Shikhondo Soul Eater PS4/Switch (Physical) XB1 (Digital)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
kog3100_edw

Re: Shikhondo Soul Eater PS4/Switch (Physical) XB1 (Digital)

Post by kog3100_edw »

My HRAP Kai stick wasn't working either. Actually with it plugged in, the game wouldn't get past the initial loading screen. But if I start it with a regular controller, get to the Main Menu screen, and then turn off the DualShock, it'll let me then plug in the HRAP and work just fine.

I'd kinda like it if they'd patch in an option to re-map buttons though. Or am I missing that somewhere? It ain't in the Options menu.
system11

Post by system11 »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:I can get to the final boss without continuing, but one of her patterns just doesn't make any sense to me and I can't figure out how to dodge it. It waves back and forth in a way that's extremely disorienting to the eye and doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. Haven't looked up superplays or anything yet to figure it out, but I'm within reach, I'm just not sure if there's a way to actually dodge it or if you're somehow supposed to burst through it over and over again.
Yep, this one is the gatekeeper for me - it looks like there's some logic to it and therefore some way to avoid it, but at the moment I'm not seeing it. Given the design in the rest of the game I'm 100% certain there's some method of avoidance.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
system11

Post by system11 »

kog3100_edw wrote:My HRAP Kai stick wasn't working either. Actually with it plugged in, the game wouldn't get past the initial loading screen. But if I start it with a regular controller, get to the Main Menu screen, and then turn off the DualShock, it'll let me then plug in the HRAP and work just fine.

I'd kinda like it if they'd patch in an option to re-map buttons though. Or am I missing that somewhere? It ain't in the Options menu.
There isn't, I asked them on Twitter and they suggested contacting the people responsible for the port which I haven't yet. I did notice more buttons are actually mapped to the functions, R1 R2 & circle are all the same thing for example.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

I’ve emailed Nephilim Game Studios about the joystick issue but have yet to get a response.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Y'all know you can remap buttons in the PS4s Accessibility settings right?
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

SuperPang wrote:Y'all know you can remap buttons in the PS4s Accessibility settings right?
I think the biggest issue is that people don't realize that the buttons the game tells you do certain functions in the "how to play" video aren't the only ways you can execute those attacks. All 3 of the commands in the game (shot, power shot, soul attack) all have 2 different buttons mapped. IIRC, the manual tells you what all the "alternate" buttons are for all commands.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Sorry for double post, but Shikhondo was just posted for pre-order on Xbox One, set to release next Tuesday, August 28th. It's also like $2 off if you pre-order it.

No Western pre-order or release confirmation for PS4, but I'm guessing it'll likely drop on the same day.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

I’ve had a reply from Nephilim studios and they tell me the PS4 version was only tested with the Dual Shock 4 but also asked about other games I have been able to use a stick with on the PS4.

I’ve ordered the Xbox One version which is also offering a pre-order discount on the UK store. Hopefully it will work with a stick.
kog3100_edw

Post by kog3100_edw »

Re-mapping buttons in the accessibility menu is a global change. Yeah, you can turn it off and on (after it is set) pretty easily, but it is a solution that becomes a problem the second you get another game that also doesn't allow re-mapping in-game. It is a pretty easy (and standard) feature to allow button assignments in a games options menus, and Nephilim (or DeerFarm or whoever) needs to slap it in. I got Azure Reflection at roughly the same time and this low-budget Touhou spinoff lets you re-map. There are alternate buttons for everything in Shikhondo but they aren't the right buttons considering how the stick is laid out.

CMcK, they just wanna know ANY games you use a stick for? Or STGs/Shmups? I mean ALL fighters obviously, so on my PS4 that's Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2, Street Fighter 5, Multiple Samurai Shodowns, Both Last Blades, King of Fighers XIV, etc. All the Hamster and NeoGeo arcade ports of whatever genre. And EVERY shooter. So of what I own (and so have tested) DariusBurst, Jamestown, all M2 ports, and more. I haven't bought Wingdiver The Shooter yet, but pretty sure that one will work too.

All of these have re-mappable buttons and don't need the right thumbstick.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

It was any games that I play with a stick. Which isn’t many but I told them about Darius, Dangun and Sonic Mania. I guess they will need to patch the game to support USB controllers.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Kind of chaps my ass that they took so long to release the digital version after putting the physical up for sale. I'm still going to get it eventually, but now I'm busy with all kinds of other shit. Had plenty of time and hype for this game in July and most of August.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Got the European PS4 release. Thanks for the tip to get the stick working. I'm playing using X, O and [] just fine.

It's pretty good for a doujin. Nice art. The screen size and bullet sizes make it comfortable to play on a TV unlike most vertical shooters. Lots of content for £11. Not really feeling the gameplay so far though as I'm not a huge fan of grazing. The first two levels are quite slow but it certainly picks up. Not sure the music really fits, I feel like it needs more of a Guwange vibe.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

I now have the Xbox One version of Shikhondo and can report it works fine with my Xbox 360 HRAP EX SE stick via a Brook converter. Might just sell my PS4 copy now.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Just a heads up that the Switch release is apparently now scheduled for September 6, according to https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/s ... ter-switch. I think it was previously slated for August 30 like the PS4 version.

I was debating PS4 or Switch, but based on the PS4 controller config issues I'm less excited about that version now. Guess I'll wait until next week and check it out on Switch.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

hamfighterx wrote:Just a heads up that the Switch release is apparently now scheduled for September 6, according to https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/s ... ter-switch. I think it was previously slated for August 30 like the PS4 version.
This prior week was pretty stacked for new releases on Switch. Guess either the publisher or Nintendo themselves felt that the first week of September was a better launch window.
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

I'm playing the Switch version right now for review and uh...it's starting to drive me crazy.
Note: All screenshots are from the normal difficulty setting. Also, here's a link to the youtube superplay I'm going to occasionally reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvFGoNxYFQE

What in the world is this pattern?
I'm watching a superplay of the PC version and it looks nothing like this.

I feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong because during the 4th boss I get this:

Enemy bullets blend in with the player-character's shot:

Here's the player-character's shot overlapping enemy bullets. This seems to happen every other frame.

During the final boss, there's a point where bullets change colors and change directions. It feels entirely random and nonsensical.
The superplay I'm watching shows a pattern that's completely different and much more manageable. Or am I just doing something horribly wrong?

Towards the end now and it just devolves into complete chaos.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm getting the sinking feeling that random bullets will occasionally break away from their respective spreads and just do their own thing.
I'll have to do some more testing.

Whatever the case, I'd probably hold off on purchasing the Switch version.
Last edited by PepsimanVsJoe on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Ouch! Lately I have been deciding which versions to buy with all those shmup coming to PS4 and Switch. I thought it maybe good idea to get the retail Switch versions and buy the digital PS4 versions when gets a price reduction.. but maybe it’s not a good idea if there are technical or playable issues..

What about lag? Noticed if there’s any or can compare with PS4?
Working in the japanese language achievement
system11

Post by system11 »

Could you repost those images somehow please? I'm curious. I've only played normal difficulty myself and it's all seemed well behaved aside from a cosmetic bug where the focus ring gets confused about when it should be visible. That and I still can't decipher the nightmare pattern on the final boss.
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

system11 wrote:Could you repost those images somehow please? I'm curious. I've only played normal difficulty myself and it's all seemed well behaved aside from a cosmetic bug where the focus ring gets confused about when it should be visible. That and I still can't decipher the nightmare pattern on the final boss.
Done.

Also, these issues seem to be exclusive to the Switch version. I've contacted the devs and they said that they're working on a patch.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Just picked this up today and played a few credits. Really fun game. Scoring system is simple and fun. Bullet patterns are cool, definitely reminiscent of cave and touhou. Artwork is nice and professional. The first boss' floating dismembered pelvis is kinda weird. Hardcore mode is probably my favorite so far. The soul ring fills up fast, so you're constantly hypering and canceling bullets and sucking in points. Really satisfying.

I'm assuming leaderboards are region locked as well as console locked? I took first place on hardcore on my second run. That can't be right.
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

Pre-ordered the Switch version, after almost buying the digital version.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Picked this up after reading this thread. Nice little package. Well presented and fun to play. Liking the graphical style.
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

The switch version of this game is currently 50% off (or $6.99). Does anyone know if the switch version has been patched to address the issues mentioned in this thread? Is it worth the $6.99 price tag?

If yes, I may have to check it out.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

seiatsu wrote:The switch version of this game is currently 50% off (or $6.99). Does anyone know if the switch version has been patched to address the issues mentioned in this thread? Is it worth the $6.99 price tag?

It has been patched, but I'm not sure if the issues have been fixed.
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

BrianC wrote:
seiatsu wrote:The switch version of this game is currently 50% off (or $6.99). Does anyone know if the switch version has been patched to address the issues mentioned in this thread? Is it worth the $6.99 price tag?

It has been patched, but I'm not sure if the issues have been fixed.
They have. I did a couple playthroughs yesterday. The broken impossible bullet patterns are gone.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Did they add in tate support with the patch?
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

Goompaolo9500 wrote:Shikhondo - Soul Eater
Now on iOS!
https://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/shikhon ... 35597?mt=8
This is a very nice port. Runs well on my aged iPad Air 2. Movement control is very much like the old Cave iOS games and it one or two finger taps for the weapons. Best mobile shmup I’ve played for sometime.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Johnpv wrote:Did they add in tate support with the patch?
I came to ask the same question. Can anyone please check this for the Switch port?
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*