Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shepardus

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection for Switch

Post by Shepardus »

Most of a game's price doesn't come from the medium it's stored on.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

gameoverDude wrote:I'm wondering if Switch's Ninja Warriors Again (tentative title) will be the SFC reboot, or a sequel.
The screenshot suggests a remake of the SFC reboot.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Shepardus wrote:Most of a game's price doesn't come from the medium it's stored on.
Except on Switch. It's no secret that Switch games cost more (affectionately dubbed "Switch tax" by most sites) because the cartridges are a lot more expensive than discs to manufacture. Or at least for developers/publishers/whoever does that in the chain to purchase from Nintendo, who knows what the actual production costs for Nintendo are, but I'm sure they still cost a heap more than a blu-ray disc.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

He's talking about the difference between development costs and manufacturing costs. Even with 'Switch tax', the cost of developing the game itself is a much bigger factor in the price over how much it costs to manufacture each unit.

With that said, the pricing on both versions of this seems a bit excessive.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

DoomsDave wrote:He's talking about the difference between development costs and manufacturing costs. Even with 'Switch tax', the cost of developing the game itself is a much bigger factor in the price over how much it costs to manufacture each unit.
Additionally, the pricing varies depending on the storage size of the cartridge. I'd be surprised if the extra games were to take up more than a 1GB cart, which should be significantly cheaper than the current maximum (32GB).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

gameoverDude wrote:I don't get why G.Darius isn't in this, unless it could have something to do with that being Taito FX-1 (PlayStation) hardware.
Locking some games behind the LE price wall is really lame, but at least the RE has all the arcade titles up to Gaiden. It'd be nice to see this on the Xbox One & PS4 also.
Yep, both G-Darius & G-Darius Version 2 run on the venerable Taito FX-1B arcade motherboard platform. It was quite sometthing to play G-Darius Ver. 2 on a Sega Megalo candy cab with it's mighty impressive 32" rear projection CRT monitor presentation at a past California Extreme show.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
gameoverDude wrote:I don't get why G.Darius isn't in this, unless it could have something to do with that being Taito FX-1 (PlayStation) hardware.
Locking some games behind the LE price wall is really lame, but at least the RE has all the arcade titles up to Gaiden. It'd be nice to see this on the Xbox One & PS4 also.
Yep, both G-Darius & G-Darius Version 2 run on the venerable Taito FX-1B arcade motherboard platform. It was quite sometthing to play G-Darius Ver. 2 on a Sega Megalo candy cab with it's mighty impressive 32" rear projection CRT monitor presentation at a past California Extreme show.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I looked on Sega Retro at some of the Megalo cabinets. They're some cool looking ones. Was it one of the sit-down ones or the 410?

Taito should think about a re-mastered G.Darius for PS4, with both versions 1 & 2. Raystorm on the 360 & PS3 is not too bad.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... c_in_japan

So it would seem that the collection will also include the game boy version of Sagaia, but only as a preorder bonus from Amazon Japan.

No comment.
qmish

Post by qmish »

All that exclusivity bullshit goddamit.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

qmish wrote:All that exclusivity bullshit goddamit.
It’s not a clever move.. They should release 2 or 3 separate DARIUS compilations if the problem is cart price related. Locking some games only to LE units when there’s a potential market ready to buy all the games is stupid.. if people can’t get the LE package, maybe publisher is involuntary encouraging consumers going the homebrew route for those who only can get the standard
Working in the japanese language achievement
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Retailer exclusive DLC is never a good thing. When the DLC is a whole game, it is even worse. GB Sagaia looks & sounds OK, but I wouldn't switch a preorder to Amazon Japan over it.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

The Amazon Sagaia DLC is a only a timed-exclusive, just like the first two Senko no Ronde 2 DLC characters.

A please stop talking about this being related to card capacity. All of the exclusives, including Sagaia, are measured in KB/MB and are smaller than your average thumbnail image.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Rupert H wrote:The Amazon Sagaia DLC is a only a timed-exclusive, just like the first two Senko no Ronde 2 DLC characters.
Better be. Example of bad story: Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen had digital artbook as preorder bonus, and they (Capcom) never turned it into regular DLC after release.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Just heard about this. Interesting lineup... they're clearly gunning for a second collection. It'd likely have G Darius, Dariusburst, the Super Dariuses, probably one or both versions of Syvalion, etc. The Sagaia preorder thing is annoying, but oh well. Pretty sure M2 had to spend years trying to convince Taito to do this at all, so... Darius is a prestigious name. They would never let it go for anything less than it's worth. The LE price is a bit much, but I think I'd be willing to pay it.

Pricing almost never varies based on medium. That hasn't been a thing since the SNES days. The only time this occurs anymore is with specific strains of budget GBA/DS/3DS titles that happen to use smaller carts in eras where most companies are using larger ones, and that's because the games themselves are also budget.

Darius Extra and Gaiden Extra should be on this, M2 is good about things like that. That's why Sagaia (Darius II) is also on this.

If a second collection happens, I'm hoping Dariusburst SP ends up on it. That'd be sweet. I sincerely doubt a second collection would get CS. That would be its own release, definitely. Maybe they're gunning for a GOTY edition for the Switch... that'd be a damned megaton right there.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
GSK

Post by GSK »

I don't think they're gunning for a second collection, I think G-Darius was just more work than could be justified, and all the LE milking is just Japan being Japan.

I don't know how much convincing it took on the part of M2, either--one of the new development heads at Taito and the guy they're working with on this collection is Yuichi Toyama, an old Compile/Raizing guy who was still at 8ing until very recently.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

G Darius wouldn't require any more effort than anything else in here, and there's a lot of key stuff missing. Either they're doing a second collection, we're getting DLC, or this does too poorly for them to follow up with either.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Does anyone know how Amazon.jp works with Prime? I ordered this collection on a Prime free trial. Of course that will expire before this ever ships.. so will that be a problem?
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Mero

Post by Mero »

Trailer for this is out.

https://youtu.be/TxmYOAQwdQI
KAI

Post by KAI »

all that autofire footage :shock:
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

So it's got all the autofire settings you could wish for and a savestate feature to properly practice all the titles.

And looking back at this topic, we now also know why G.Darius isn't on this collection. :wink:
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

They need to take some cues from the Capcom and SNK collections...
Image Image Image Image
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

Beep's announced their limited edition for those who collect cardboard:
https://www.beep-shop.com/blog/12075/
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

djsheep wrote:Beep's announced their limited edition for those who collect cardboard:
I like cardboard , but still doesn't justify the price difference for me.
Mandarake86

Post by Mandarake86 »

djsheep wrote:Beep's announced their limited edition for those who collect cardboard:
preordered.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

If anyone is interested you can check out the unboxing of the Beep limited edition over in the Darius Love thread.

The game is amazing and I don't really think I could ask for anything more from these ports. This is the god of STG collections for me, worth every single yen. I love you M2!

(Also about the book included with the Special Edition, unlike the Odyssey book included with CS this one is completely new made especially for this release and it's awesome!)
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

ACSeraph wrote:If anyone is interested you can check out the unboxing of the Beep limited edition over in the Darius Love thread.

The game is amazing and I don't really think I could ask for anything more from these ports. This is the god of STG collections for me, worth every single yen. I love you M2!

(Also about the book included with the Special Edition, unlike the Odyssey book included with CS this one is completely new made especially for this release and it's awesome!)
Whats your opinion on the emulation? Does it feel nice and crisp? Didn't realize M2 was behind this so I have more confidence in this port now.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

AFXisatwin wrote:Whats your opinion on the emulation? Does it feel nice and crisp? Didn't realize M2 was behind this so I have more confidence in this port now.
Having spent a very large amount of time playing these games in their original formats, be it PCB or on console in the case of the SE exclusives I can say that yes the emulation is spot on.

To be totally honest, between Saturn Gaiden, Taito Legends Darius II, and Arcade Archives Darius we already had good and accurate home ports of the main games available. That said, these new versions are still definitive to me for a number of reason:

- Totally customizable controls with a number of autofire options ranging from 5 to 30 SPS. Buttons can all be duplicated to have a non-auto and auto version which is very useful in the first two games and also reflects the current arcade standard for these games in Japan.

- Exceptional graphics settings (scanlines are there of course). There are options to have the arcade art in the borders, along with additional information such as current shield stock and weapon level. It will even give you a preview of upcoming bosses to help you choose a path if you don't have them memorized. All of these options can be individually turned off (if you consider the shield information cheating for example).

- Save states. I cannot overstate how big of a deal this is. I am a firm believer in efficient practice. Each game has 6 save slots available, and of course your score is not counted towards ranking when using them. AA Darius had states but it was a single slot and a pain in the ass to use, so this is a big upgrade.

- Everything is on one cart. This includes the SE games, meaning the SE is a unique ROM with it's own title screen. Gives it a lot of heft as a collector and makes it feel more worth it given the price. Who wants to be switching carts all the time anyhow?

- It's portable and also not portable. I love the switch for games which are less graphically intensive.

Other than that, Sagaia is the series best kept secret. In the 90s I would have been disappointed to get that instead of Darius 2, but in 2019 it's effectively an entirely new game in the series. I had beaten Sagaia in MAME years ago, but had never heard of Sagaia version 2 which is also included. This one is a shock, it is also a completely unique game, totally different from Sagaia version 1 with significant graphical upgrades. It's also a way better game than Sv1. According to it's description it never saw wide circulation which is probably why I've never heard of ot. Sv2 probably the coolest thing on the cart for me.

Just to be fully transparent the negatives:

- No Darius 2 3-screen version
- No Gaiden Extra
(These two were unlikely but I was crossing my fingers)

- Omission of Darius Plus, Super Darius, and Super Darius 2 is a bit weird to me. Super Darius 2 is actually quite a loss.

So basically the negatives are that I want more? That's probably a good sign.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I'm not surprised by missing Darius II 3-screen (it's pointless), but missing Darius Gaiden Extra is really surprising to me... Does sound like I need to pick this up though.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

trap15 wrote:I'm not surprised by missing Darius II 3-screen (it's pointless), but missing Darius Gaiden Extra is really surprising to me... Does sound like I need to pick this up though.
Yeah, 3 screen is definitely not a huge loss, but it does have interesting differences that directly imoact gameplay and routing. Aside from the play area and obvious implications on shot limit, the powerups float up instead of down, which can change stricter late game routes. I'm a bit if a Darius II otaku so I would have enjoyed it.

Certainly the differences are more pronounced than Darius Old versus New. This game cracks the mystery of that one in it's description. New version is apparently a re-balance of rank related to boss health increasing after taking powerups, to give the player more incentive to take them (assuming my reading of the Japanese is correct). That would suggest the version commonly played on the forum prior to Extra getting popular was most likely the old version. New seems to be something in between the two, I'm guessing it lacks the remaining ships bonus from Extra as well.
MathU

Post by MathU »

ACSeraph wrote:between Saturn Gaiden... we already had good and accurate home ports of the main games available.
Saturn Gaiden isn't technically arcade-accurate. In both the Saturn and PS1 ports they fixed an arcade bug where King Fossil's body parts increased the adaptive difficulty too much. Certain pixel-perfect techniques I'm familiar with on the arcade version don't quite work in it either.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.