Upcoming Switch and PS4 Shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Black Sam

Upcoming Switch and PS4 Shmups?

Post by Black Sam »

Hello!

I have been out of the loop (lame pun intended) with shmups for some time, my last real foray into them being obsessively collecting and playing all the Cave ones on my JP 360.

With a recent Switch purchase, the addiction has returned something fierce.

Switch and PS4 Pro are my go to platforms right now and am wondering if there is a good source of info on who is releasing what in the near future?

I really hope Cave are going to be unleashing bullet hell on Switch!
pmp

Re: Upcoming Switch and PS4 Shmups?

Post by pmp »

Following Elixir on twitter @shmups is probably the best source.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Ketsui is being (re-)released on PS4 by M2, the third release in their "ShotTriggers" series (the first two being Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron). I don't remember when they said it was going to release but I think it's some time this year.

This thread has a list of shmups on Switch, both released and upcoming: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62430
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Black Sam

Post by Black Sam »

Will check that Twitter, thanks.

Those M2 releases aren’t happening on the UK / EU PSN annoyingly. Not a huge problem with multiple accounts, but not sure what warrants the $35 tag on them either.

And Gunbird 2 just got pulled from Switch eshop as I was wanting to buy it!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Black Sam wrote:not sure what warrants the $35 tag on them either.
M2's console ports are the finest you'll find, they put real development effort into this, overcoming sometimes difficult to adjust technical differences vs. the original arcade hardware, an they add extras often useful to both novice and veteran players. You get a product that's practically perfect/accurate and you could call final, topping emulation and being immensely better deals than the pcb's that now price in the hundreds when it's not thousands.
Their strategy is quality rather than volume, but they are not a big company and need to live too, so that's the price.
Last edited by Xyga on Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Black Sam

Post by Black Sam »

I’ll probably grab them at some point when I’ve got everything else :) don’t suppose though there is word on them heading to Switch or at least Uk Psn?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Dunno...doubt it.

PS: Limited Run Games might release a localized version of Garegga PS4 in the west, that's all we'll get for now I guess (of course as usual with them you have to snipe your purchase and pay shipping+taxes)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Upcoming and released Switch shmups can be checked in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62430
Working in the japanese language achievement
parodius

Post by parodius »

Shepardus wrote:Ketsui is being (re-)released on PS4 by M2, the third release in their "ShotTriggers" series (the first two being Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron).
Fourth, after Mahou Daisakusen/Sorcer Striker
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

parodius wrote:
Shepardus wrote:Ketsui is being (re-)released on PS4 by M2, the third release in their "ShotTriggers" series (the first two being Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron).
Fourth, after Mahou Daisakusen/Sorcer Striker
Right, I completely forgot about that. I think Ketsui was the third announced and the "third" just stuck in my head...
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Tooly

Post by Tooly »

Hi i'm new to the genre and considering a switch but i'm concerned that the controls look kinda bad, is it playable?
Black Sam

Post by Black Sam »

You mean the joycons? They’re fine. The pro controller is amazing.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Black Sam wrote:You mean the joycons? They’re fine. The pro controller is amazing.
Seconded. And yes, the Joy-Con are perfectly fine to get started with, though games that use a D-pad specifically may take some getting used to with the individual directional buttons, unless you're used to playing on a PlayStation pad. Then it might feel a bit more natural.