Shikhondo Soul Eater PS4/Switch (Physical) XB1 (Digital)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tokyo-J

Shikhondo Soul Eater PS4/Switch (Physical) XB1 (Digital)

Post by Tokyo-J »

Shikhondo Soul Eater is getting a Physical Release on PS4 and Switch. Online Co-Op mode added to console versions.

Play-Asia is releasing June 28th.

Standard $24.99 and Limited Edition $34.99 free shipping included.

https://www.play-asia.com/info/exclusives
Last edited by Tokyo-J on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
FRO

Re: Shikhondo Soul Eater PS4/Switch (Physical Release)

Post by FRO »

I watched some gameplay footage, and this looks good, though I wish they would have gone for something a bit more subdued and atmospheric for the soundtrack, to better fit the aesthetic. Still, I'll probably pre-order this :P
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

It looks like Touhou meets Vanillaware
Working in the japanese language achievement
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

This is getting a Digital release on PS4 June 22nd with releases on Switch and Xbox One TBA.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GC8i6SS8ak
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Shepardus

Re: Shikhondo Soul Eater PS4/Switch (Physical) XB1 (Digital)

Post by Shepardus »

For those who haven't heard of the game itself, it's currently available on Steam and there's a thread for it here.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Would like some impressions on PS4 or Switch. I have the Steam version but the framerate constantly stutters on my old ass PC.
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

The physicals just went up for sale:

Use the code VITAFR for $3 off
FRO

Post by FRO »

djsheep wrote:The physicals just went up for sale:

Ordered! Thank you for the coupon code :D
mrmccormo

Post by mrmccormo »

Play-Asia has been on fire with the shmups lately. I picked up X-Morph (50/50 split between a twin-stick shooter and tower defense) but passed on Dimension Drive (another shmup). And now this. Hopefully they continue bringing more shmups to physical format.

On topic: I ended up getting the Switch version. Excited to play this finally!
guigui

Post by guigui »

FRO wrote:
djsheep wrote:The physicals just went up for sale:

Ordered! Thank you for the coupon code :D
Same here, thanks
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Tokyo-J wrote:This is getting a Digital release on PS4 June 22nd with releases on Switch and Xbox One TBA.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GC8i6SS8ak
This turned out to not be correct, as the game is still not available digitally on any console in the West, it only came out in Japan digitally. The release date just says "July 2018" and there's only one week left in July, so we'll see if it doesn't get delayed.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

It's out now. Mine just shipped
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Play-asia retail version is expected to be available on Q4, and I believe it is the only published version.. my order is still on “pre” state.. Are you sure? Or you are talking about Dimension Drive?
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

My copy from Play Asia shipped the other day as well. Might be lucky to see it later next week.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Sorry. I thought both version were released at same time.. Switch version it’s delayed until fall while PS is on the street..
MachineAres 1CC

It seems this might release on Western digital shops tomorrow or Wednesday, since Play-asia copies shipped last week. I've never had a Play-asia shipment arrive to the US any quicker than a week or two (without paying the $30 shipping, which costs as much as the game itself) but we'll see if they do drop on XBL/PSN digitally this week
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

^Yeah, I was hoping for that too, but I guess not. Next week then!
jandrogo wrote:It looks like Touhou meets Vanillaware
"Like many players of shooting games around the world, I’m a fan of Touhou Project – Japan’s famous bullet-hell shoot ‘em up series, which has been running for over 20 years. The first project of our team at DeerFarm was creating a doujin (fan-made/self-published) game of the Touhou Project."

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/06 ... is-summer/
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

@DietSoap Yeah, it gave me that ‘Tohou’ vibe the first time I saw the game trailer.

I preordered Switch version although I am debating myself if I should have bought PS4 instead. Probably, performance is going to be superior in PS4 due to hardware specs, lets hope it runs flawlessly in Switch

With all the upcoming shmups for both platforms I am doubting in which console buy them. I dont want to buy them twice..
Switch has the portability strenght but also performance/lag weak point
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Shikhondo Soul Eater Death Label is getting an Exa Arcadia treatment from the Exa Arcadia presentation at California Extreme along with more shmups. After those annoucements, ShouTime really said thats enough shooters for future submissions for the initial launch lineup.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Is anyone ready to share their impressions of this?
MachineAres 1CC

scrilla4rella wrote:Is anyone ready to share their impressions of this?
There's already a thread about this from a while back when it came out on PC last year: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... =shikhondo
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Still waiting for the US PSN release...
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

DietSoap wrote:
Still waiting for the US PSN release...

same here, wondering of any of the folks that went for the playsaia physical ver. have played it yet. Helpful to read people's impressions of the PC ver.
MachineAres 1CC

I just got my PS4 copy in the mail today, here's the package. Pretty good quality, reversible cover art. I love the art style, anyway.

http://imgur.com/gWknjTI

Only got to play one playthrough of the game, and the music/art are fantastic, gameplay is really solid, runs in 4K on PS4 Pro. I'll post a little more about modes/scoring etc. later after spending more time with it.
system11

Post by system11 »

Mine arrived today too - really enjoying it, but then I liked this game right from the original Steam Greenlight. I managed to make it slow down but only in one boss fight - that's on a standard PS4.

I think I'll be looking to get the Exa-Arcade version when that's done. I just need to find things not bolted down to fund it :/
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
ezbman

Post by ezbman »

Got my copy from Play Asia as well. So far I am enjoying it and look forward to giving it more time. It’s nice to see the physical releases still coming.
MachineAres 1CC

Played about 5 runs on various modes over the weekend, and this is definitely one of my favorite shmups since CAVE stopped making shmups :D The patterns and visuals are like a huge combination of Mushi Futari, Crimson Clover, and Guwange and thrown together.

Music is some really intense dubstep mixed with rock/metal and traditional Asian music, it's really intense and fits the game really well. The bosses are really creepy body horror/Dysmorphia type stuff and the music is creepy and intimidating for the bosses in a way that really clicks together.

The Soul Collect/hyper mode mechanic is fun to figure out. You basically graze bullets in the "power shot" mode (slow movement) until you build up your hyper meter which gives you a burst for about 7 seconds of higher shot power and also deletes all bullets from the screen when it's activated as well as when the burst ends.

I can get to the final boss without continuing, but one of her patterns just doesn't make any sense to me and I can't figure out how to dodge it. It waves back and forth in a way that's extremely disorienting to the eye and doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. Haven't looked up superplays or anything yet to figure it out, but I'm within reach, I'm just not sure if there's a way to actually dodge it or if you're somehow supposed to burst through it over and over again.

Bosses are kinda bullet sponges, and that's my only real complaint with the game. The boss fight usually takes at least the same amount of time as the main stage part, but often twice or 3 times as long. It just feels like you're constantly under-powered, even when using your burst
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:Played about 5 runs on various modes over the weekend, and this is definitely one of my favorite shmups since CAVE stopped making shmups :D The patterns and visuals are like a huge combination of Mushi Futari, Crimson Clover, and Guwange and thrown together...
Thanks for the write up. I might give this game a try. Hopefully the PSN ver. is released soon
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

I finally got to spend some proper time in this game last night and I am impressed so far. I like the art style and the music plus I’m a fan of the bullet grazing risk/reward type of game anyway.
The difficulty on normal is fairly well judged but probably has an eye on non hardcore Shmup fans. I agree with the earlier post on the final boss, the cycling bullet patterns are quite difficult to deal with but having said that there are some well thought out patterns elsewhere in the game.

The digital release on the Japanese PSN store works out at about £11 which is cheaper than I would have expected.

I am however having a problem getting my Venom PS4 arcade stick to work with game. Is anyone using a joystick with game?
MachineAres 1CC

CMcK wrote:I am however having a problem getting my Venom PS4 arcade stick to work with game. Is anyone using a joystick with game?
I was able to get a MayFlash stick to work with it, and even though there's a little input lag with it, it's still better than a normal controller for this type of game.

I also was able to get a 360 stick to work CronusMax, but that's a bit different from your question