while ghosts, new leaderboards, and a handful of challenge courses are nice, is that a worthy tradeoff for the other leaderboards and the exclusive bosses?

I like the game a lot, but it was also purchased in tandem with G-Darius so it was more of a 'package deal.'
MJR

Post by MJR »

When this originally got released, I couldn't afford it. Now the physical edition seems to be sold out. In any case, it's still expensive as hell but I think I would get the arcade collection. If I remember the discussion right, it has been updated, so the digital version is not any worse choice to go for?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

High level Cozmic Revelation replay posted by Taito:

https://youtu.be/qCVcOaZacYE

It's a new replay by the all time G Darius master Daimyojin on the turtle route. Their other replays for this game are old, low res and only on niconico. It's awesome to see that this player, who says G Darius is their life's work, is still going strong. However, the score is a bit lower than their now ancient arcade replay for this boss. There's one costly death right near the end, but the overall level of play is amazing.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Darius Cozmic Revelation standard edition I ordered for Switch shipped from Strictly Limited Games.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Hmm I wonder if the big ver. 2 patch for G Darius will be on the cart? AFAIK the Japanese release hasn't been updated yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed for training mode.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Anyone have info about the Superplay Blu-ray disc that came with the Darius 30th Anniversary set released a few years ago? It's the expensive one that came with a 7 disc OST set.

There are 3 replays, one for Darius, Darius Gaiden, and G Darius, but I haven't seen any info on the players or scores featured.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Rastan78 wrote:Hmm I wonder if the big ver. 2 patch for G Darius will be on the cart? AFAIK the Japanese release hasn't been updated yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed for training mode.
It's possible it might be on the Strictly Limited edition cart. I have a hunch G-Darius HD won't be released in the west until whenever the Ver. 2 patch is released in Japan (And the Strictly Limited edition won't most probably be released until then either).

However I wouldn't be surprised that the Strictly Limited edition is already 100% ready to ship but they're just waiting on the release of G-Darius HD, and the Ver. 2 will be an update to download.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BrianC posted above that his copy of Revelation shipped already. That's what had me wondering. Could also be that they're going to take their sweet time with the update and don't want to delay it any more.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The upcoming G Darius revision won't be on it, they confirmed (also, they're shipping now anyway):

https://twitter.com/StrictlyDave/status ... 41603?s=19

It's possible it won't get a release outside of Japan, a standalone release is a hard sell and is there really anything left to bundle it in with to make a 4th compilation? There are a few missing titles: Darius (MD Mini exclusive), Darius (PC Engine Mini exclusive), Super Darius II, Darius R... maybe if you whack the tenuously related Metal Black and Border Down in there it has substance!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Well the G Darius ver 2 update will also include some unspecified updates for the main G Darius game like new gadgets etc. I would hope that patch will come over to the NA release when it does come out. If it's coming late 2021, makes sense that they didn't hold out longer.

For those who don't know ver 2 is just an updated rom with balance changes that were not too well received back in the day.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Finally picked up a copy of Cosmic Revelation on Switch. I'm late to the party this time since I've been trying to spend less lately. Is the shmups crew still hanging out on Cabinet 11?
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

I'm flogging my dariusburst chronicle saviours PS4 on eBay if I'm allowed to say that

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I already have the PS4 G-Darius, so I don't have to wait until the Switch version arrives to play it. So far, I like it much better than the PS2 version. PS2 version wasn't as clear visually as it should have been (Raystorm had the same issue) and it played too fast. Even the non-HD version is more clear visually on PS4.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Welp, I've been playing CR pretty intensively for about a week now and I'm absolutely loving it.

On the ACEX+ side I've been ripping the game to shreds with Murakumo and I've already 1cc-ed all of Another Chronicle's courses along with V and W on the EX side. I expect to finish X tonight. Murakumo is pretty damn OP, especially since I have a lot of experience playing ACEX with Gaiden, but I can't deny it's damn fun to play. I do think they should have at least required proper timing for the beam duels with it though; it's a bit mindless as-is.

On the G Darius side I landed my first ever clear last night. I noticed that I am the only person on the λ leaderboard who plays 1P side. What's the difference between the sides exactly? I'm guessing it must affect your score. Also, I noticed that using 30hz auto-fire versus Fire Fossil causes you to lose the duel, and I had to map an extra button to 15hz in order to consistently do it. Is that true to the original, or is it an issue with the port?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I noticed that I am the only person on the λ leaderboard who plays 1P side. What's the difference between the sides exactly?
When you pick 2P side bosses have more HP. Likely a bug bc there was supposed to be more health for balancing purposes when a second player joined in, but it also effects a single player game on 2P side. Can be useful for milking certain bosses.
Also, I noticed that using 30hz auto-fire versus Fire Fossil causes you to lose the duel, and I had to map an extra button to 15hz in order to consistently do it. Is that true to the original, or is it an issue with the port?
I've heard this happens on the PCB as well. I'd assume it's due to slowdown. IIRC on this version there is a slower autofire rate and a 30hz one already by default?

Also I've heard there are certain bosses where you just can't win the duel without autofire bc the mashing rate needed is too high. But apparently the rate needed is reduced after consecutive boss cycles so there's a chance you could still get it without auto by waiting through a lot of alpha beam cycles and countering a later one.

Congrats on the clear!

Edit: here's a link (in Japanese) that goes into some detail about the alpha beam counter system, auto fire usage etc. They also recommend having a second slower autofire rate to ensure not losing beam counters during slowdown. According to that link to defeat certain last boss beam counters you need at least 16 shots per second or greater. Far beyond being practical by mashing for almost any player.

https://w.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/pages/3154.html
Last edited by Rastan78 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Is the DLC from CS, especially the Souky and Space Harrier supposed to come to this at some point?
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Darkseed_5150 wrote:Is the DLC from CS, especially the Souky and Space Harrier supposed to come to this at some point?
I heard no but don't quote me

John4300

Post by John4300 »

For all the people waiting for download version of ACEX+ to get released this Friday in west, the Switch release seems to have been pushed back to 27th of July. Shame.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Johnpv wrote:It's also up for pre-order on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093X ... UTF8&psc=1

Isn't this included on the current compilation with G Darius (Japan Physical)?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Thanks for the info and links Rastan78, really good stuff!

There still seems to be a little confusion surrounding ACEX+ and what content is included, so let me clear something up:

ACEX+ does not include Chronicle Saviors mode or any of the bonus (DLC) content associated with it.

Chronicle Saviors is really a separate game from ACEX that reuses a lot of the same assets and happens to include a bare bones port of ACEX.

Cozmic Revelation's ACEX+ is specifically an upgraded port of the arcade game. It includes AC mode, EX mode, and Chronicle Mode. Chronicle Mode is NOT the same as Chronicle Saviors mode, despite the confusing naming. ACEX Chronicle mode is a mission mode that was featured in the original arcade release.

The "plus" portion of ACEX+ refers to the new features in Revelation, namely a new-ish ship available in all modes (Murakumo), Event Mode, and body sonic rumble support. Event mode features a series of special courses that were originally playable in arcades for a limited time circa 2012-2013. New to ACEX+ are a series of all-new EX events. I haven't played through many of these yet, but about half of them are actually boss training simulators for the hardest fights in the game. It's a way to practice things like GTV and Dreadful Whip. For me this is a huge feature and a big selling point of the new port.

But again to reiterate, these new features come at the expense of the extremely content heavy CS mode, so you cannot call ACEX+ the definitive version. If you were only going to get one version of ACEX, I think CS is probably the better choice, but for serious players who can afford both I do think ACEX+ is a worthy purchase (especially purchased alongside the excellent G Darius HD). Whether CS mode could eventually be patched in is anyone's guess, but I would wager the answer is no, and I think it is best to judge the port on what is currently being offered here and now.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

ACSeraph wrote:Thanks for the info and links Rastan78, really good stuff!

There still seems to be a little confusion surrounding ACEX+ and what content is included, so let me clear something up:

ACEX+ does not include Chronicle Saviors mode or any of the bonus (DLC) content associated with it.

Chronicle Saviors is really a separate game from ACEX that reuses a lot of the same assets and happens to include a bare bones port of ACEX.

Cozmic Revelation's ACEX+ is specifically an upgraded port of the arcade game. It includes AC mode, EX mode, and Chronicle Mode. Chronicle Mode is NOT the same as Chronicle Saviors mode, despite the confusing naming. ACEX Chronicle mode is a mission mode that was featured in the original arcade release.

The "plus" portion of ACEX+ refers to the new features in Revelation, namely a new-ish ship available in all modes (Murakumo), Event Mode, and body sonic rumble support. Event mode features a series of special courses that were originally playable in arcades for a limited time circa 2012-2013. New to ACEX+ are a series of all-new EX events. I haven't played through many of these yet, but about half of them are actually boss training simulators for the hardest fights in the game. It's a way to practice things like GTV and Dreadful Whip. For me this is a huge feature and a big selling point of the new port.

But again to reiterate, these new features come at the expense of the extremely content heavy CS mode, so you cannot call ACEX+ the definitive version. If you were only going to get one version of ACEX, I think CS is probably the better choice, but for serious players who can afford both I do think ACEX+ is a worthy purchase (especially purchased alongside the excellent G Darius HD). Whether CS mode could eventually be patched in is anyone's guess, but I would wager the answer is no, and I think it is best to judge the port on what is currently being offered here and now.
Very good informative cheers
It's certainly very confusing
I'll stick with my CS Jap disc then if there's no upgrades to sound or picture, weird disc is only 3gb on PS4 for so much content
Are there no new music tracks on acex+?