Finding Music/Unpacking DATs

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lord Satori

Finding Music/Unpacking DATs

Post by Lord Satori »

So I really hate it when games pack all of their music in a dat file. I can never find the songs online even if the sites they got them from are listed somewhere. So THEN I try to see if I can find a way to unpack the dat file so I can extract them myself, but I can't find an answer there either.

In case if you were wondering, the game in question is the Strike Witches shmup from roughly ten years ago. (also a game called Zirconia 2, but I can take or leave that one) I'm pretty sure none of the songs are original, so why the hell did they pack it in like that? Does anybody know a way for me to get them?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
KAI

Re: Finding Music/Unpacking DATs

Post by KAI »

Are you talking about the doujin game or the psp/360 game by gulti? the later was ripped by zophar, just google zophar's music domain and search strike witches on his site.

Cool Edit always helped me when trying to open raw audio data from those .dat files. (for example, i've been ripping the 2hus by my own for ages)
Lord Satori

Re: Finding Music/Unpacking DATs

Post by Lord Satori »

I'm talking about the doujin game. Cool Edit doesn't seem to work as the dat file stores everything, not just the music. Unless I'm doing it wrong?

Edit: I solved the problem with a program called "Dragon UnPACKer". I found all the songs I was looking for. As a bonus, "XMPlay" is somehow able to detect the filenames. Now if only there were a way to rename the songs. I can't do it myself because I can't exactly type out Japanese file names.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.